Phantom & Phantom II

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
very nice. thanks for posting pics. could you tell us what the sponson booms are made of? when do you expect to run new boat?
Hi John, I assume you are referring to the Phantom II. The sponson booms are carbon rods and tubes (adjustable). We hope to start testing the boat in August. Joe

very nice. thanks for posting pics. could you tell us what the sponson booms are made of? when do you expect to run new boat?
John
If your asking about the original Phantom booms are aluminum fully adjustable both front booms adjust up or down at the sponson mount.in side the tub in or out.

Rears had two location to adjust up or down.

Testing will start after Joe sends the .12 .67 to me ill test in Oak Ridge Tn

Hope to run Oct in Charleston an winter nats in Orlando.

Ill post vids of Phantom II running im sure build pictures Joe will post soon.

Ken

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, I know I have been talking about the Phantom II for quiet a while now, so here is a first look at the Phantom II .12 boat. Attached is a 3 view concept drawing of the little boat. While retaining the look of my original Phantom, I have brought the design up to current technologies. I am sure some of you will have different opinions of how the boat should look and how it should be rigged and I welcome all of your opinions. After all, I am designing and building the boat for you Guys so that some day very soon you can buy a kit and build your own Phantom II. If outriggers are not your thing, I think you may enjoy the building segment of photos and text. Thanks! Joe
Look Nice what kind of hardware kit ?

Well, I know I have been talking about the Phantom II for quiet a while now, so here is a first look at the Phantom II .12 boat. Attached is a 3 view concept drawing of the little boat. While retaining the look of my original Phantom, I have brought the design up to current technologies. I am sure some of you will have different opinions of how the boat should look and how it should be rigged and I welcome all of your opinions. After all, I am designing and building the boat for you Guys so that some day very soon you can buy a kit and build your own Phantom II. If outriggers are not your thing, I think you may enjoy the building segment of photos and text. Thanks! Joe
Look Nice what kind of hardware kit ?
Hi Allan, at this time we will not be offering a hardware package other than the turn fin and sponson booms, maybe the motor mount. I am sure, in the future, we will offer a complete hardware package. For now, the building manual will suggest certain hardware to be used. Thanks! Joe

I'm a welder by trade and work with many materials. I knew they were aluminum but was wondering where you obtained aluminum bar with a sharp 90 degree bend in it where it mounts to the sponson. should have been more specific, thanks.

I'm a welder by trade and work with many materials. I knew they were aluminum but was wondering where you obtained aluminum bar with a sharp 90 degree bend in it where it mounts to the sponson. should have been more specific, thanks.
Hi John, actually the sponson booms are standard (large) aluminum angle stock. The kind that can be bought in most hardware stores. I believe it was 6061 no "T" hardness. I know it was hard to cut and machine due to it being very soft.

Welder huh? My dad was the only triple A rated aircraft welder in the USA during WWII. Dad was the foreman over the B-17 motor mount department for Boeing in Colorado Springs, Co. Dad always told my Grandmother he would never be drafted because he was too valuable, to the war effort, where he was. Well, Truman told the Army Air Corp to take the best of the best for the very secret 509th Composite Group. SOOOO, Dad being the only triple A rated aircraft welder, guess what? He got drafted, LOL! My Mom and Dad were both aircraft welders. Wouldn't you know it, I couldn't run a bead if I had to! Later! Joe

Joe Bishop,

WOW, what a blast from the past! I mowed lawns all summer (OKC) in 1977 to save the money to buy a 40 Phantom. Built the boat while saving more mowing money to buy the hardware kit.

I (we) ran K&B 7.5's, on Nitrotane 50%, with a Bishop Marine Designs exhaust throttle, Octura "stock" 1462's & 1465's on that straight shaft. I remember we used to use a knockout pin from a vacuum forming machine as the drive shafts (ungodly hard). With the angle of the driveline, it used to launch great!

I had my Phantom painted with K&B metallic blue, Gold strobe on the cowl & hand painted 3-D lettering spelling PHANTOM, (robbed the scheme from one of your boats). I also remember your beautiful competition orange twin.

Good to see you playing with these again, Best wishes.

Bob

Hi Bob

Great to hear from you! Is there still anyone running boats in OKC? I looked on the NAMBA club roster and did not see any clubs in that area. As a matter of fact, I didn't see any clubs in Oklahoma period. Do you still live in OKC? As for playing with boats again, I am just designing them, I have a race team that does the testing and racing the boats. Joe

Joe,

Yes there are still a few of us that run in OKC (Del City). Rather than derail this design thread, I'll send you a PM

Bob

Hi Guys

James (eagle twin 90) had ask me about the Twin Phantom and if I was going to produce a twin Phantom II. The answer is yes although it will be a little while. I found this old photo of my prototype twin OPS .65 Phantom. Thought you guys might enjoy seeing it. I am the guy looking at the props, for what ever reason, LOL! The guy in front of the boat is Wesley Clark and the guy in the ball cap, I am sorry but I don't remember his name. The guy taking the picture is Denny Preston. Later! Joe P.S. This photo was taken in 1980.

great picture, Joe. what speeds were you able to get with that twin. Good looking boat
Hi John, I really never got the chance to get it fully trimmed. I think if I had worked with it a little, it would have been really fast. Shortly after this picture was taken, I closed down BMD and became a design engineer in the oil industry. I gave the boat to Denny Preston and never knew what he did with it. Joe

joe, i like your aluminum angle booms. did you use 8 or 10 -32 blind nuts on the sponson insides, and what thickness plywood? did they hold up to crashes ? they look like less drag than round tubing . did you go to round tubing to save weight?

Hi John

The inside Fasteners (in the tub) had no blind mounting nuts. They were 10-32 hex head bolts that were inserted into a counter-sink on the bottom of the wood support block. The heads of the bolts were then epoxied into the counter-sink with the threads sticking up. I then installed the blocks into the hull and epoxied them firmly in place. The aluminum booms had deep slots milled in the ends so they could slip through the side of the hull and onto the threaded bolts sticking up. I fastened the booms with a fender washer and a nylon insert lock nut. The sponsons were held to the booms with 8-32 socket head cap screws screwed into blind mounting nuts.

As for round tubes, yes they are much lighter. The positions, for the 8-32 blind mounting nuts in the sponsons, were doubled with 1/8" Birch plywood. Where crashes were concerned, I never knew of anyone having the booms bend or rip out. Joe

thanks for the answers, joe. your old phantom looks like a combination gator/ crapshooter. I personally like the looks of those old boats. looking foward to seeing your new build.

thanks ken, aluminum 6061 T-6 is used extensively on aircraft because it is light, strong, easily welded , and corrosion resistant. It can be annealed to T-0 just like brass stuffing boxes to make it bend very easily. we used to make rotor blade holders for the Blackhawk helicopter. we would use 6061 T-6 material to fabricate and weld the parts. Then off to heat treat to anneal to T-0. when the parts came back they were packed in dry ice to stay in T-0 and soft. at 0 temper the aluminum is pretty easily bent. your wide booms could be bent by hand! at room temperature they will harden up T-3 by themselves in a day . we would use lead hammers ( which will not dent the soft aluminum ) to straighten the weld- distorted parts.. then off to heat treat again to heat treat to T-6 . when they come back the entire part, weld and all are at T-6 hardness. pretty neat. thought you might enjoy . I'm going to use this boom set-up in my next rigger build.

Is any of the hardware still available to build just like the old days? I have a nos kit that I'd like to build exactly like the plans show.

mike b

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back