State of Affairs for RC Boat Racing

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Never raced! never attended! but never want to! Nothing kills a sport quicker than the ATTITUDE OF THE PEOPLE! In my country the thing that put me off was fact you had to snivil,Suck up,bow down to fluff up the egos of the high and mighty RC boat racer! They think they fart perfume and can lay golden eggs! In my mind some of the most pathetic people I've ever met in life!(my opinion!!) I know this is a thread on how to make this sport move forward! But the skullduggery and the heads up ass attitudes is what's killed the sport for me! Then when you do tell people who has helped out you get people from the USA contact manufacturers like NOVAROSSI and say "take his dealership off him! As him and his company has ruined our profits and we cannot compete!" So on one hand a guy's simply saying try buying here! Or i got helped out by such n such! buy Octura or ABC props! Then the two faced backstabbing starts behind the scenes? Like they say in prison "THE MOST DANGEROUS MAN IS A COWARD" this is MY opinion! This is not ANYTHING TO DO WITH RACE SCHEDULES or anything about NAMBA IMPBA but it's a view into a sport from a beginners perspective! Nothing made me run faster from any sport quicker than RC model boating! Some of the most shifty! Snake like! Rip off artists and con men ive ever had the displeasure of correspondence with or dealing with!! Then when you do find the FEW GOOD MEN! the knives come out and there beaten down with sticks n stones!! My opinions! My words! Don't take it personally! As this my VERY LIMITED experience! If you find it offensive let me know who the moderator is and i will ask him to remove the post!
You need to try it again !!! Don't knock it till you try it ! The competition is there for sure if you pick the right class . I would love to ride one of those speedway bikes but I may be over the hill !

you will ALWAYS find a few a**holes in the bunch but for the most part, r/c boaters are some of the most helpfull,fun guys to hang out with.I have been in and out of this hobby for over 30 years and even if I have not raced in 5+ years the guy's and gals are always welcome you back with open arms and a smile.maybe it's just the area you are boating. maybe try some other lake or area to give it another shot.. PS,Foley I have tried the speedway bikes on ice with spiked tires and YES,you are way too old to try it!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Bradley you should post on the Ampba .

I dont race and never want to.. The racing scene is only big on the eastern states of Australia nsw .qld.vic

I have been over there and watched a couple of National events.Was good to watch .

I like the idea of of keeping my boating fun like even going back to old school hulls and building wooden hulls just so to keep model boating fun for me.Trying different ideas and methods on a particular boat to see what happens and like what i see..

Bradley,

Model boating is not just about racing. The majority of boaters don't ever race. It is more about the satisfaction of building a model and then seeing it work for most modelers. Modelers are the best people on the planet! When it comes to racing a lot of the newer racers are not modelers because the hobby has become more plug and play. And yes there are some bad apples like any sport. Sorry to hear you are having a bad experience but don't blame the whole sport in general. There are a lot of good people in this hobby/sport.

John

Like many people on I.W., I have been into model boating most of my life. The people in model boating reflect society as a whole. There are some truly wonderful people involved in model boating. But, there are some people that would cause trouble no matter what the activity. I can honestly say that my closest and dearest friends are people that I met through model boating.

Al Hobbs

+1 Well said Al!

Like many people on I.W., I have been into model boating most of my life. The people in model boating reflect society as a whole. There are some truly wonderful people involved in model boating. But, there are some people that would cause trouble no matter what the activity. I can honestly say that my closest and dearest friends are people that I met through model boating.

