Planning my first build

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi everyone

I don’t have the hull yet but I’m going to be building a CRC 58” fountain. This will be my first build and want to check that I’m planning things correctly.

The boat will be a surface drive so the stuffing tube will come out the transom. I don’t think I’ll be using a t bar and will reinforce the tube with fiberglass. (I’ll have to search more about that) what’s a good wood type to wedge under the tube and wrap in glass?

Speaking of stuffing tube, teflon liner or no? My enforcer has one and I’m leaning towards just using one bc I haven’t had an issue. I am a backyard for-fun runner and not racing. I go out for an hour and after, I grease and remove the shaft and wd40 when I come back in.

Also chicken or the egg: mount motor or install tube first?

Again - first build and I appreciate any help!! Thanks
Nick

Hi everyone

I don’t have the hull yet but I’m going to be building a CRC 58” fountain. This will be my first build and want to check that I’m planning things correctly.

The boat will be a surface drive so the stuffing tube will come out the transom. I don’t think I’ll be using a t bar and will reinforce the tube with fiberglass. (I’ll have to search more about that) what’s a good wood type to wedge under the tube and wrap in glass?

Speaking of stuffing tube, teflon liner or no? My enforcer has one and I’m leaning towards just using one bc I haven’t had an issue. I am a backyard for-fun runner and not racing. I go out for an hour and after, I grease and remove the shaft and wd40 when I come back in.

Also chicken or the egg: mount motor or install tube first?

Again - first build and I appreciate any help!! Thanks
Nick
Motor and motor mount first
Then put a solid shaft with the same OD as the stuffing box Tube ID

Shape the needed curve in the stuffing box tube and slide it upon the solid shaft in the mounted motor.
Glue and fiberglass in place.

BTW be sure to leave enough room between the stuffing Botox tube to get the nut off the collet but NOT TOO MUCH so the cable or wire gets to flopping around.

BTW good question

Get as much of the hardware radio box servos fuel tank and mount mock up the hull don’t mount any thing and see where you balance point is once you figure that out then start mounting the motor.I make a wood wedge under the stuffing tube it is a straight piece I use a jobber drill bit in the collect then use tubing to line up the stuffing tube there’s several sizes to get a tight fit the 11/32 is the stuffing tube the drive tube is 5/16 .No Teflon.then I make a couple wedge pieces on the side of wedge that match the angle I make it tall enough to fill the top with thicken epoxy.

Attachments

• IMG_0596.jpeg
    IMG_0596.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0431.jpeg
    IMG_0431.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0376.jpeg
    IMG_0376.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
1/4 inch jobber bit I believe 9/32 tube then a 5/16 tube that slides in to the 11/32 stuffing tube that gets hulled to the hull

Attachments

• IMG_0624.jpeg
    IMG_0624.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 0
Back