Question for painters-priming?

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'll probably be able to get that much off of my glass Aeromarine Avenger, though. I think that you said on another post that painting over gelcoat is okay.
As long as you knock off all the gloss you should be ok. Thoroughly clean it with warm soapy water after sanding, let dry, then clean twice again with Acryli-Clean & let dry before shooting paint. B)

One of my biggest mistakes with the build of my SK Daddle and the rebuild of my DV20 was not doing enough sanding of the bare wood before I applied my sealing epoxy. I had some high and low spots that I should've leveled out with sandpaper. Now I'm leveling it out with primer :rolleyes: . Even though everything is now nice and level, I won't make that mistake again!

As long as you knock off all the gloss you should be ok. Thoroughly clean it with warm soapy water after sanding, let dry, then clean twice again with Acryli-Clean & let dry before shooting paint.
Perfect B) !

I use some guide coat on all the primer that i intend on sanding. Basically its just some spray bomb dusted over the surface of the primer. Then you sand until it is all gone. The idea is it will stay in the low spots until you sand them to the same level. There is actually a black powered you can dust on it too it reminds me of finger print powered but i don't know what that is called.

Here is a picture of the Miss Atlas primed and guide coated waiting for me to get off my lazy b*** and sand it.

my gallery

Tom

Last edited by a moderator:
So how about sealing/priming/painting carbon fiber? Are the rules any different? :p
Treat it like fibre glass. Just DON'T sand into the fibre! That is a no no. I cleared some carbon on a boat last year for a guy. That was a night mare. It took ,I think 8 coats of clear to get it smooth. Next time I'll use smooth and easy or some other finish epoxy.

Here is something esle you might want to try when priming over wood. PPG K-36 primer is tintable meaning you could add color to it. So you could tint you first layer of primer lets say blue , then go back to the natural gray colored primer. Then once you start sanding you will visually see once you are thru the other layers of primer.

I'm not sure how many other primers you can do that with.

Back