Al Hobbs

Never raced! never attended! but never want to! Nothing kills a sport quicker than the ATTITUDE OF THE PEOPLE! In my country the thing that put me off was fact you had to snivil,Suck up,bow down to fluff up the egos of the high and mighty RC boat racer! They think they fart perfume and can lay golden eggs! In my mind some of the most pathetic people I've ever met in life!(my opinion!!) I know this is a thread on how to make this sport move forward! But the skullduggery and the heads up ass attitudes is what's killed the sport for me! Then when you do tell people who has helped out you get people from the USA contact manufacturers like NOVAROSSI and say "take his dealership off him! As him and his company has ruined our profits and we cannot compete!" So on one hand a guy's simply saying try buying here! Or i got helped out by such n such! buy Octura or ABC props! Then the two faced backstabbing starts behind the scenes? Like they say in prison "THE MOST DANGEROUS MAN IS A COWARD" this is MY opinion! This is not ANYTHING TO DO WITH RACE SCHEDULES or anything about NAMBA IMPBA but it's a view into a sport from a beginners perspective! Nothing made me run faster from any sport quicker than RC model boating! Some of the most shifty! Snake like! Rip off artists and con men ive ever had the displeasure of correspondence with or dealing with!! Then when you do find the FEW GOOD MEN! the knives come out and there beaten down with sticks n stones!! My opinions! My words! Don't take it personally! As this my VERY LIMITED experience! If you find it offensive let me know who the moderator is and i will ask him to remove the post!
yup...i've been ripped off by 2 different con men on this board...

having said that, some of my closest friends are guys i race against

+1

The good ones make it worth the problematic one! I have friends from one end of the country to the other through racing.

A lot of the folks today have games on the computer and TV where they just hit reset when things do not go well. Much cheaper than actualy having a real life experience. There are lots of issues that make it hard to promote the hobby, but I don't think the organizations are fully to blame. It is just the nature of what society has become. I have had the same conversations Marty had while at the races but don't have any solutions.
John is on the write track and some others also.

When I started out 40 years ago. The RC world was plans, boat and some nitro cars.

We did not have all the stuff we have today.

In the RC world if you want to do it. Get a drone helicopter at the store and play. Get a car and play.

You don't have to go find a pond test. It take 3 day to do a boat race.

I'm in Texas 4 hour is my closest race. 10 is the long hall.

Being in it for 40 years I have not seen too many new people.

Marty has been around before I got Gray hair.

I have traveled a long way to race 1 time with John

Race with Mark. But we are still here. Our kids are not moving in to the hobby.

My son racing just to keep me Company on the trips.

It would be better to have less classes for us old guys. But I am always in to add a class if it will bring more in to the Hobby.

Over the 4O years I still see the same guy. The new ones come and go.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

A lot of the folks today have games on the computer and TV where they just hit reset when things do not go well. Much cheaper than actualy having a real life experience. There are lots of issues that make it hard to promote the hobby, but I don't think the organizations are fully to blame. It is just the nature of what society has become. I have had the same conversations Marty had while at the races but don't have any solutions.

Our kids are not moving in to the hobby.

It would be better to have less classes for us old guys. But I am always in to add a class if it will bring more in to the Hobby.

Thats part of the problem- there are no easy solutions to make this a good sell for a new person getting in - nor ANY type of advertising by the RTR Mfg's to do so- or anyone else for that matter.

Lets role play - Someone ( anyone ) SELL me on why I shouldn't just go run cars / or play with Airplanes ( rtr / foamies/ whatever ) buy a Quad Copter ( I wont say drone ) a heli. ect ............ I have 1500 bucks in my pocket and " YOUR ON THE CLOCK "
default_rolleyes.gif

So you mean i need a lake or body of water that ( people dont complain-I have access too - and I shouldnt swim for my stuff ? and a NAMBA/IMPBA site is preferred ? )

But I can fly my quad ANYWHERE for the most part --

RC Car racers are all over the place near me- I never heard of an RC Boat race.

The Local hobby shop has car and truck races and sells the fuel I need.

Heck , I can play with that in my driveway ..............

Quads/ dont even start me. FLY t ANYWHERE for the most part- and add POV- see where Im flying , return to home - ect ............

#1 killer - How much does it cost ???

Sad part is - I dont think there is any one good answer to solve it -

Lets nurture WHAT WE HAVE - Grow it from within and treat each other worth a shzt ,

cause in the long run- we didnt run anyone off because they where not having fun
default_rolleyes.gif

Just my .02

Our kids are not moving in to the hobby.

