When it comes to boat hulls.....

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

When it comes to boat hulls, I like to:

• Modify someone elses design to make it better

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Follow manufacturers directions exactly

• Design my own from scratch

• Total voters
well, i just started, so im putting follow the instructions because im afraid i might mess up the whole boat.

You need a forth choice that says, Change things because I can't leave well enough alone.

how bout another one saying asking intlwaters members and follow thier advice as closely as possible :)

When it comes to boat hulls, I like to:

Take years to build it :lol: :lol: :lol:

Boat mfgs put so much time into testing the boat, WHY Change it?

I know this is nitro board mostly, but anyone ever see the set up sheets on a INSANE CAT? I just did one this winter and it was spelled out perfect, and he even recommened what hardware to use.

And If any questions you could call him day or night.

Tom

Even thought I don't know much about designing boats, and I am more likely to follow the manufacturers directions, there is something about designing and building your own boat. I have desginged a few boats while bored at work and I am currently building one of them. Will it run well? Who knows. That is all part of the fun and enjoyment of this hobby. Of course to have boats that have been tested and perform well on the side is good thing just in case things don't work out as planned.

I like to scratch build from plans and more often then not it is more expensive than buying a kit.

Bob

SColby said:
Even thought I don't know much about designing boats, and I am more likely to follow the manufacturers directions, there is something about designing and building your own boat. I have desginged a few boats while bored at work and I am currently building one of them. Will it run well? Who knows. That is all part of the fun and enjoyment of this hobby. Of course to have boats that have been tested and perform well on the side is good thing just in case things don't work out as planned.
Very well said SC..

Grim

I like to follow the manufacturers instructions and then look for the tweeks they don't tell you about. They don't give away all there secrets. If they did, they wouldn't win every single time they race. My best weapon is a camera. :D

Boy do I do this different! But then again neither do I have the time or the space as I am a single parent. Anyhow I prefer to get as much info as I can, look for the best People and deals on the hulls I think I might like to run. I try to stay in the 2 to 5 year old category, as this seems to be the time span guru`s take to shake down combo`s and be willing to part with both the hulls and information. In other words I like to buy my speed, sort of. In the end though I am realizing that Rod G says it best, it is the attention to details that make the difference!!!

:lol: Hmmmmmmm........guess how I voted :p

To me the instructions that come with the boat are a guideline, or a general discription of the way the hull should be set up.

Then its up to the driver to" Peak and Tweek" to best suit their driving style.

Gene :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Flyin Rat Sass said:
And after scratching out a nice hull I cant bring myself to hanging 'store bought' hardware on it.
So, how do you plan on adjusting the thing?

Sorry,My fault.The second pic does look like the mounting bracket is there(welded on)but is not.it wil be adjusted in the regular way.pivot point in the bottom hole ,adjusting hole/slot in the top hole.

Steve,

Is that turntable also sitting on a bridgeport????????? I used to make all my own hardware in the days gone by..... mostly out of necessity ha!! Thats what makes the hobby fun......

Steve,

I put my reply in the wrong section ha!! was wondering is that turntable sitting on a bridgeport?? Made most all of my hardware in the days gone by, mainly out of necessity ha!!

View attachment 2284

Well, I pushed design my own from scratch but wish I could have punched all three. I really don't think there are many, if any boats out thier that do not incorporate at least some of the general ideas of others in the past. Scratch desigining is a lot of fun but if I were to return to the racing circut it would probably be with one of the tried and true manfactures out there with very few changes, at least to start with.

Don ;)

Steve,
Is that turntable also sitting on a bridgeport????????? I used to make all my own hardware in the days gone by..... mostly out of necessity ha!! Thats what makes the hobby fun......

I wish it were...its a rotating cross slide on my desk I'm collecting tooling as i find it while waiting for the right mill to cross my path.

Scratch desigining is a lot of fun but if I were to return to the racing circut it would probably be with one of the tried and true manfactures out there with very few changes, at least to start with.
I'm into this for the fun and experience of creating as much of this as I can.(personal satisfaction level= through the roof)I've not seen much interest in flat bottom dragboats but this is what makes me happy. :D :D :D :D :D

View attachment 2294

Back