Outboard Motor verses Inboard Motor that acts like an Outboard

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Because people like myself, Gabe, Shane, Otto and others believe what they (Otto and shane) are doing is leagal and I say BRING IT ON :)

Those were the days LOL

Our team chief unfortunetly passed away earlier this year was a hard loss on all of us and his family.

We here in the UK do not have rc events like the states and other countries and f1 tunnels are few and far between

F1 should stay outboard like its always been but times change for all motorsport and inboard is coming to F1 series

So rc will follow suit at some point.

whether they run together or in different classes

Last edited by a moderator:
Those were the days LOL

Our team chief unfortunetly passed away earlier this year was a hard loss on all of us and his family.

We here in the UK do not have rc events like the states and other countries and f1 tunnels are few and far between

F1 should stay outboard like its always been but times change for all motorsport and inboard is coming to F1 series

So rc will follow suit at some point.

whether they run together or in different classes

Yes, I agree. If they come to the RC Tunnel class then there should be different classes, INBOARD Tunnel Class and OUTBOARD Tunnel Class....... ;)

Because people like myself, Gabe, Shane, Otto and others believe what they (Otto and shane) are doing is leagal and I say BRING IT ON :)
Kris,

So you think its legal to run an INBOARD mounted engine in the OUTBOARD Classes? WOW, that really surprises me......... :blink:

I saw John O's tunnel with the "Outboard Drive System" being discussed at Hobart. Maybe it wasn't "dialed in," but I didn't think it gave John an advantage. Having raced as long as he has definitely gives John O. an advantage.

JD

Wow! This is out of hand, why cause this type of controversy? O/B is out side the hull its just that simple, what is the reason for all this? Is an I/B tunnel class needed? but then wouldn't that be the same as a cat almost? Is their a picture of this boat? is the motor actually inside?

I saw John O's tunnel with the "Outboard Drive System" being discussed at Hobart. Maybe it wasn't "dialed in," but I didn't think it gave John an advantage. Having raced as long as he has definitely gives John O. an advantage.
JD
Jerry,

Glad you joined in. I guess my concern is that we are opening the outboard classes up to now allow inboards. There seem to be others that are now building hulls designed around this concept. If it doesnt stop now, the classes are going to be filled with inboard boats. That is and has never been the intention of this class. The first outboard race ever posted earlier was to announce the development of K&B's outboard engine for these very classes. If we do not stick to the rules for outboards,are we going to allow inboards to then run in the outboard hydro and outboard gas classes as well? I am totally against that happening and it needs to be addressed now.

Wow! This is out of hand, why cause this type of controversy? O/B is out side the hull its just that simple, what is the reason for all this? Is an I/B tunnel class needed? but then wouldn't that be the same as a cat almost? Is their a picture of this boat? is the motor actually inside?

Yes, the boat has an inboard engine and has been allowed to compete at IMPBA Sanctioned events, (probably NAMBA as well), and has not been challenged. I saw the boat in Charleston formthe first time and from what I was told, has been at several sanctioned races. The results of what is going on here can destroy the intent of the OB Classes, and after seeing Shane's post where he was building one as well, I felt it was time it was addressed. Everything else aside, (advantages, no advantages, competitive, not competitive, newbie driving it, or seasoned racer driving it), the fact remains that it does not meet the classification where it is being allowed to race.

It looks like to me the word( outboard )tunnel means nothing anymore I cannot belive we can'nt run the the classes as they are intended to be run!!!!!!!!!!! Pretty soon they will be to expensive to run, why not just have no rules at all! Maybe there should be a VOTE of some sort?Im sure RON is not the only one that knows what a true OUTBOARD is..

Dick

i agree with you Ron. outboard means engine out.

So If I took boat let's use the vision for example and moved the transom In 3 inches and mounted the motor there ,because it's in, you wouldn't call it a outboard? You say outboard means out , I guess all outboard should go straight across sponson to sponson

LOL let me know whats going before I fly all the way there to the WTC, Might have to build another tunnel :blink: :lol:

The simple fix to this technical issue is if instead of a flat vertical transom, you were to cut that out and replace it with an angled wedge block, that's cut with say a 10-20 degree angle. Then you could mount the lower unit on that block on this new "transom" and it won't be mounted "inside" the hull. Then it is still essentially flat enough to mount the unique lower unit that you are wanting to use while still enabling it to function properly. Bamm, you now can use your lower unit and it can still be mounted on the "transom" therefore classifying it as an outboard. Case closed.

-Jr.

Ahh Guy's,

The industry standard has been outboard or I/O (inboard outboard) from tha get go.

Both raced successfully, Is this a new hybrid?

As far as the rules in R/C, I cant comment there,

Guess we need a pic.......

Gene

The simple fix to this technical issue is if instead of a flat vertical transom, you were to cut that out and replace it with an angled wedge block, that's cut with say a 10-20 degree angle. Then you could mount the lower unit on that block on this new "transom" and it won't be mounted "inside" the hull. Then it is still essentially flat enough to mount the unique lower unit that you are wanting to use while still enabling it to function properly. Bamm, you now can use your lower unit and it can still be mounted on the "transom" therefore classifying it as an outboard. Case closed.
-Jr.
Bingo we have a winner , but I still think some people won't think it's a tunnel enough .

Jr thinking about putting rockets on it to ,think people will have a problem with that to ( LOL)

NAMBA

1. General

a. An outboard motor is defined as a complete internal combustion power and

propulsion unit that can be attached to and removed from the hull as one unit.

b. The outboard will be the single means of controlling the direction of the boat

-Jr.
Bingo we have a winner , but I still think some people won't think it's a tunnel enough .

Jr thinking about putting rockets on it to ,think people will have a problem with that to ( LOL)
Shane,

Jr is correct. Just look at a Aeromarine tunnel and you will see what he is describing. The transom is the vertical support on the rear of the center section, (stern) of the tunnel hull. If you want to remove the current transom, cut the top and bottom decks, move the vertical transom into the hull or stern 3", and mount the engine on the new transom, you would have an outboard.

NAMBA1. General

b. The outboard will be the single means of controlling the direction of the boat
Plus it must be an outboard engine. OUTBOARD ENGINE is the key statement here.

NAMBA

1. General

Maybe I just didn't look close enough, but I thought John O's OB pivoted to turn the boat. It was something I'd call, "Functionally Ugly." Could this potentially "FU" outboard racing? I don't think so.

JD

NAMBA

1. General

Maybe I just didn't look close enough, but I thought John O's OB pivoted to turn the boat. It was something I'd call, "Functionally Ugly." Could this potentially "FU" outboard racing? I don't think so.

Jerry,

You are kidding right? The key words here are Outboard Engine. The other statements are to do with the drive and steering system. On outboard tunnels you must allow the engine and drive to move together. With an outboard hydro, you are allowed to lock down the turning of the engine and use aux steering. In both cases the engine still has to be OUTBOARD. This is crazy. Some of you guys are veterans of this hobby and have forgotten the basic rules of I/O and Outboard engines?

JD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back