Speedmaster Rudder

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Raydee

Is there any reason why Speedmaster puts the water inlet on their rudders on the left side of the rudder instead of the right? I notice that when I turn right with my hydro's that there is little to no output. I figure there has to be a reason.

if you put the water hole on the right then you wont have much water in the straight. take a small round file and put a half round where the water hole exits the leading edge. problem solved

Ok I guess I need a bigger pond then, it seems like I am always turning ;)

I will mod my rudder Steve and see how it does.

it doesnt make a whole lot of sense.

I'd have thought that because most courses are run clockwise and intake hole should be on the right hand side of the blade. Obvioulsy right face would take the water pressure in a right hand turn and conversely the left face in the same right hand turn is more likely to have some kind of vacume or at least turbulence running across its face, rather than an un uinterupted flow water across it, is is the case with the right face.

Best be check the manufacturer : ;)

it doesnt make a whole lot of sense.
I'd have thought that because most courses are run clockwise and intake hole should be on the right hand side of the blade. Obvioulsy right face would take the water pressure in a right hand turn and conversely the left face in the same right hand turn is more likely to have some kind of vacume or at least turbulence running across its face, rather than an un uinterupted flow water across it, is is the case with the right face.

Best be check the manufacturer : ;)
That was my thoughts also. So I asked Mr. Bill McGraw why. He said that some of the rigger guys were having problems with the engines running hot so he moved the water pickup hole to the left side of the rudder blade and that fixed the problem.

My thoughts are that the guys that were having problems were using left trim in the rudder blade to make the boat go straight causing a low pressure area on the right side of the blade. :)

The high pressure side is the left side on a rudder. They skid to the outside, the inside of the blade grabs air and tunnels it down to the tip of the rudder.

I have seen the 21 rudders fold over before so I woundn't dare drill a second pickup hole in mine. I just think since we are turning right all hte time that the pickup would be on that side.

Ok Guys, here's a question! <_<

Who was the first person to make, use a water pickup rudder that you know of & what year????? :p

Don :)

I think the answer someone said about boats usually needing a little left trim, that would meen you would need it on that side or it wouldn't have as much water going down the straights. Also have heard you could benifit by losing a little water on the turns to heat motor slightly to stay on pipe.

Hi Don..

Not sure of the year, maybe 77 or 78, but I think Don Pinkert was the first to put a water pick-up in a rudder.

Steve Ball

Ok Guys, here's a question! <_<
Who was the first person to make, use a water pickup rudder that you know of & what year????? :p

Last edited by a moderator:
Steve, How are you?

It's was late 75 or early 76 that Charles Perdue ran the first water pickup rudder that I saw!!!

Anybody know of anyone running one sooner?????????

The high pressure side is the left side on a rudder. They skid to the outside, the inside of the blade grabs air and tunnels it down to the tip of the rudder.
although it sounds kinda the opposite of what you would think, high speed cameras have proved this to be true, on full scale boats. a slight deflection, as in left trim to go straight, won't cause it. it takes a greater degree of turn for this to happen. saw some of the testing & footage on one of the science channels. they were trying to figure out why offshore catamarans were spinning out. when the rudder sucked air, it also lost bite. if i remember right, blade profile, taper & PLACEMENT were the answers. why do you think rudder placement & angle are so important to our boats? the water they have to work with is affected by the hull & prop - answer - move it to better water ;) .

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Don..

I'm doing great! Just finishing up the race season here. Soon the snow will be flying! LOL How's things on the Left Coast?

Don Pinkert was the first one I remember doing it. Not to say he was the first though. That was a loooooong time ago! LOL

Team Member - OLD FART RACING

Steve Ball

Steve, How are you?It's was late 75 or early 76 that Charles Perdue ran the first water pickup rudder that I saw!!!

Anybody know of anyone running one sooner?????????

Back