The New Eagle SGX from CMDI (Andy Brown)

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JeremyEdge

I have had the pleasure of running Andy's newley designed SGX.

I am currently racing his 60 and 80 boat both powered by Mac engines.The 60 and 80 boat is very capable of high heat race speeds and even at these speed they handel the race water with no problem.

I have raced these newley designed hulls in nice day conditions and nasty conditions, And when I mean nasty I mean the water had 3-4" rollers and 10-12 knott winds and they still where glued to the water, even at full speed.

The now used two rear shoes instead of three is very easy on the boat during launch,even with the rediclous short pipe lengths I am running.

The 80 boat brought me a first overall at the 2012 Fall Nats,with twins,singels and top notch drivers .

I highley suggest a Andy CMDI built Eagle sgx for any commited racer.

Jeremy

Eagle sgx 80 running.jpgsgx 67 2.JPGeagle sgx 67 1.JPGsgx 80 and 60.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
i do not run these boats but have been running against them for the last several races...i can tell u they are fast and can handle the race chop

from our twins...if your thinking about running nitro riggers this is a good choice...were glad to have Andy and john back in full force!!

This will only make our nitro rigger classes grow

Great boats . I run several different MFG'ers as well and love them all . The Eagles will fly ! My 45 SG has always amazed me and it has had a HARD life !!

In 2008, I got one of the first of the new SGX designs from Andy. He shipped it to me at the World Championships in Italy. No question but that it was one of the fastest boats in the 15cc Hydro event and I was running a Kalistratov 82 against the 90's.. Too bad I don't drive as well as others. I made the Finals with the new boat, then took myself out in one of the Finals heats, hitting a slower boat.

Won alot of races and championships with mine.....no matter what the size or even the year of SG.... My 67 Eagle has been chopped in half 3 times, had sponsons broke numerous times and still keeps on running well!

242314_227465280597287_60893_o.jpg

37240_138555659488250_5176985_n.jpg

246543_443070252370121_1977932583_n.jpg

Jeremy,

Do you know why the third shoe has been eliminated? I guess it is really just a cover for the stuffing box. I am starting a eagle 90 build an was wondering if I should leave the center shoe off.

Regards

Scott

Jeremy,

Do you know why the third shoe has been eliminated? I guess it is really just a cover for the stuffing box. I am starting a eagle 90 build an was wondering if I should leave the center shoe off.

Regards

Scott
The original SG's had two rear sponsons. We later added the center rear because some engines had launching issues. While the center sponson improved the launch a great deal, the boat actually became slower in heat racing water. Most of todays engines launch well so we have returned to the two sponson system. Some of our customers still prefer the three sponson system, so we build the boat both ways. Scott, Your 91HR will have no problem pulling any kind of prop off the beach, so I would recommend two rears for you.

Jeremy,

Regards

Scott
The original SG's had two rear sponsons. We later added the center rear because some engines had launching issues. While the center sponson improved the launch a great deal, the boat actually became slower in heat racing water. Most of todays engines launch well so we have returned to the two sponson system. Some of our customers still prefer the three sponson system, so we build the boat both ways. Scott, Your 91HR will have no problem pulling any kind of prop off the beach, so I would recommend two rears for you.
Thanks for the info Andy. I must have gained a few MPH with that tip LOL! BTW I finished mounting the 91HR last night with the motor mount info you gave me.

Regards

Scott

Yeah Scott, what Andy said.lol

The boat I feel handles the rough water very well and nails the corners. I have even done a few pass's in the turns by ducking inside of someone and pass on the inside.

Hey, Scott send some pic's if you have any?
Here you go John. I uploaded more to my gallery. It looks as though the speedmaster hardware will need some modification to fit this transom.

Thanks to John Knight for helping me obtain a competitive motor (and other things).

Regards,

Scott
Now get out the Dremel and get that HR humpin !!!!!! :D

Here you go John. I uploaded more to my gallery. It looks as though the speedmaster hardware will need some modification to fit this transom.

Thanks to John Knight for helping me obtain a competitive motor (and other things).

Regards,

Scott
Scott get a Octura SS skeg strut and cut the skeg off. It works real nice. The down leg is shaped like a foil and there is plenty of adjustment with the slot in it.

Thy make a bullet nose piece and spacers to use the lead Teflon bushings. Real smooth and less drag.

That is what I used on my old SGX 90 and Andy is using this to set up the new boat on the way.

David

When you gentlemen make a strut adjustment on your riggers, do you move them straight up and down or to you change the angle as well?

I ask because I make hardware that is FAR superior to that of other manufacturers.

I'll put pictures up later today.

Regards,

Scott
Scott get a Octura SS skeg strut and cut the skeg off. It works real nice. The down leg is shaped like a foil and there is plenty of adjustment with the slot in it.

Thy make a bullet nose piece and spacers to use the lead Teflon bushings. Real smooth and less drag.

That is what I used on my old SGX 90 and Andy is using this to set up the new boat on the way.

David
We have been using the "Short" Octura Stainless strut on the big boats as David notes. They are working great.

Steve, The struts must adjust both ways.

Andy, I have made a simple change to the strut that has made it immensely easier to adjust both up and down and tilt.

If you'll PM an address and a phone number to me, I'll send you one and you can see what I have done. It was really a super simple change.

Got my new boat today and it is very nice to say the least.

Thanks Andy killer boat.

Like the new design on the transom with dowels to pin it in place and glass reinforced.

Also very nice glass work in the eng bay and fuel bay.

The box lay out is better with a place to put a pipe mount and extra reinforcement in the tub.

David

Back