Not a boat

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey Mike Z,

Brings back GREAT memories of teaching my 10 yr old son to fly his Li'l Wizard in 1990! He then got me into the rc boats a few years later, we know what that lead to....... My list of models when I was boy include Cox PT19, Skyark, Stuntman 23, Lil Toot, Beechcraft Staggerwing, Shoestring, Stuka, several Lil Satans (my favorites), and a couple free flights. Had a "club" of 4 friends that lived and breathed CL planes for several years.

Wallster

Carl, this has been a fun trip down memory lane, thanks for sharing.

that it has Wally.

Dick, you said '78? SHEEEEET I was there and helped pit in A and 1/2A speed for the Margaridos. Fred and Joice. I did not fly there but pitted for our

group.

GO FIGURE!!!!!!! Best I was been able to do back then on OLD FUEL was 189 on monoline and 176 on 2 wire with the uprite.

Oh,I still have a few Fox 36X BB motors laying around and might be tempted to build a couple combat planes as well.

got any plans laying around I can build from?

Carl

here are a couple pics I took EARLY this morning of whats is hanging in the garage.

DSC00111.JPG

DSC00110.JPG

Wow Carl. We should bring u-control planes to the pond and fly. We used to do that in the early 80s. One problem......mine are all gone. Ran out of room when I started boating. I spent all winter building my first u-control. about 12 years old. When Spring hit my dad took the handle to show me how to fly. He did one wingover and totally destroyed the plane. I then built a flite streak and flew it myself. Worked great! Then a friend of my Dad's gave me about 5 really nice planes that included a huge ringmaster, Sopwith camel, and others. The ringmaster flew great and had a lot of pull but one day the engine sputtered while straight over my head in a wingover and it headed right for me like ray's situation. It did not survive but I did. That is when I decided not to stunt the Camel because it was too pretty to take the risk after that experience. By the time I was fifteen I had the whole cellar of our house filled with airplanes. I picked up old bikes, fixed them up, and sold them to make the money to buy airplanes. Then R/C came along. My best memory is a huge plane I had where the fuselage was actually made of 1/4 inch plywood. I wanted to show my Mom how I could fly so her and Dad drove out to Fentress field to watch me fly the beast. I was doing great until the reed system stuck. Not very reliable system of switches on the transmitter. Not proportional like today. I was in a dive and threw the up switch but nothing happened and the plane hit the runway and literally exploded. My Mom looked at Dad and said " why did he do that." After that day when ever I went flying Mom would say " bring a paper bag so you can bring home all the parts."

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow Carl. We should bring u-control planes to the pond and fly. We used to do that in the early 80s. One problem......mine are all gone. Ran out of room when I started boating. I spent all winter building my first u-control. about 12 years old. When Spring hit my dad took the handle to show me how to fly. He did one wingover and totally destroyed the plane. I then built a flite streak and flew it myself. Worked great! Then a friend of my Dad's gave me about 5 really nice planes that included a huge ringmaster, Sopwith camel, and others. The ringmaster flew great and had a lot of pull but one day the engine sputtered while straight over my head in a wingover and it headed right for me like ray's situation. It did not survive but I did. That is when I decided not to stunt the Camel because it was too pretty to take the risk after that experience. By the time I was fifteen I had the whole cellar of our house filled with airplanes. I picked up old bikes, fixed them up, and sold them to make the money to buy airplanes. Then R/C came along. My best memory is a huge plane I had where the fuselage was actually made of 1/4 inch plywood. I wanted to show my Mom how I could fly so her and Dad drove out to Fentress field to watch me fly the beast. I was doing great until the reed system stuck. Not very reliable system of switches on the transmitter. Not proportional like today. I was in a dive and threw the up switch but nothing happened and the plane hit the runway and literally exploded. My Mom looked at Dad and said " why did he do that." After that day when ever I went flying Mom would say " bring a paper bag so you can bring home all the parts."
Bring a paper bag......LMAO
default_laugh.png

Lot's of 049 C/L for me starting at eight years old, still have the scars to prove it!
default_smile.png

R/C airplanes at 14, then boats shortly after. Delivered papers and worked in restaurants to pay for it.

I guess it's in the blood...

My father had a COX .049 in a Spitfire. Came fully RTR in a box from hobby shops. They met the ground quickly
default_smile.png

But fun machines.

Good looking planes Carl, John and Ray yep crashed a bunch they sometimes had a mind of there

Own. Terry is right bloody some fingers elecitic before starter came out. Still have CL parts.

Still have a few planes but they are showing there age.

I think I am still dizzy LOL. I cut grass for my money.