Thats part of the problem- there are no easy solutions to make this a good sell for a new person getting in - nor ANY type of advertising by the RTR Mfg's to do so- or anyone else for that matter.

Lets role play - ( like I have to do in my training classes I teach ) Someone ( anyone ) SELL me on why I shouldn't just go run cars / or play with Airplanes ( rtr / foamies/ whatever ) buy a Quad Copter ( I wont say drone ) a heli. ect ............

So you mean i need a lake or body of water that ( people dont complain-I have access too - and I shouldnt swim for my stuff ? and a NAMBA/IMPBA site is preferred ? )

But I can fly my quad ANYWHERE for the most part --

RC Car racers are all over the place near me- I never heard of an RC Boat race.

#1 killer - How much does it cost ???
That what I am talking about.

You have to love boat to play. It take time work and effort to play with boat.

Some time it like a commitment to play with your boat.

But I love my boats. I have fun with my frind. So for me it is just part of my life. I am a boater every day.

John,

I agree with you.

You are a dedicated boater for sure.

Keep Up The Good Work,

Mark Sholund

362 boats at the 2018 Fall nats! Over half of that is Nitro boats!

Texas NAMBA nats has almost 500 boats entered.

USA had more entries at the World Champs in Europe than ever before.

Lots of boats being built here at CMDi especially Twins.

New things happening at CMDi.

R/C boating is making a come back.

See you all at the Races!

We are going to have to continue with a VERY strong economy if we are going to have a chance to bring in new boaters.

I new boaters is a NEW BOATER ONE TIME.. we CAN NOT rely on that.. we have to take care of the people we have now and let that wave bring in new boaters.

I was just at the IMTS show in Chicago and I have to say.. I COULD NOT be leave the amount of people at this show. HOLYCOW.. Its been a few years but BAM.. there is PLENTY of money out there and they are SPENDING. Just a sign of economic strength thats all.

I have said it before as well.. we, the RC guy are in direct competition with another hand held device. Dollar for dollar and the amount of information and CRAP one can do on a PD.. its not rocket science. We have to get peoples faces out of there phones.

Grim

I have said it before as well.. we, the RC guy are in direct competition with another hand held device. Dollar for dollar and the amount of information and CRAP one can do on a PD.. its not rocket science. We have to get peoples faces out of there phones.

Grim
The problem isn't the phones, it's the fact that most are actually ADDICTED TO THEIR PHONES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I personally watched a friend's wife go into shakes when someone took her smart phone and left it in sight on the table but out of reach. The comment made by my friend was that she needed to have her phone close by in case one of her kids needed to contact her. When the phone was given back to her, she immediately logged into Facebook and spent the next 25 minutes going from member account to member account, just in case someone updated something that she MIGHT need to know about. Never once did she check for a text or missed call from her kids.

It's really very simple, Mike.

People are actually becoming addicted to their smart phones, Ipods, and media they view on them. Believe it or not, this is an actual medical condition, just like alcohol or nicotine addictions. If you were to walk into a school in South Korea, there are signs all over reminding the kids(who are taught to use computers starting in the second grade) that computers, Ipods, smart phones, etc are tools and nothing more. Unlike the US, very few actually have this addiction mostly due to the re-enforcement throughout the schools about how to use the tools they are taught to use. The US is, unfortunately, near the bottom of the first world countries when it comes to diagnosis and treatment of what is referred to as "media addiction" by the medical community. To illustrate this point, in Western Washington, there is only ONE treatment center for media addiction and it's located in, of all places, Redmond. Redmond Washington is, ironically, the home of Microsoft

to simplify for ya.. cus I still dont get it..

Why is it then.. that we dont have people walking around or driving around placing bets on anything or everything in site.. to the point that gambling is over used by the vast majority of the public..

I am not talking about addiction.. I am talking about cost and ease of use per device. (Boats vers phones)

WE ARE in direct competition with peoples attention, phones dollar for dollar are tough to compete with.. we want there leisure time.. THATS what RC boating is!

Grim

I understand that, Mike. I'm just saying that it's extremely difficult to compete against an addiction that is mobile, easy access and legal, at least in most states

Back