Newb with questions

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Z

Zebug32

Hello everyone. Well, as the topic states, I am considering getting into R/C Boating, but before I do, I have a few questions that I am sure you all can answer for me, or at least provide some insight.

Before I ask some questions, I will give you a breif background of myself. I have was involved in 1/10 scale on road and off road cars, so I have R/C knowledge. I am also looking to get into the tunnel hull boats, primarily because years ago my dad was involved in running the real things. We used to be involved with the Yamaha tunnel boat that ran in the late 80s and early 90s. That is why I want to run the tunnels, since I was involved in them years ago. I read the thread on which class to start in, and it looks as though in my area of Southern California, they run both 7.5 and 3.5 tunnel classes.

My questions are more on what to choose, rather than how to setup (at least at the moment).

1. What are any advantages or disadvantages of 3.5 or 7.5 class compared to the other?

2. What is the best hull material? Does wood, abs or fiberglass yeild the best racing platform?

3. I enjoy building things, so which kit would be recommended, a Dunlap 27 or a Dumas Hot Shot Sprint 3.5? Or is there something better out there?

4. The final question for now, I have read things about using the 3rd channel for fuel mixture, but not anything about using it for engine trim angle, is that not allowed, or does it not work? I know in the real boats the use trim all the time.

Any answers to my questions would be appreciated, I hope to be able to get my first boat soon and join this great activity.

Hello everyone. Well, as the topic states, I am considering getting into R/C Boating, but before I do, I have a few questions that I am sure you all can answer for me, or at least provide some insight.

Before I ask some questions, I will give you a breif background of myself. I have was involved in 1/10 scale on road and off road cars, so I have R/C knowledge. I am also looking to get into the tunnel hull boats, primarily because years ago my dad was involved in running the real things. We used to be involved with the Yamaha tunnel boat that ran in the late 80s and early 90s. That is why I want to run the tunnels, since I was involved in them years ago. I read the thread on which class to start in, and it looks as though in my area of Southern California, they run both 7.5 and 3.5 tunnel classes.

My questions are more on what to choose, rather than how to setup (at least at the moment).

1. What are any advantages or disadvantages of 3.5 or 7.5 class compared to the other?

2. What is the best hull material? Does wood, abs or fiberglass yeild the best racing platform?

3. I enjoy building things, so which kit would be recommended, a Dunlap 27 or a Dumas Hot Shot Sprint 3.5? Or is there something better out there?

4. The final question for now, I have read things about using the 3rd channel for fuel mixture, but not anything about using it for engine trim angle, is that not allowed, or does it not work? I know in the real boats the use trim all the time.

Any answers to my questions would be appreciated, I hope to be able to get my first boat soon and join this great activity.
1. 7.5 is easier to tune and will take rougher water

2. I prefer glass but you will get arguments for or against any material this is a personal choice

3. I run a Vans Racing Shaman but have run the Dumas Kits and race with JD. His Woof boats are a nice way to go if you want to build. But if you ever get a chance to drive a Shaman I think you will be impressed.

4. I have seen one guy that ran a power trim while it is cool it not only takes an excellent driver to pull off as fast as things happen with the model boats I do not believe that with the small adjustments the modern hulls take you could respond fast enough. I know that my fixed mount cornered far faster than the guy running the true scale looking boat with power trim. You will have a much better tuning aid if you use the 3rd channel for mixture.

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome; I guess the first thing to ask is are you going to race? If you are then look at what the local guy's are doing. As Eric stated 7.5 stock class up here is a blast and there is several hulls that are competitve but the hot engine the K&B 7.5 pro can be tough to find. I run both glass and my own design boats that are WOF both have advantages glass gets on the water sooner but WOF boats are usually easier to repair from accidents.(had some experience with that lately :ph34r: ) Let us know and good luck. Greg

Thanks for the advice. I am hoping to build my own so that I can learn more about it, and maybe be able to build a few hulls with slight differences. I agree the glass would get me on the water faster, but as my budget is a little tight at the moment, I don't mind taking the time to build a kit.

As far as WOF versus build up, what is the ease compared to each other, and ads os disads?

BTW, thanks to those who have, and are answering me.

I was wondering if there are plans avalible for a 34 or 36 wof for a 7.5 stock motor?

Has anyone tried a stock 7.5 on a TS2 yet?

Ed.R

:D ran my JD WOF 34'' two different weekends runs fantastic builds like a dream easy as pie but i have built a few wood boats before its the only way to go ;) keep it up ;) Jerry boat designing i meant to say :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Marty

I agree the glass would get me on the water faster, but as my budget is a little tight at the moment, I don't mind taking the time to build a kit.
Welcome to the great world of model boating. I've done every form of R/C and boat racing is the best. I can't explain it, you just have to get to a race and experience it, it is awesome!

If budget is tight and want a glass hull, check out the Top Speed 2.

http://www.aquacraftmodels.com/

For about $99, you can't go wrong:)

It will get you on the water fast and works well. Then, while you are testing and doing set up on the TS2, you can be building a kit tunnel. You can then take the same engine (3.5 that is:) and put it on your kit after it is completed. Have the best of both worlds at the same time!

No matter what you get, this is a great forum to get help. I've learned a ton on here and I'm sure you will to.

Have fun!

Russ

Latest posts

Back