Octura Wing Ding 60

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello,
I bought this kit brand new in around 1985, Wing Ding 60. Built it at that time with advice from a experienced rc boat racer in Sacramento. There is a 2° wedge between the strut and transom. 3/16" flex shaft, strut, rudder assembly from Octura. Turn fin moved out to the sponson and a K&B 67. I ran it about 4 times through the yrs. But when it goes through the turns, the tail likes to bounce up and down a little. I still have the boat. If your interested, I can show you a paper with the sponson, strut, total weight and cg.
Arne.
Had one painted exactly like that. In about 88

Hey Kumar,
I would recommend putting some type of rubber assit engine mounts in the boat.The sponson bolts were coming loose alot. Also, run the widest aluminum sponson supports they made. In the picture, the boat has the shorter supports, but I ran extensions to push the sponsons out wider.

Attachments

• 20230210_211503.jpg
    20230210_211503.jpg
    644.2 KB · Views: 0
Thanks Arne for the technical specs.

As far as extended sponson brackets, I now see the extensions. How did you go about making those extension? I would imagine that the sponsons being more spread would aid in the stability.

Thanks again,

Kumar

Thanks Arne for the technical specs.

As far as extended sponson brackets, I now see the extensions. How did you go about making those extension? I would imagine that the sponsons being more spread would aid in the stability.

Thanks again,

Kumar
exactly, aides in stability (cornering).

You can make extensions using aluminum plate (5/32" to 1/8" thick):
using the sponson-side of the Wing Ding brackets as a guide (if you know what I mean?)- ie. place the Wing Ding bracket, sponson mounting side, over the aluminum plate, trace the mounting holes onto the plate. Trace outside edge of brackets onto the plate (to form the width of the plate). The plate will essentially be nearly square-shaped, with two sets of equal-distanced holes (matching the Wing Ding bracket sponson mounting holes).

Last edited:
Back