Nails

Good looking planes Carl, John and Ray yep crashed a bunch they sometimes had a mind of there

Own. Terry is right bloody some fingers elecitic before starter came out. Still have CL parts.

Still have a few planes but they are showing there age.

I think I am still dizzy LOL. I cut grass for my money.

Nails
They sold a thing called a "Chicken stick" but nobody used it. I did use the stater springs on the 049 Gold Bees. I remember the first time I climbed the stairs and walk into American Hobbies on 22nd street. Talk about WOW rc planes everywhere hanging from the ceiling. Fun times.

I still finger start my planes EXCEPT for the little 1/2A speed job. needs a starter to wind it up.

I never made it to AHC like Ray did,but always dreamed of going there one day. They sure had the stuff to buy back then.

Dick, John, if you guys ever want to come up on a Saturday and fly some cl let me know. I can arrange to meet up with you

and we can head to the club field about 10 min. from the house.

I got a couple planes you 2 can takethe handle on.

WOW, where do you find this stuff, Ray? I remember my Dad talking about the Plymouth Model Airplane meets when I was a kid. The trophies were enormous!

Great stuff you added on here, Mike Z. I always like to see someone teaching a youngster about the hobby. My Dad tried to teach me to fly controline airplanes when I was about 8 or 9 years old. I was scared of the noise and didn't like it. When I was 12 I built my own combat wing with a Cox .049 and learned to fly on my own with some friends. In the summers I would go around to people's houses on my paper route who owed me money and collect from them to get enough money to go buy a pint of fuel to go flying. I won my first contest with that airplane, too. Beat my older brother at a club Combat contest. I don't let him forget it, either..........

Carl, the 213 MPH Jet record that I mentioned in an earlier post was set at the Hobby Park in Winston-Salem, NC., not at the AMA Nats. You ttalked about being at Castle AFB in the 70's, my brother was there from 1980 until he retired in 1985. I visited him and his family in 1981 when Pris and I were on our honeymoon. We went to the hobby shop in Merced ( don't remember the name ) that was run by a guy named Frank (?) that flew U/C speed. I remember I bought 4 small EZ Just handles from him!

About getting plans for my "Toothpick", you can get them from Barry Baxter. He has loads of plans for many of the old stunt and combat airplanes. I had to get a set from him because I didn't have a set here!

Finch's story about him flying my Slow Combat plane is still a good laugh with us. At the time, I had one of the very few Slow Combat planes in the country that would do 100 MPH. John did great for about the first 2 minutes, but the airplane finally got ahead of him and the ground came up and got him. He was saying he was sorry and I was laughing. He only broke the prop and damaged the foam wing. I still have it today. I can replace the wing and we can try it again, John.

Dick Tyndall

Dick

That was Herbs Merced Cylcery

Frank Hunt and I used to hit the high school on weekends there with a couple other speed flyers in the club

and see what we could get out of our jets and Rossis. We had the school put in the receiver in the black top for the pylon and it worked great. I flew Hoyt's Sidewinders and Frank flew Ironsides.

Small world, isn't it?

The hobby shop is long gone.The building that it was in burned to the ground and Frank passed away a couple years ago

from complications from Diabetis.

Will check out Barry Baxters site and see if I can get a set of plans. Might have an old ST 35 laying around as well as a couple Johnson motors.

Not one of my boats but still a blast to go fast with.

Here ya go El Zoro

attachicon.gif
DSC00104.JPG
attachicon.gif
DSC00103.JPG
attachicon.gif
DSC00102.JPG
Hi Carl

John Albritton here. I'm pretty sure I made the prop on the front of your 1/2A speed plane. I'm from Falls Church Virginia, living in south Florida now racing some nitro tunnel

boats. Flew a lot of Control Line growing up. Flew Dick Tyndall's dad's rat racer several time till Dick was big enough to hold on. During the time the these props

were made we were flying 1/2 A pylon racing at NVRC. Also made some crankcase pressure back plates so when the planes were hand launched

It didn't starve the engines fuel supply. A while back one of my old racing partners moved to Florida and I built a 21 sport speed plane, 2 line, 60 ft lines, straight

mini pipe per the rules, with a converted car engine. We went to a speed contest in Ocala. The record at the time was 156. After messing with it

all weekend we got a 154 run. The record is now 159. This is all on 10% nitro. The current 1/A record is held by Carl Dodge (father of the Nelson or turbo plug)

at 140.6 mph, long wing side winder flown clockwise. 10% nitro .21 sport speed pic attached

Fly those Conrol Line planes !

IMG_0395.JPG

Thanks for the plans Rick.

Dennis, yes I do have a Ring Master hanging on the garage wall as well.

Carl

Back