Where to put motor

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Michael Hopkins

I am building a rigger from scratch and was wondering how do you figure out were to put the motor (location) to get the proper cg

What I was going to do is finish the boat install hardware and radio gear fuel tank and the motor last but I need to know to find were to install the motor so the boat will have the proper cg .

Thanks for any help

Have you already determined where the Trailing edge of the front sponsons will be?
Joe I have 29" from the trailing edge of the front sponson to the transom my balance point on the boat is at 21'' from the transom with everything in the boat ready to run less fuel and I have the turn fin's trailing edge at 21'' from the transom .

Am I close ???

Last edited by a moderator:
You never mentioned what size you were bulding. Or if it is gas or nitro & if you plan to run a ski under the boat?

Assuming the drive dog was another 3" aft of the transom, your balance point would be 21"/32" or about 66% of the after plane, definitely in the ballpark.

Terry the hull is 40'' / with the front sponsons overall length is 42'' and from front sponson tip to end of strut with no cable it's 45'' yes the strut is extended version

Assuming the drive dog was another 3" aft of the transom, your balance point would be 21"/32" or about 66% of the after plane, definitely in the ballpark.

Terry the hull is 40'' / with the front sponsons overall length is 42'' and from front sponson tip to end of strut with no cable it's 45'' yes the strut is extended version
doesn't sound too short for a gasser. my hurricane gas rigger is within 1/2" + or - of all those measurements.

Terry can you post how you find your 66% (mathematical method)

Are you taking the overall and finding 66% of that
You're just working with the "footprint", so the distance from the TE of the front sponsons to the drive dog.

You said the TE of the fronts to the transom was 29" so i added another 3" to get to the d. dog.

To find the balance point as a percentage of that footprint divide the balance point distance fwd of the d. dog by the afterplane or distance from the fronts to the d. dog.

I made a mistake, it should be 24" / 32" = 0.75 x 100 = 75%

Think the JAE's shift the weight a little further back to compensate for the lift from the ski.

Back