What Stock 3.5 outboard to run w/Villian?

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pisgah

I'm going to be building my Villian and was wondering what engine I should run with it, I have a new 3.5 SS and a new OS XM. I want to remain Stock/Sport class. I hate to part with either, but one will have to go since I can't afford to keep both. Do they both like the 1440 mod prop for the boat? Appreciate any help. Thanks.

Run both of the engines and see which one you think works the best. A reworked 1440 will probably work equally well on both engines.

Some guys have got the OS 21 running really well. Others prefer the K&B 3.5ss. I only ran mine with the K&B 3.5ss and it worked fine. Not really sure an OS would have made it go any faster.

JD

Well there is a difference in length in these 2 engines which can affect the handling...

I'd be asking Grimracer how the villain handles with the OS engine, (I know it works with the K&B as that was what it's designed to work with) He'll probably chime in on this thread anyway - he is very active on this board and very helpful.

Which ever way you decide to go - I'm sure you will sell the engine on IW easily - they are both desirable engines.

Hope this helps,

Tim the newbie.

Pisgah, ?

Thats a neat name... :blink: :D

I would go with the K+B. I have seen the Villain S1 realy run on an OS but the K+B just seems to be a better fit for the boat. My Villain S1 with K+B weighs 3lbs 14oz and with this setup really rock and rolls out of the corners.

Grimracer

pisgah said:
I'm going to be building my Villian and was wondering what engine I should run with it, I have a new 3.5 SS and a new OS XM.  I want to remain Stock/Sport class.  I hate to part with either, but one will have to go since I can't afford to keep both.  Do they both like the 1440 mod prop for the boat?  Appreciate any help.  Thanks.
87825[/snapback]

WHERE ON EARTH DID YOU COME BY A NAME LIKE THAT ?? PISGAH / HE HE B) SORRY BOUT THAT , HEY ???? ITS ALL SET UP, SET UP SET UP GOD BLESS

My personal preferance would be the K&B, but, the OS allows you to remove the muffler, and add a tuned pipe at any time. So, if outboards are hot in your area, you can run stock and then mod, all with the same hull, on the same day.

The OS is a better quality engine out of the box.

I say the O.S. I won the Indy Masters last year with an O.S. villain combo. I was being chased by a K&B SS villain combo. I would say It was all driver but I'm going to have to admit the boat and engine was a big factor.

Brad Beckner

I pulled down an OS for another club member last night. Nice looking engine with exception for the Nickel plated sleeve. If it had a Chrome plated sleeve it would be even better.

Does anyone know if there is a Chrome plated sleeve that fits this engine?

Tim.

Tim

I did a search last year through Tower Hobbies and found some of the car sleeves would work, but the timing would have to be changed...No big e.... Tower has since stopped posting the dimentions of the different sleeves or leaving some out..

I would look at the marine RZ's and RG's,and VZ, RS,RB car... This would be a good business for someone to have making brass sleeves and chroming,and pistons, Picco and OS are just a few of many.... You are in the right area Paul S. does this now in the land down under... Someone in the U.S. does it but i can't remember his name..

I have a Paris Racing Picco P5 EXR with a 8 port sleeve and his wife has a Ebay store and the P5 sleeves she has look nothing like the one I have...but she has a car sleeve that looks just like it....

Last edited by a moderator:
waterbug said:
Tim
I did a search last year through Tower Hobbies and found some of the car sleeves would work, but the timing would have to be changed...No big e....  Tower has since stopped posting the dimentions of the different sleeves or leaving some out..

I would look at the marine RZ's and RG's,and VZ, RS,RB car...  This would be a good business for someone to have making brass sleeves and chroming,and pistons, Picco and OS are just a few of many....  You are in the right area Paul S. does this now in the land down under...  Someone in the U.S. does it but i can't remember his name.. 

I have a Paris Racing Picco P5 EXR with a 8 port sleeve and his wife has a Ebay store and the P5 sleeves she has look nothing like the one I have...but she has a car sleeve that looks just like it....

87963[/snapback]

Thanks for that!

Porting a chrome sleeve - no problem, Just need to know which one to get.

FYI Paul does not do the pistons / sleeves, he sends them to another guy. I race with Paul - we are in the same club.

I happen to have a few of those pistons in my engines and they are first class! I got them done thru Paul even though I know the guy who does them......

The problem with the piston and sleeve for this particular OS is that it got run up on the shore at WOT and got so hot the head turned dark brown, warping the sleeve. That and they are Nickel plated which requires stripping before chroming. A new sleeve is the only option unfortunately.

Newbie Tim.

theringwah2002 said:
Would it be worth looking at a new sleeve and getting the new sleeve chromed?
Mark

88050[/snapback]

MY WIFE JUST RETIRED FROM A PLATING SHOP GUYS , SHE SAYS THEY CAN TAKE THE NICLE OFF AND REPALCE IT WITH CROME / IF YOU NEED ANY DONE , /LET ME KNOW ( HE HE NOW SHE TELLS ME , ONLY KIDDING )

Tim,

I have two of the p/s's you are looking for in the For Sale section.. I'l go bump up the add and you can check them out..

They are the OS 21RZ-B P/S's.

Thanks,

Charley

Last edited by a moderator:
I run an O.S. motor on my boat (not a villan YET). I got it from Bob kinsel and it has lasted 2 seasons now with out a flaw. It has started every time i want it to and im still on the 1st set of Piston's and sleve's. I am pritty shure Bob said he had not put in a new one either. I think it is a very reliable engine. the K&B might be faster and have more power, but i can fore shure that my O.S. is more reliable. Looking foward to running again this summer.

https://www.intlwaters.com/gallery/displayimage...?album=88&pos=7

The boat is an old dumas hot shot- http://www.dumasproducts.com/cgi-bin/dumas...oduct/View/1320.

It has a new cowel, bottom completly redone for this season, new cockpit, ect...

pisgah said:
I'm going to be building my Villian and was wondering what engine I should run with it, I have a new 3.5 SS and a new OS XM.  I want to remain Stock/Sport class.  I hate to part with either, but one will have to go since I can't afford to keep both.  Do they both like the 1440 mod prop for the boat?  Appreciate any help.  Thanks.
87825[/snapback]

If it were me, I would run the OS. I have both the SS and the OS and I think the OS is the better of the two. As was said before, the OS is a more reliable moter and conserves fuel well. I have a stock OS on the back of my 20 tunnel and am able to run and even out run many of the guys with mod motors. Though I guess the choice is all up to personal preference and set up.

Hey Charlie,

Sorry I missed this post before.....

Mark (theringwah2002) owns the engine in question - I'm just the person rebuilding it for him - I'll let him decide which way he wants to go. The price for the Piston and sleeve is more than fair in my opinion....

The sleeve is warped - no point rechroming it in my opinion!

Back