Stuffing a stinger

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As I recall, I thought the IMPBA rule was you only had to put on a muffler. Not sure if it is a DB limit. Looking it up now.
Mike

F. Noise Rule At all IMPBA sanctioned events all boats MUST meet the following conditions, and boat operators accept the included mandates.
1. A commercially available noise measurement device (Radio Shack or equivalent) must be used. The noise measurement device will be set to the "A" weighted measuring scale, fast response.
2. The maximum allowed dB level for IMPBA Sanctioned events will be 92 dB.
3. Measurements must be made from the shoreline area, between buoy #6 and the starting line. The measuring device will be set at a minimum height of 4' to 6' above the ground, with the device pointed approximately 90 degrees to the running path of the boats 25 feet back from the waters edge*. Stable mounting such as a tripod is strongly recommended. Care should be taken to assure the operator of the measuring device is in a safe location. LAST REVISED March 2019 K - 2 Technical Standards
4. If more than one measurement is made, the highest reading will be used. At the discretion of the CD, a participant may be required to make a solo run to determine a dB reading. If a participant refuses to make a solo run, they will be disqualified from the event.
5. Measurements will only be made on boats that are on the race course, and are well under way (i.e., not getting on plane or being launched or in the pits). The boat should be traveling approximately perpendicular to the direction the measuring device is pointed, and the boat should be located approximately in front of the measurement device in one of the racing lanes on the front straightaway.
6. Measurement of the noise level should ideally be performed by the CD, but he/she may be assisted by others appointed by the CD if this is not practical.
7. A competitor must be warned promptly after the CD determines that their boat exceeds the dB limit. If during the subsequent round the boat still exceeds the dB limit, the boat will be disqualified from competition. All points earned during the previous rounds will be valid.
8. The host club shall provide the measuring device.

If you run an aftermarket muffler you will be fine. It is 92 which is higher than NAMBA. Some of the good pipes we use nowadays come with the muffler built in. Those meet the rules.

I have seen a 21 motor meet the rule without an muffler. Its high pitch makes it feel like it dont.
Mike

The boat should be traveling approximately perpendicular to the direction the measuring device is pointed, and the boat should be located approximately in front of the measurement device in one of the racing lanes on the front straightaway.

45 degree elbow on the end of the stinger, turned into the center of the course or downwards towards the water will divert sound waves away from the shore.... just sayin..
It's all in the interpretation of the rules..

Back