Radio

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cudacuda

I had my first problem with my Spectrum radio in my ShockWave, I have just put a 46 OS in my Shockwave and man does it move, lot of fun, gave it gas and up out of the water, it's great, but any how, I lost radio only about 150 yards from shore. After reading about the Spectrum sounds like this radio is not for boats. I have been boating since 77, got out of the sport for about 10 years ago due to someone like my boats better than me, well I have built my collection back up to seven and still on the raise. But the real question here what is a good Specturm type of radio to buy. Would like to have one that can have various boats on one radio

Thanks for any helpo in advance

Mike

Futaba 2.4Ghz FASST system.

The 3PM (10 model memory)if you like simple or

The 3PK (20 model memory) if you like a lot of options.

I use the 3PM FASST system, works great, no problems and no range issue what so ever.

Dan.

Last edited by a moderator:
just sold a dx3r in favor of the futaba 3pk/fasst and could not be happier, get the 3pm if your on a budget and the 3pk if you want real time mixture control and a can afford premium goodies.

Sold my 2 futaba fasst system. I had 2 brand new ones. Put it in my cat and lost the radio, tried the other one with a different transmitter and lost that too. Change the battery to a new one and still lost it. Come to find out depending on the boat and how the rooster tail is coming off can create interference. Went back to pcm and no issues at at all. I really wanted to use the spectrum because I ran them in the cars and they work great, but it did not work on my boat.

Sorry to hear you had problems with the Futaba FASST system, you are one of very few.

There most have been something else than the rooster tail causing the problem, I have seen the FASST system in many types of boats and rooster tails size with no problems.

Dan.

Here's some perspective on the matter, halfway around the world from you guys, and this is my own experience, plus what I've seen happen with others.

The Spectrum 2.4 surface systems (all steering wheel TX's ), generally dont have sufficient range on the water. we've been lucky to get close to 100 meters before the system goes into failsafe from loss of signal.

The Spectrum 'full range' DX-7 2.4 stick set works fine, I have used one without any problems.

However, I am a Futaba fan and now have the 6EX FASST systems in all my boats and I believe these to be the best 2.4 systems available. I have read about guys using the Futaba 3PM successfully but the 3PM manual clearly states that this is a surface system for cars and has a maximum range of 80 meters.

Cheers

Both the 3PM and 3PK FASST system state an optimum range of 80 meters but the range has been tested and proven to be much greater.

I have read the Manual more than once and they are a surface system but no where does it say for cars only (unless I missed it) actually both manuals explain how to mount the Rx if installed in a Boat.

The 3PM comes with the R603FF Rx and has 1 external antenna.

The 3PK comes with the R603FS and has 1 external and 1 internal antenna.

The 4PK comes with the R604FS and has same antenna config as the 3PK and the

6EX comes with the R606FS and has 2 external antenna.

Anyway, I don't want to open a debate of who's right and who's wrong, just stating that if you are looking for this type of radio in your boats the 3PM and 3PK FASST (or 4PK or 6EX) systems have been proven to be the system to go for.

Dan

Also keep in mind that the 3 channel FASST RXs can only be used with the 3 and 4 channel FASST systems and the 6 channel RXs can only be used with the 6 channel and above systems.

Has to do with the encoding of the channel info. Kind of like you cannot use the 14 channel RX with the 6 channel TX.

FWIW I've been running the 3PM with both 603FF and 603FS receivers in a variety of both gas and fast electric boats for over a year without a single issue. Rock solid 100% of the time.

Mine has proven to have all the range I need for how I run (mostly heat racing).

Also keep in mind that the 3 channel FASST RXs can only be used with the 3 and 4 channel FASST systems and the 6 channel RXs can only be used with the 6 channel and above systems.
Has to do with the encoding of the channel info. Kind of like you cannot use the 14 channel RX with the 6 channel TX.

FWIW I've been running the 3PM with both 603FF and 603FS receivers in a variety of both gas and fast electric boats for over a year without a single issue. Rock solid 100% of the time.

Mine has proven to have all the range I need for how I run (mostly heat racing).
why in the world would futaba build a radio where you couldn't use a 14 channel reciever with a 6 channel transmitter, or vise versa. sounds pretty stupid to me, as long as you only tried to use no more than the channels of the reciever, there should not be a problem. so much for modern technology. sounds like all the bs when the manufactures came out with fm radios that wouldn't work. think i'll stick with my good old airtronics m8. no range issues there

why in the world would futaba build a radio where you couldn't use a 14 channel reciever with a 6 channel transmitter, or vise versa. sounds pretty stupid to me,
The reason has to do with the encoders. Making a radio that transmits a 14 channel information string but using it with a 3 channel RX would cause excessive latency. Conversely, a 14 channel RX cannot understand a data sting with only 3 channel so of information in it.

This chart shows which Futaba transmitters and receivers work with each other.

http://2.4gigahertz.com/modules/modules-receivers.html

You can also use the FASST sytem with the 3PJ. I may consider it in hte future, but since I now have about 10ea 113i receivers, I'll wait a while before changing. :D
I was going to use the 2.4 module in my 3PJS until I managed to get a brand new 3PKS with 2.4 and an R603FS for less than $300. I couldn't pass that deal up!

i run the 3PM FASST as well and have yet to have a single problem on the water. Been running it all year now, and have yet to have the failsafe kick in, and ive taken my boats further then i even feel comfortable running them at...

and i also run the antenna inside the radio box. Sofar have used it in my Gas cat, Gas mono, Gas rigger... buddy of mine in my club has also been running the 3PK FASST and now using the 4PK FASST in his Gas cat, Gas cracker and soon his Gas thunderboat. Norman Morton has also been using the 3PM FASST in his Gas Tunnel, and Gas thunderboat. NO problems for any of us, and we all leave the antenna inside the radio box.

Thanks for all the input, lots of good stuff. Think I'm going to order a 3PM. Now where would be a good place to get one. I have been looking on you know ebay, but having a hard time to buy an radio on ebay, but did buy a car once.

again thanks for all the info

hi mike

sorry to hear about your spectrum issues but you are not alone. i put a spectrum module in my 3pks and spent the whole racing season trying to get range, luckly horizon hobbies took it back before i threw it in the garbage. i went with the futaba fasst system and it works great. i use both 603 dual&single antennas and also no problems. some people have good luck with the spectrum, i was not one of them.

john virgalla

I agree with Steve 100% i stick with my JR had nothing but trouble with futaba no problems now.

i just gotta say once again "fasst rules". running on our local pond today, i looked down and realized my antenna had not been extended. at about 500' away, my cat never skipped a beat. thats 2x the range listed in the manual, WITH THE ANTENNA DOWN. throw the spektrum away and go FASST !!!

Latest posts

Back