Recruitment or Random Occurrence?

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Andy & Others,

I agree it all starts with education first.

Our schools in America are on a downward spiral without

vocational education. How many can afford a four year degree

anymore? In Northern Michigan were are starting to see more public

and private: welding,hvac,IT,electrical, and many other skilled classes

being offered now. A good direction in my opinion. I work at Bellaire Public

Schools and we send some students into Traverse City five days a week

to receive this type of education.

Thanks For Reading,

Mark Sholund

Joe,

Thanks to you for pushing the Guest Pass through. We need all the help we can get. The local club has moved so far away from town that you need a map and a compass to find our pond. That's good for the reason that nobody complains about the noise, but bad in that nobody hears it and wants to find out what is going on. All the local hobby shops are either gone or into cars, planes, and drones, or so it seems. There are no outdoor activities in the area where a person or club could set up an informational booth. In short, many of the best ideas mentioned are not going to help us much. District 1 has so few clubs, it is sad. I did a quick check and there are about 65 million people living in D1. 65 MILLION! There are probably less than 100-150 people in clubs (that I know of) in D1, and we can get only a handful of racers to come to a sanctioned race. I don;t hold out much hope over the long run.

The schools in the 60s were changing, got to new high school wanted to take mechanics they did not offer it , let just say i was real mad because the other school i was in did, there reply was take electronics idiots. But went to trade school which we do not have alot of

When I first started running R/C boats, btw a long time ago, it was a family activity. Many of the racers were Mom, Dad and the kids. Today, many of those kids are now the adults racing boats and helping to run the show.

But, today we don't have the family turnout we used to have. There are few Moms racing and few kids. So what happened?

In my opinion we have allowed poor behavior, bad language, and temper tantrums run off many women and children. In the 70's I took my two sons to races and they had their own boats. Today I would not take an 8 year old child to some of our races because of the way we let people behave.

To attract new members and families, we need to be people that someone wants to associate with. First, CD's and club officers have to control the language and actions at boat races. When one boater threatens to beat up another boater, people watching know that they do not want to associate with boaters. When boaters lose their tempers and start throwing around the F-Bombs, mothers and fathers will keep their children away.

To make model boating more attractive to potential members, we must make our selves people that others would like to associate with.

I am lucky to have so many good friends that run model boats. But, there are some people involved in model boating that hurt us all by their uncontrolled actions.

Al Hobbs

Agreed Al to many foul words fighting and so on this is a hobby we are here to have fun i have seen alot of people leave because of this

When I first started running R/C boats, btw a long time ago, it was a family activity. Many of the racers were Mom, Dad and the kids. Today, many of those kids are now the adults racing boats and helping to run the show.

But, today we don't have the family turnout we used to have. There are few Moms racing and few kids. So what happened?

In my opinion we have allowed poor behavior, bad language, and temper tantrums run off many women and children. In the 70's I took my two sons to races and they had their own boats. Today I would not take an 8 year old child to some of our races because of the way we let people behave.

To attract new members and families, we need to be people that someone wants to associate with. First, CD's and club officers have to control the language and actions at boat races. When one boater threatens to beat up another boater, people watching know that they do not want to associate with boaters. When boaters lose their tempers and start throwing around the F-Bombs, mothers and fathers will keep their children away.

To make model boating more attractive to potential members, we must make our selves people that others would like to associate with.

I am lucky to have so many good friends that run model boats. But, there are some people involved in model boating that hurt us all by their uncontrolled actions.

Al Hobbs
Al, I like everything you said. There ARE many ,many good people involved in racing, but as the saying goes, "a few bad apples....". There have been incidents of very bad behavior, both during heat racing and afterwards. A few unpleasant words exchanged, a few threats made, a case where clearly excessive drinking after a hot day in the sun lead to the damage to several boats, etc. When there were wives and children present (and in many cases, participating), the atmosphere was a lot more family-friendly. Little amenities have faded away - like the snack "concession" we used to have at our races, run by the (non-racing) wife of a member and his two sons. The food was good and the prices were only a little more than the cost of the raw ingredients. The whole family aspect of the sport has evaporated. It may be that the younger generation has too much going on in their young lives to be able to spend some quality time with Dad and Mom, or it may be the other way around. Why aren't there any young or at least younger wives and girlfriends with the male boaters, or for that matter, why aren't there more younger women in boat racing? Anybody have an idea about that?

Fred

Last edited by a moderator:
I think you hit the nail on the head when you mentioned bad language and behavior.

