Nova Rossi Toro Nero .21-M OB Conversion

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jerry Dunlap

Supporting Member
The weather finally improved providing an opportunity to run my TS3 with the new Nova Rossi Toro Nero .21-M.

1. Glenn Quarles set up the engine with the OB conversion package from Mark Leyde.

2. Toro Nero power head on an O.S. MAX lower unit

3. 50% nitro fuel/ 0 MD #8 plug/ Cooper Pipe

4. Sharpened/balanced Octura M440

5. Glenn told me to run w/o the water cooling.

Impressions:

1. I started the engine last week outside the shop and it started very easily. Same easy starting today.

2. I ran two tanks of fuel through the engine at a fairly rich HSN setting.

3. Although I only make two runs with the engine a bit leaner, the engine was definitely providing power with plenty of exhaust still coming from the pipe.

4. The boat was going faster than the previous mod engine I had on it - CMB 21 RS

5. The engine was easily pulling a prop the CMB would not pull.

6. After running 3 minutes at full or very close to full throttle, the head temp was 185 F measured with a Fluke laser temp gauge. Glenn tells me that a good temp for the engine.

I'm looking forward to racing 20 Mod this year. Eric Bourlet is going to have to run more than 1/2 throttle to stay ahead of me. :D

JD

Jerry

Try some more prop on it,maybe an X442 or X642(cut down). My 35PLUS21 has pulled an X646 ok.

Bob Kensill

have to agree with bob, jd. a x442 reduced & backcut has become my favorite tunnel prop.

What Nova Rossi is the Toro Nero based off of? What makes the Toro Nero different?

Last edited by a moderator:
What Nova Rossi is the Toro Nero based off of? What makes the Toro Nero different?

[/quote

Like Tim says, it is a "super long stroke" motor. It is not based on any other Nova, it is completely different. I have been testing the inboard and am very impressed. It is VERY torqueeee (sorry for making up words, but I think you get the point) and VERY easy to use. It has some very different stuff done to the sleeve.

Glenn

Thanks Glen, have any trimming numbers?
Tim, they are low, car type of timing numbers on the exhaust, but pretty high on the intakes (I think...I haven't measured one, just going info from a friend). As I understand it the intakes are in the 134ish range and the main exhaust port is 165ish and the exhaust boosters are around 175ish.

I am having one modified to get the numbers up to more "boat" kind of numbers so we will see what that is like. I am perfectly happy with the stock numbers to tell uou the truth. Tons of torque, but still has good rpm.

GQ

Back