PROPER NGINE BREAKIN///

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

james irwin

HEY YALL.

WELL I HAVE SEEN IT DONE A THOUSAND TIMES ,

HEY I JUST DID GET MY NEW ENGINE BROKEN IN , MAN I RAN AND RAN AND RAN THIS ENGINE ON THE OL BOAT TODAY . I FEEL REAL GOOD ? ( I DONE AS THE MFG, SAID .) I RAN I SLOBBERING RICH FOR ABOUT ONE GALLON OF FUEL . HO HO . I SWEAR I DONT KNOW WHY THEY DO NOT UPDATE THERE BRAEKIN PROCDUR???THIS IS FOR 0LD RING ENGINES, THINK ABOUT THIS . YOU NOW HAVE A A BALLS TO THE WALL RACING ENGINE , WITH A TAPERD SLEEVE >? ( A RINGED ENGINE HAS A STRIAT SLEEVE) GUESE WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU BREAK THE NEW STYLE IN WITH IT SLOBBERING RICH, EVEN WITH ONE TANK OF FUEL . THATS RIGHT , NOW THEPISTON HAS TAPERON IT , ?? MAN I AM GOING TO THE BIG RACE TOMMORROW AND KICK SOOME SERRIOUS ASS? WHAT AHPPEND , YOU CAME HOME WITH YOU TAIL TUCKED BETWEEN YOU LEGGS. THE NEW ONE DID NOT RUN AS WELL AS YOU EXPECTED . WEL YOU LEANED ON THE NEEDLE AND THE TEMPATURE CAME UP , NOW THAT BRAS SLEEVE MOVED OUtAWAY FROM THE PISTN A FEWTenANS FARTHER AND NOW YOU HAVE NO RUNNING COMPRESSION . result SLOWE ,ENGINEHAVE NOT MODIFYED AN ENGINE FOR AT LEAST 10 YRS . WE HAVE A SPECIAL WAY OF IN AN ENGINE WTHOUT PUTING A TAPER ON THE PISTON . EXAMPLE . WENT TO SOUTHERN GA , FOR THIER SPRING RACE , MITCH ATWELLS SON BROKE HIS OS ENGINE WE DID NOT EVEN TAKE A BOAT , THIS WAS A AN SHOW AND TELL FOR THE NEW ENGINES WE HAD . MIYCH SR. CAME A RUNNING , HE SAYS TO ME , JOM , DO YOU HAVE AN ENGINE WE CAN BORROW , YES DO I GAVE HIME A BARNE NEW ONE , HE SAID , THIS IS A NEW ONE ? THE SEAL IS NOT EVEN BROKEN ON THE BOX, I TOLD HIM TO PPUT IT ON AND RUN IT , DO NOT WORY ABOUT THE BEAKIN , HE WAS RELUCTENT . OOO KKK HE SAID . WELL THE REST OF THAT STORY IS HISTORY NOW . HE , MITCH JR. WON THE NEXT 5 HEATS GOING AWAY. THAT IS ONE THEY WILL NEVER FORGET . WAT IM TRYING TO SAY IS , DO NOT EVER BREAK AN ENGINE , ABC STLE ) WITH THE ENGINE SLOBBERING , IF YOU DO YOU WILL ENGD UPWITH A SLOW ENGINE , HERE IS WHAT MY TEAM DOES , PUT THE ENGINEN , FIRE UP THE ENGINE , GET A GOOD NEEDLE ( HIGH END RACING ) THEN ONLY RUN IT FOR ABOUT THREE OR FOUR LAPS ,AT 3/4 THROTLET AND THENOPEN HER UP AND WATCH HER GO :rolleyes:

PLEASE EXCUSE MY WRITING AND SPELLING , I CAN HARDLEY SEE THIS KEY BOARD .

Last edited by a moderator:
I AGREE THERE IRWIN I QUIT BREAKIN ENGINES IN LONG AGO I JUST RUN THEM RIGHT OUT OF THE BOX LIKE I'M GOING TO RACE THEM.

James; I remember Ed Fisher telling my father and I almost the same thing around 25 yrs. ago. Should have listend better. :unsure: Greg

On my aircooled .12s I mask off the fins and run it on the bench till it gets good and hot. Let it cool and do it a few more times. I agree though.. Fitting the P/L when it's hot and at it's largest dim is the bet way to go...

