Rigger Noses

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

J Solinger

What are your opinions and thoughts on rigger noses. Should they be blunt or sharp? Any theorys?

Joe,

I think rounded would be the best for the front end. Take a look at a

jet airplane, nice and round. Are you designing your own?

Good Luck,

Mark Sholund

I have a design that I have been working with on and off for a while. I have made a mold for the tub but goofed up part of the nose detail. Anyway, before i make some modifications to the mold I want to collect some input about the subject.

Sharp leading edges tend to be less stable, because they tend to hunt with very little angle of attack change. Really blunt noses work fine but they don'r cut the air so well. Look at a model airplane wing leading edge. That is more or less what you want. I ran a boat with a removable nose and tried many versions. A longer curve line on the bottom and a shorter curve line of more curve on the top with a half round wing leading edge at the very front proved to be the best for my experimentation.

John Finch said:
Sharp leading edges tend to be less stable, because they tend to hunt with very little angle of attack change.  Really blunt noses work fine but they don'r cut the air so well.  Look at a model airplane wing leading edge.  That is more or less what you want.  I ran a boat with a removable nose and tried many versions.  A longer curve line on the bottom and a shorter curve line of more curve on the top with a half round wing leading edge at the very front proved to be the best for my experimentation.
100973[/snapback]

If you look very closely, that is the general shape of both the Eagles and the Crapshooters. The Crappy is slightly more rounded than the Eagle. More rounded nose shapes without real sharp edges appear to work the best and both Andy and Stu know that.

Easy way to see the differents is to put your hand out a car window and make a fist and then lay your hand out flat and see what happens . This is the same thing that will happen to the boat. Scott

I'm using an autocad "Sinergic"also used by EMBRAER and MC Douglas aircrafts and the nose of the DC jet airplanes are the best noses you can have for your rigger.

Gill

Latest posts

Back