Most people now days don't want to listen to foul language or threats. As far as the ladies racing, I think most look at R/C as a "man's sport" in much the same way as most guys think sewing is not "macho" enough for them to want to do it. It's mechanically intensive to get a nitro engined boat to run well and most ladies don't know which end of a wrench is which. Same thing with electric boats, most ladies don't have a clue what Ohm's Law is or the difference between a watt, amp, volt or ohm. I know my wife just figures if something is plugged in and doesn't turn on, she can call me over to figure it out. On the other hand, a coworker would be more than willing to try racing, provided there is a way for her to learn how to work on and drive the boats in an environment that wasn't condescending. We all had to start and learn somewhere and having a beginner's class with experienced help available would be a place to start

I don't think it's that. I don't see that kind of behavior that often. Yes, some people pick at each other, or protest a bit too much about a call/non-call, but it's not worth worrying about. We have the same problem that professional motor sports has. It's like Unlimited Hydroplanes. Back in its heyday, you could build a wood boat from plans, get a few surplus Allisons or Merlins for pennies on the dollar, and go racing. In NASCAR, you could weld up a roll cage in your car, drop in a big V8, and go racing.
then, as time went on and technology advanced, it just gets more and more costly in terms of real dollars to participate. every year the Unlimiteds are "can we or can't we" about putting on races because it's so expensive. if you want to be even remotely competitive in NASCAR, bring money.

and it's the same in R/C boats. This is (supposed to be) a hobby, yet if you want to get into say 1/8 scale or sport 40, you need to stump up $500-$600 just for an engine if you want to be competitive. Or you need to know (and trust) people who can sell you something used but good. I can afford to buy new stuff. A lot of the folks I race with have been doing this for almost as long as I've been alive. There are members of my clubs who have libraries of parts on hand. They blow up a CMB Greenhead? pull some parts off of the shelf and rebuild it. A newbie doesn't have that capability.

a newbie is faced with making a huge investment in something, and having to step into an established clique. It can be intimidating.

Consider this: Why do you think gas Thunderboat is popular? Because you can go get a $150-200 hull kit and build it, get a $200 Zenoah G26 off the shelf, and $150 in hardware and you've got a potentially competitive boat. Think about that. You can build a complete gas Thunderboat for roughly the same price as a nitro E engine.

In any racing series, once it becomes an arms race, the only thing which matters is the size of your wallet.

Q: "How do you make a small fortune in racing?"

A: "Start with a large fortune."

so really, if we want to get people into this, we all need to do something to help them get into it. Anything. Things like offering to sell someone a boat which is set up to run well. This is what got me into Sport 40; Chris Capaldi offered me a Phil Thomas hull with hardware for a very good price, and since he had raced it I knew it was set up right. and I've done OK in Sport 40.

Or it can be offering a helping hand to someone struggling. Joe Wiebelhaus and Bert Dygert have given me a lot of advice on modding and setting up my U-11 Peters & May, and finally this year it's a runner.

Neither of those things could have happened if someone hadn't offered me a hand.

we need a way to ease people into it. Coaching, constructive criticism, training, and all that. we're not dealing with 1.8 horsepower scale boats like back in the '80s. We're dealing with 70-80 mph monsters. my biggest mistake getting into racing was jumping feet first into 1/8 scale with an old Dumas kit and underpowered engine. and I got my arse handed to me (literally, I got rear-ended out there on the course.) And that was 7 years ago.

I feel like racing helps keeps rookies away. I've only been to a couple of races and that is not the place to get newbie help. There's a race going on... If there's not a race going on, then the only people at the lake are testing for their next race and rather busy. The "play" boaters can find someplace else to run.

I've been to a couple of club meetings interested in joining. I don't see myself racing anytime soon and I'm not running a class that anyone else is running. So the club only votes on new members at the beginning of the year. I was there and it was decided to do that at the next meeting. Showed up for that one too. I'm still not a member. Without membership, I can't drive to the pond or use the retrieval boat. My point is that if I'm not a racer, I'm second or third class and keeping the members from what they love. Racing.

I'm the guy with the under powered Dumas boat that is just trying to get it to run consistently. It's hard to do when you don't have help. Why does my boat die after three or four laps? I'm guessing and not being very successful at it.
Remember that just getting your first boat to run right and have fun doing it is the first step.

It's not my intention to ruffle any feathers here, just food for thought.

I feel like racing helps keeps rookies away. I've only been to a couple of races and that is not the place to get newbie help. There's a race going on... If there's not a race going on, then the only people at the lake are testing for their next race and rather busy. The "play" boaters can find someplace else to run.

I've been to a couple of club meetings interested in joining. I don't see myself racing anytime soon and I'm not running a class that anyone else is running. So the club only votes on new members at the beginning of the year. I was there and it was decided to do that at the next meeting. Showed up for that one too. I'm still not a member. Without membership, I can't drive to the pond or use the retrieval boat. My point is that if I'm not a racer, I'm second or third class and keeping the members from what they love. Racing.

I'm the guy with the under powered Dumas boat that is just trying to get it to run consistently. It's hard to do when you don't have help. Why does my boat die after three or four laps? I'm guessing and not being very successful at it.

Remember that just getting your first boat to run right and have fun doing it is the first step.

And that, in a nutshell, is why we don't see the sport growing. I know I'm constantly talking to people that have questions at some of our race sites. I give general information and let the people decide for themselves if they are interested or not. I like to race as much as anyone else but, at the same time, I know others won't want to get involved if they don't feel welcome to begin with

I'd say that's an issue with that specific club. we've had guests come to some of our testing sessions on the pond (as long as they're IMPBA members,) and nobody hesitates to help. the only time testing sessions are "busy" for us is if it's immediately before a race.

Back