Spectrum DX-3

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
seen the system used and cant fault it, only probs i have seen with the DX-3 is that the 3rd channel is quite slow adjustment compared to other Tx's , and its only a 3 model memory

i have gone to a spektrum module in a JR R-1 .. best of both worlds

Andrew

I've been running a Spektrum DSM module in my Lynx 3D for over a month with my FE boats and like it a lot. Range is over 500 feet (the longest distance I've tested it while under power on the water), and running on the IMPBA 1/6th mile course with four other boats - no problems. So far it is the best radio system I've owned and has completely cured the glitching issues I'd had in some of my higher-powered boats.

Here are the specifics of my system:

New-production DSM module and receivers - with the latest software (2/06)

6.0 volt - 300mAh receiver packs

Antenna extends a minimum 4" vertically out of the hull

New technology scares a lot of folks, and some will not accept changes. This system has been badmouthed by several here, and they are welcome to their opinion. But of those of us who have used the latest-software systems correctly, few report any problems. Past reported issues have been short range, which has been fixed for most by making certain that at least 4" of vertical antenna extends out of the hull (the antenna is 8.5" long). Receiver packs should be 6 volts. Failsafes must be preset. Minds must be open..... ;)

Disclaimer: There may be issues specific to liquid fuel models that don't show up in electrics. However - simply replacing an existing receiver with a Spektrum receiver is hardly a fair test. The radio boxes that liquid fuel guys use are not optimized for DSM, and they may be the major reason why some liquid fuel racers experience DSM trouble. You don't change from a lifting prop to a non-lifting design without expecting to change your setup - why expect the same with a completely new radio system? Change just scares some folks and they try to find any reason to avoid it. 2.4 gHz DSM may (or may not) be the final and best replacement for what we now have, and it is a step in the right direction, IMO at least. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
B) Spectrum DX-3, what do You guys think of this radio? :rolleyes:

Brent, I see you entered the Orlando District 3 race this month, its great to have you back!!

My only regret is that I will be at the Atlanta race that weekend due to poor scheduling by whomever requested that date!!

Hope to see you down the road sometime!

Ron

B) Spectrum DX-3, what do You guys think of this radio? :rolleyes:

Brent, I see you entered the Orlando District 3 race this month, its great to have you back!!

My only regret is that I will be at the Atlanta race that weekend due to poor scheduling by whomever requested that date!!

Hope to see you down the road sometime!

Ron
You bet Ron. Atlanta was filled up before i even knew about it. I am trying to bring a few of the old boaters with me to Orlando, Randy McCarty, TR Robers, Brian Williamson, as well as some new guys.

Back