Sealing a Wood Boat

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
All of their resins are thinner than West. Pick the resin that best matches the fabric that you would use to build non wood parts from. A good general resin is the 2020. I have not ordered from them in a couple of years as I bought a bunch of it. I see they have some new products since I last talked with them. Contact them and see what they recomend.

What's the go to for sealing a wood kit boat? Building an SLR Missile.
All of these suggestions are good....

There is no 'best' really....it comes down to cost and comfort. If you're just going to do a boat, or two, and want to keep cost down, by all means use Joe's Zippkits penetrating sealer.

Personally, we've used West 207, Zipp (which I believe is same formulation as Bob Smith), and the Total Boat house brand product from Jamestown Dist. that Doc recommends.

Haven't tried the product Don recommends, but he's built a lot of boats so I'd consider his choice.

Really, it all boils down to patience and intelligent application. Personally, I try to avoid the use of low flashpoint solvents for reducing-ie- acetone, MEK, lacquer thinner, etc.
Warming, as Daniel suggests, works but don't get carried away there or you'll drastically reduce work time and wind up with a mess.

Z- Poxy finish epoxy is very thin and soaks in good. Let sit till it just gets a little thick and wipe off with paper towels. Let sit over night then scrape with utility knife blade on the spots you want to look smooth and paint. Amazon.com

Last edited:
BE SURE to use this outside.. or risk what I have had to endure for 15 years now.

I did say "RISK" but either way.. building a boat is a VERY difficult deal for me now.. YOU DO NOT WANT THIS TO HAPPEN TO YOU PLEASE!!!!!

Outside ONLY..PLEASE

Thanks

Grim

BE SURE to use this outside.. or risk what I have had to endure for 15 years now.

I did say "RISK" but either way.. building a boat is a VERY difficult deal for me now.. YOU DO NOT WANT THIS TO HAPPEN TO YOU PLEASE!!!!!

Outside ONLY..PLEASE

Thanks

Grim
Grim,

How did it happen ? you used to be ok and got too much built up or hows it work that affects people. I never knew it was a big deal but to hear you descibe how bad it is for you.

You must have some extreme sensitivity to it. Sorry to hear how you suffer from it. Sounds like it really sucks.

Does it poison anyone regardless ? If it is that bad I guess I would prefer to stop.

I must be really lucky so far or I have it coming as I have used every kind of epoxy imaginable as two of our family businesses was boats and van conversations and my dad loved his epoxies for construction of both of them. I was in it all the time.

I still use it indoors all the time often heating it up and spreading it on things with bare hands. I have done huge major jobs with it all over myself and never had any issues.

I do have severe allergy attacts lately with a lot of sneezing but it is that time of year again. Sure hope I didn't jynx myself just lucky I am not affected by it all that I know of at least. I have couple boxes of disposable gloves but never use the things. Recon I should start.

Should be fine,but im sealing the boat so wont be an issue. Built a Blazer sport40 and its ready for decks and only used one ounce of titebond3. Try it on a couple pieces of scrap wood you will be impressed
I’m building Alisha a new Nitro Sport 20 so I was curious.

Daniel, I am in the same boat as you. I have built a ton of epoxy glass boats, but I know it is a ticking time bomb. If you are around epoxy, you will at some point become sensitive to it. Everyone is different and will react differently at different exposure levels, but it will get to everyone. Use gloves and a respirator, working in fresh air is best.

Thank you Mark for adding to this.. it WILL RUIN building for you.. DONT RISK IT!

Grim
P.S. I also frame up with Titebond 3 now.. works a charm!

Last edited:
Daniel, I am in the same boat as you. I have built a ton of epoxy glass boats, but I know it is a ticking time bomb. If you are around epoxy, you will at some point become sensitive to it. Everyone is different and will react differently at different exposure levels, but it will get to everyone. Use gloves and a respirator, working in fresh air is best.
Mark is correct but it goes even beyond that. I now have reactions to epoxy dust from many years of sanding it prepping for paint. I will get red patches on the tops and sides of my fingers that raise up, dry out, split and peel. This situation kept me from working on new boats for the vast majority of this past spring and summer. I tried many times to use gloves but you lose that "feel" when running your hands along surfaces looking for high and low spots in the epoxy sealed wood. The vast majority of my builds are wood which tend to require more finish prep (sanding) prior to painting than 'glass hulls. Been working with a dermatologist on finding medication to offset the condition with some promising results. That along with immediately washing my hands after sanding with antibacterial soap and cold water (warm/hot water opens your pores further) seems to be helping, fingers crossed. I'm finally back to building with hopes of getting the new fleet finished for the 2024 season.

Back