Which is the quietest.45 muffler?

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kez

What is the most quiet .45 size muffler? I have only used the Prather muffler plus another unknown make that I can inject water into. I have found the Prather muffler to be very loud. I even tried an internal stinger but it does not muffle the bark too much. Combining a Prather muffler with an internal stinger reduced the noise a little. But it is still too loud for me.

I would think a muffler design that is not a flow through type should work better. What’s your recommendation?

Thanks, k

What is the most quiet .45 size muffler? I have only used the Prather muffler plus another unknown make that I can inject water into. I have found the Prather muffler to be very loud. I even tried an internal stinger but it does not muffle the bark too much. Combining a Prather muffler with an internal stinger reduced the noise a little. But it is still too loud for me.

I would think a muffler design that is not a flow through type should work better. What’s your recommendation?

Thanks, k
The best I've seen was the old Irwin quiet pipes.

Hardly find best MACs 7.5cc Marine super quiet muffled pipe Good Luck find one #1349

Attachments

• 3343E4F5-1D14-4EFB-AB9A-40B00233D9CC.jpeg
    3343E4F5-1D14-4EFB-AB9A-40B00233D9CC.jpeg
    20.9 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Wisper quiet.

ctqscnb.jpg

i had the black cmb 90 pipe on my 42 seaducer with the cmb 90 purple head, very quiet but back to add on mufflers, i believe the ones john otto has is very close to a clamp on prather style, i had ones for gas pipes that were chambered but restrictive, i run john otto ones on my 21 and 45 ob, they work good but wanted to try water sprayed into them , havnt yet but sounded like a good idea?

Thank you all for your replies. I am actually looking for an add-on muffler. I do have a .45 Mac quiet pipe but I would need to enlarge the transom opening - something I try to avoid if possible.

Although I've never tried them, I am sure the CMB, Nova and Irwin pipes are all quiet. I have a couple of Picco 90 pipes and they do a good job muffling.

Danny, i've never tried wrapping the pipe but will give it a try when it is warm enough.

John, I bought this muffler from a IW member many years ago. Unknown make. But there is a water inlet for injecting water into the muffler. It is a flow through type muffler so it is just about as loud as the Prather. But the water seems to have some muffling effect.

Is there a muffler that is not a flow-through design? I am tempted to cut a Prather muffler in half and then weld it back with a baffle to separate the two chambers.

Thanks, k

Attachments

• muffler.jpeg
    muffler.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
Chore Boy is the best material I have found for this. Both steel wool & fiberglass insulation seemed to pack or clog quicker & the pipe was loud again.

I think the porosity of the material is the key in deadening the sound.

Good Luck & Have A Great Day !!

Ronnie King
NAMBA #1223

Attachments

• 5168344A-07CF-4B3E-BC51-FAA79AB967E6.png
    5168344A-07CF-4B3E-BC51-FAA79AB967E6.png
    7.5 MB · Views: 0
Chore Boy is the best material I have found for this. Both steel wool & fiberglass insulation seemed to pack or clog quicker & the pipe was loud again.

I think the porosity of the material is the key in deadening the sound.

Good Luck & Have A Great Day !!

Ronnie King
NAMBA #1223
Just make sure you don't carry it in the cupholder or in plain sight in your car or truck... cops love to see that !!! 🤔 🤣🤣

Hi Rick and Ronnie,
I cannot really pack the muffler with Scotch Brite or Chore Boy because I am injecting water into it. But I may give it a try and route the water out the sponson. It is a good trade if it can muffle the bark.
Thanks, k

Hi Rick and Ronnie,
I cannot really pack the muffler with Scotch Brite or Chore Boy because I am injecting water into it. But I may give it a try and route the water out the sponson. It is a good trade if it can muffle the bark.
Thanks, k
I bet it couldn't even rust with that much oil coating the wire constantly. and even if it does rust out every 2 years it would be easy to throw some new in there. Just a thought.

Oh, I am not worrying about rust. I am thinking the water may not exit the muffler completely and the trapped water may run back into the engine when it stops
Thanks, k

Back