Thunder Tiger Desperado Jr

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve Maines

I've just purchased a new Thunder Tiger Desperado Jr as my first fast electric and I have a question. I raced nitro boats in IMPBA District 1 from the mid 80's into the 2000, but have been out of R/C boats since then. Everything seems to have gone electric now so thought I'd give it a try.

My question is about the rudder. On this catamaran hull, the rudder swing upwards freely, I assume as a safety in case of a strike or grounding to prevent breakage. I don't see how this works when under power, and wouldn't the rudder just swing upwards from the forward movement of the hull? I don't see anyplace for a shear pin like I had in my nitro race boats with Speedmaster or Octura rudders. Any help here is greatly appreciated.

Steve

Attachments

• IMG_4948.JPG
    IMG_4948.JPG
    660.8 KB · Views: 0
Securing a rudder has to do with the potential speed of the boat. The source of power gas, nitro or electric, are not a factor. Run the boat and if it kicks up it needs some way to hold it down.
Mic

Tighten the crap out of that one bolt. You can also dimple around the rudder hole with a punch. This will help hold on to the blade more.
Mike

I contacted Thunder Tiger through Facebook, and as I thought, the rudder is held tight by a small rubber O-ring. A quick trip to Princess Auto and I had a kit with all sizes and found one that was a perfect fit.

The O-ring provides enough tension to keep the rudder in the down position, but in the event the O-ring stretches (or snaps) thereby reducing damage to the hull or rudder assembly.

Cheers

There needs to be an O-ring on the picture mark, which is the installation location. The o-ring needs to cover the plastic and blade The way to install it may be to remove the blade first and then put it on, then put plastic together. The o ring is mainly used as a buffer.
End Quote

Attachments

• O-ring Here.jpg
    O-ring Here.jpg
    105.6 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
I had a final message from Thunder Tiger to say... "we have transitioned our focus to developing commercial and military-grade vehicles." That news came as quite the surprise. No matter, I resolved the issue myself in the end.

O yea.. they have been out of the hobby market for some time now.. and being a Tawain company.. military seems like a good play!

Back