Phantom & Phantom II

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
As this forum has been derailed and destroyed by negative, abusive comments and such action is condoned by the administration of International Waters​ this is my last post and I consider this forum ended!

Testing on the boats starts this weekend. To contact me or for test results email me at [email protected] or go to our Facebook page Bishop Aeromarine. We have a new website under construction and will be up soon. All videos, photos and reports will be posted there as well.

To all the great guys I have had the opportunity to exchange ideas with and who has supported me in my effort to share my work with you, I can't thank you enough for your support! Come see me on Facebook. Joe Bishop, Bishop Aeromarine

Well folks

I guess that old saying is DEAD

If you have nothing good to say don't say anything at all

Hope every one has a great Thanks giving

I have been following this forum and I don't think any one that has commented ever saw a Phantom boat, saw one run or had an opertunity to know Mr. Bishop.

I had the opportunity to do all THREE.

In its day the boat was way ahead of most boats and very competitive.

The boat had fully adjustable front and rear sponsons, strut with an adjustable SOLID SHAFT.

It is good to see another boat design in the works. It is innovation in boats and new motors that at least keeps me interested in this hobby after 40 yrs of racing.

You know no one knows all there is to know about boat and motor design.

If all you know is what you know and understand it's like having a hammer and everything is a NAIL.

So I am looking forward to see the boat run , hopefully in Fl in Jan.

I have been following this forum and I don't think any one that has commented ever saw a Phantom boat, saw one run or had an opertunity to know Mr. Bishop.

The boat had fully adjustable front and rear sponsons, strut with an adjustable SOLID SHAFT.

It is good to see another boat design in the works. It is innovation in boats and new motors that at least keeps me interested in this hobby after 40 yrs of racing.

If all you know is what you know and understand it's like having a hammer and everything is a NAIL.

I agree Doc, I saw a Phantom 60 and Twin 60 run and they were both great running boats that were very competitive against the other riggers of the time.

I hope Joe and Ken will come visit us and race in Florida.

We need more boaters with such enthusiasm!

Joe B, Ken O,

I don't know if either of you are paying any attention to this thread anymore, but if you are, I really hope you take this as the constructive criticism it is intended as. If you go back, you'll notice that this is my first post, and I am no troll....

I actually went back and skimmed every single post, from the very beginning, and my observation is that you DON'T take advice very well if it's not what you had already decided on what you wanted. In one post you mentioned eagerly awaiting everyone's input in the redesigning of this boat. Without going back and actually counting, I'd say it wasn't ten posts later you were SLAMMING a VERY seasoned builder/racer for pointing out a PROVEN fundamental flaw in your design. There are but a handful of guys with as much model boat design experience than Charles Purdue, and NONE of them, to my knowledge, are named Joe or Ken. Just sayin'. To suggest that Mr. Purdue has no idea how to design something is so far beyond ridiculous, it's hard to comprehend. Research "Zoom Carbs" and get back with us on that, will ya? Then, you start criticizing other's designs. Not the least of which..... Andy Brown. Really?!? The designer and builder of one of the most RACE PROVEN boats on the market, PLANET WIDE?!? It's not my hull of choice, but the proof's in the pudding, as they say. You look at pictures of them online, and suddenly they won't work as well as something you've drawn on a drafting table but never actually ran.....??? Seriously?

The model boating community is always interested in something new. Always. But when that something new is nothing more than a re-hashed "something old", we lose interest pretty quick. I've known a lot of designers over my 20+ years as a toolmaker/modelmaker, specializing in prototyping and R&D. I can tell you that just because something came off a drafting table doesn't make it a viable concept. We race boats, not ideas.

The real problem here is that you decide to design something you could sell, instead of designing something to go out and run, and then commenced to telling us all you were going to turn the hobby on it's ear. Since then, you have rejected every notion of doing away with design aspects that have already been tried and disproven, and rejected every suggestion at using modern construction materials and/or methods, siting the fact that nobody here understands what you understand. All the while, leading us to believe we're not gonna believe our eyes when we see it. I can tell you that what worked in the '70's and '80's is not going to be competitive today, no matter how spiffy it looks. And for the record, yes, it DOES need to survive hitting a brick wall. At the speeds these boats are running today, when they decide to do cartwheels down the back stretch, that water about is like rocks. If a boat comes from together the first time it stuffs, you surely won't sell many of them.

The reality here is that you had the opportunity to truly present a modern retooling of something that was apparently a very competitive boat in it's day. Had you only approached it the right way. Collectively, there is way more knowledge and experience here than any one person could hope to retain, and none of it is accessible via drafting board. It has been offered up with the best of intentions and callously batted away, citing "negativity" and "jealousy". But as the old Chinese proverb goes, "It's hard to fill a cup when it's already full."

Personally, I can't get my head around this "mass production" design process you got going on. When I set out to build the boat that I build, I cheated (I'll admit it). I took an already proven hull, scaled it down to a size that the builder of that hull doesn't build (with his blessing, of course), built ONE and tested it relentlessly for two years, making small adjustments to account for the downsizing and/or miscalculations. I really had no intentions of selling any of them until I was approached about building some for a couple of my buddies. I don't think I've built as many kits as you've prototyped without getting any of them wet (as best as we can tell).

My suggestion is that you humble yourself and take yourself to the pond with one of your seventeen hulls. Most of us who design and build, do so one at a time, but whatever.... Go and make some roostertails, and then see if there's any interest in what you've "created". If there is still any interest, then you've done something worth tooting your horn about.

And for what it's worth, the moderators here DON'T condone harassment in any way. What they ALSO don't condone, is somebody lashing out at somebody trying to help and then trying to play the "harassment card". Again, just sayin'.

Thanks. Brad.

Titan Racing Components

BlackJack Hydros

Model Machine And Precision LLC

Last edited by a moderator:

Doc, while I agree with you on a lot of things, I disagree with you VERY STRONGLY on this

I to, knew of the things that you mentioned. I tried to run his phantom 60 quiet a few times. The man and the company that I worked for in Los Angeles bought the sole rights to them and also had the west coast rights to the Rossi engines at the same time. They were free to me use anytime. Like you said, the boat was completely adjustable, so much so that it would not stay adjusted. I could get it to run decent but it would not stay that way for very long, especially in rough water. Things would always change on it or come aloose. If the sponson brackets did not move where they were set, they would bend. Very poor design. They were so bad that no one that knew anything about them would buy them. Most of them ended up covered with dust in the back of a warehouse in Los Angeles

As for Joe Bishop himself. I can educate you on him and some of his actions. I will put it to you this way, they are not anything that you or I would admit to or brag about if we had done them. This is not just an opinion or hearsay, these are facts. I was there.

Charles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back