Hi Guys.

I am new to this. I have a JD WOF 30, that I have just finished.

I have a new OS that is going on it. Why do OS recommend running them rich, when clearly it is not the way to go.

So when I break it in just follow Jims steps and go, correct?.

I fly helicopters with ringed engines which is the complete opposite.

Hi Guys.

I am new to this. I have a JD WOF 30, that I have just finished.

I have a new OS that is going on it. Why do OS recommend running them rich, when clearly it is not the way to go.

So when I break it in just follow Jims steps and go, correct?.

I fly helicopters with ringed engines which is the complete opposite.
Rick I follow Jims advice he has been in this a long time

I have been in the sport 20 years and this is what Jim Irwin told me 20 year ago and I have two nova rossi that have the same piston and sleeves and still run great.I do'nt break in a engine ,take it out and run the dog sh''t out of it.

Thanks Guys.

Thats what I am going to do.
Now before you do this notice Mr. Irwin said an ABC type sleeve. The OS uses a nickel plated sleeve. Many guys have had a problem with the nickel chipping off from running too lean.

~Mitch

Now I am really confused.

Even with a nickel plated sleeve do you still break it in as above,or run it rich for the first few tanks?.

Thanks Guys.

Now before you do this notice Mr. Irwin said an ABC type sleeve. The OS uses a nickel plated sleeve. Many guys have had a problem with the nickel chipping off from running too lean.

~Mitch
HEY MITCH , A . YES ,I WILL DO THE SAME THING EVEN ON AN OS WITH A NICKEL PLATED SLEEVE . JUST BE CARE FULL AND DO NOT LET IT OVER HEAT . WHAT DID I TELL YOU ABOUT THOSE NICKEL SLEEVES ? ( HAVE THEM CROME PLATED . )

Thanks Guys.

~Mitch
HEY MITCH , A . YES ,I WILL DO THE SAME THING EVEN ON AN OS WITH A NICKEL PLATED SLEEVE . JUST BE CARE FULL AND DO NOT LET IT OVER HEAT . WHAT DID I TELL YOU ABOUT THOSE NICKEL SLEEVES ? ( HAVE THEM CROME PLATED . )

hey rick were abouts in melbourn are u from

laters dion

Hey Dion.

I am out in the South Eastern, part of Melb. In Cranbourne.

I got into boats RTR stuff.

Then I started flying Helicopters. Now I am doing both, just finishing up a WOF 30 with a OS.

Need to hook up the linkages, and a few other things.

I go down to Aura Vale Lake a bit, but the rangers get shitty because of the noise.

Hey Dion.

I am out in the South Eastern, part of Melb. In Cranbourne.

I got into boats RTR stuff.

Then I started flying Helicopters. Now I am doing both, just finishing up a WOF 30 with a OS.

Need to hook up the linkages, and a few other things.

I go down to Aura Vale Lake a bit, but the rangers get shitty because of the noise.

rick if you come down 2 cherry lake in altona ther are 5 3.5 outboards down there i have a wof 30 also with a cmb ls on the back if you need any help let me know one of us will be able 2 help you laters dion

Hey Dion.

Thanks very much, I am sure I am going to need some help when I get it on the water.

Do you guys meet at Cherry lake on the weekends, or just anytime.

When I get it going I would like to come down and check it out.

Rick.

Hey Dion.

Thanks very much, I am sure I am going to need some help when I get it on the water.

Do you guys meet at Cherry lake on the weekends, or just anytime.

When I get it going I would like to come down and check it out.

Rick.
rick we meet on sundays go 2 our club site it has a calender on it www.wdmbc.com

let me know what day u are gona come down

laters dion

rick we meet at cherry lake most sundays we will be there this weekend the club has great facilitys

(rescue boat, drivers stand ect.)

i have a topspeed 2 with a mac .21 there is another guy in the club with an os

and my last engine was an os so we know heaps about them

hey greg awnser ya phone i tried calling 2 a few times 2 day and rick greg is right we just finshed out new drivers stand and the rescue boat is grate 2 we dont have 2 walk out 2 get the boats most of the time we get there just b4 9 so we can set up and start as erlay as we can

laters dion

Thanks Pulsetech and Dion.

I will try and get it ready for the weekend, if not I will come down next time you guys are there.

It is really great to talk to people with the same hobby's.

Rick.

Back