Novarossi Toro Nero

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

avbrando

Just completed a jae 21 and installed a broken in toro nero and it just doesnt come up in revs, this engine was insane in my truck but now is a real pooch (maybee 30 mph), the boat is not raced, reliability is most important, my current setup is..

1. sullivan 8 oz (no clunk)

2. odonell 30%

3. factory shimming (4 shims approx .8)

4. macs pro non muffled (8.5")

5. zip 1450 mod prop

6. toro nero x long stroke 7 port, fox remote needle, modded carb

Thanks in advance

Brandon.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't know anything about that engine,.. but your pipe length is way long,.. but it still should run much better than 30mph. SHorten the pipe to 7 7/8,

Take the HSN out to where it takes 4-5 seconds to rev up when you open the throttle. Run it and lean out till it comes on the pipe.

Prop should be ok,..

Hope this helps.

Thanks, i also forgot about the modded carb (needles removed, spraybar back cut)

i'll try shorter pipe this weekend.

Thanks, i also forgot about the modded carb (needles removed, spraybar back cut)

i'll try shorter pipe this weekend.
That sounds like the mod Glenn Quarles does. I had it done on the NR.12 that I have. It works great. Shouldn't be a problem. I heard that O.S. remote needles are the way to go. I have one. I know that other people use others without problems, but....I haven't tried personally.

I bet the head clearence is huge. Set it at around .008"-.010" and get some 50-60% fuel. You need revs man not torque.

Just completed a jae 21 and installed a broken in toro nero and it just doesnt come up in revs, this engine was insane in my truck but now is a real pooch (maybee 30 mph), the boat is not raced, reliability is most important, my current setup is..

1. sullivan 12 oz (no clunk)

2. odonell 30%

5. zip 1450 mod prop

Thanks in advance

Brandon.

Brandon,

Set head clearance to .008-.010 as noted before. Get pipe to about 7.5". If you have the $$$, get a Woods/Cooper 21 pipe from Steve Woods. It is better (a lot) than the Macs pipe. Look at a smaller 1450 or H-7 prop. Going up to 50% or more nitro will help but less than the other changes recommended.

1. sullivan 12 oz (no clunk)

2. odonell 30%

5. zip 1450 mod prop

Thanks in advance

Brandon.

How heavy is your boat? Whos strutt?

Brandon, this motor should push just about any .21 hydro faster than 30! Like the other guys have said, lower the head clearance...if it still has the stock shims, take out one of the alum (.012") and the copper shim, and add one .004" copper shim. This should put you around .008-.010. To do this you will need to mod the botton of the head button by removing the red O-ring and filing/maching off the outer lip on the head button that held the O-ring in place (this lip will hit the top of the case before the head button completely seals against the liner). I will be happy to do this mod for you for the cost of the shipping back to you.

You should also be able to shorten the pipe.

This motor make tons of torque so a 1450 should be NO problem for it.

Let me know if you continue to have troubles.

Glenn

Do you have any pictures of this boat? The head clearance is important yes .... but it is proven that .020 will work awesome also.... have seen 70+ with that clearance

Some guys have hit on it, already... theres almost certainly no way the clearance can be right with 4 shims in it..... doubtful, and i think even if you 4 .001's... which you dont get factory anyway.... check it.......I've run them from .006 to .010 for years nitro dependant.... Glenn's around, and correct me if I'm wrong, but the TN is a marine modified buggy engine.......inherent with the timing/ports and other engineering feats designed into it. Taking this into account, what they may lack in torque they make up top end, ( modified intensive) a pipe change to the 3280, ( better torque) or the newer cooper S ( this pipe, for me, takes top end to new heights, but prop diameters change accordingly).... both around 7.75 to start, in from there, and hang on....... Have glenn do the button work, if you may, also.... it'll work great... how much water to it, as i'm leaning towards a tight engine yet, too?..... something aint right, is all, as even on 30%, 50 to 60's off the table should be there.... search for it, it's there, and hang on tight.... mike

the boat weighs 4.25 lbs w/out fuel and has the z strut, the engine has about 2.5 gallons on it(restricting water with small hole in the water jacket) i'll try shortening the pipe, pulling some shims and will look for a better pipe, any opinions on the best way to launch the boat?

i really want to say thanks to the best group of guys on any forum i've visited, your help is greatly appreciated.

the boat weighs 4.25 lbs w/out fuel and has the z strut, the engine has about 2.5 gallons on it(restricting water with small hole in the water jacket) i'll try shortening the pipe, pulling some shims and will look for a better pipe, any opinions on the best way to launch the boat?

i really want to say thanks to the best group of guys on any forum i've visited, your help is greatly appreciated.
with 2.5 gallons on it, is well broken in (especially if you ran it in a buggy/car before). Adjust the head clearance, get a good pipe (3280 or wood's s) set it as mentioned above, and hold on. Once that thing ignites, you will be grinning from ear to ear :D

When you have the right pipe and prop a 1450 should be fine,this boat will launch easy and hit the pipe before bouy 1. What fin is on it? show us a few pics,remember too much drag and no engine will pull it

just got my cooper pipe yesterday and can't wait until sunday for testing, the fin is from zip

changes will be:

1. pulled 1) copper and 1) alum shim .017" (was .034")

2. cooper "s" pipe (7.75" plug to weld to start)

3. 1450 prop and smaller

will try higher nitro/less head clearance later.

Thanks again for the help!!!

holy cow .034 head clearence.. lol ya that would be it.. you couldn't blow the thing up on the beach if you tried.

with the cooper s pipe you need SMALL DIA props.. 45mm or 46mm or 47mm no bigger so if you are trying a full blade 1450 with that pipe it is not a good choice

keep us posted

chris

Brandon,

ABC H-5's,and H-6's should work very well with the S-pipe.

If you want to pull huge propeller diameters stay with a OPS

3280 pipe just under 8". The S-pipe is for a HIGH RPM set up.

You need to get that head clearence down to .008" for that motor

to really start working well with that S-pipe.

Have Fun Testing,

Mark Sholund

finally got to test the new cooper pipe on sunday (between rain showers and in rough water) the engine came up on the pipe almost instantly, even after backing off the throttle then back on. started with an x442 and never got to test larger props but it looked promising, still looking for a header that is short enough to get the right pipe length without the pipe hanging so far away from the hull.

Thanks again for the help..

finally got to test the new cooper pipe on sunday (between rain showers and in rough water) the engine came up on the pipe almost instantly, even after backing off the throttle then back on. started with an x442 and never got to test larger props but it looked promising, still looking for a header that is short enough to get the right pipe length without the pipe hanging so far away from the hull.

Thanks again for the help..
Glad you are making some progress. The Nova header can be cut short enough with no problems. I am interested in hearing about your testing after you have a chance to try bigger props...it has tons of torque and is much happier with a bigger blade (mine runs better with a cupped V947/3 than it does with 1450's, etc). A prop that is way to small will cause as many problems as a prop that is to big.

Keep us posted.

Glenn

Brandon,

Do you need some test propellers for that motor or what?

Do you have any H-5's,H-6's,etc.?

Let Me Know,

Mark Sholund

Brandon,

Do you need some test propellers for that motor or what?

Do you have any H-5's,H-6's,etc.?

Let Me Know,

Mark Sholund
iv'e got lots of octura "x" props (x440 and larger), a 1455 and the zip mod 1450 to try but nothing from ABC.

Back