My first build stage 2

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mike_savoie

Thanks for all the tips so far! Well the bottom's on, all joints have been checked to make sure the epoxy is on and good, all drips have been sanded, and I will be sealing the inside starting tonight.

So, the next step according to the instructions is building the engine mount, and getting the whole thing setup for the hardware. But is the engine mount going to be good for any engine I decide to use??

I've been trying to do research on engines and hardware and haven't found much information or found too much and don't know enough to sort through it. I'm pretty sure I want to go with a .12 engine. But I don't know which manufacturer is best or wether gas or nitro would be best. And I'm also not sure on what hardware I would need for either.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for all the tips so far! Well the bottom's on, all joints have been checked to make sure the epoxy is on and good, all drips have been sanded, and I will be sealing the inside starting tonight.

So, the next step according to the instructions is building the engine mount, and getting the whole thing setup for the hardware. But is the engine mount going to be good for any engine I decide to use??

I've been trying to do research on engines and hardware and haven't found much information or found too much and don't know enough to sort through it. I'm pretty sure I want to go with a .12 engine. But I don't know which manufacturer is best or wether gas or nitro would be best. And I'm also not sure on what hardware I would need for either.
I believe most guys here are running the .12 OS engine. you can find them at Tower hobbies. Engines this size are almost exclusively nitro.

Gas engines are usually BIG like 26CC and go in boats 42" long or bigger. (might be a tough fit) :)

If you're new to nitro an OS is the way to go. If you want to be able to take the motor with you when you upgrade to a faster boat I would use the TZ. IF you just want a sport engine you can get lots of good one from OS for $100. The OS engines are easy to tune so they are great for the beginner nitro guy. You might also want to try and squeeze in a pull start engine. That way you don't have to get a starter, starter battery and all that stuff. At least not right away.

Ok, well sealing the bottom was fairly uneventful. Mix 50-50 epoxy mixture and rubbing alcohol, and brush on, using a playing card to squeegee where possible. I threw on 2 coats and sanding in between.

Then the sides went on.

Here you can see how the side was fitted before glueing.

134_3424.JPG

Again my friend Heinz was used to hold things in place while drying.

134_3422.JPG

Once the side was tacked in place the front of the side piece was glued in place.

134_3423.JPG

Next step will be trimming the sides to fit. There is a lot of trimming needed at this stage! Once that's done, more sealing to do and the hull will be assembled.

:rolleyes: Mike, Have You gotten any more of the boat done? Have You had any problems so far? I am in the prosses of building a 36" SK. Post more picts when You get more done! Later!! B)

:D :D Mike Will you paint Red on body then put Decal "Heinz Ketchup" on front top? :lol: :lol: ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Hope your not married looks like your building it in the kitchen.If i tried that be sleeping in the dog house.LOL

Alright finally got a little more done.

Yeah my 'work bench' is the kitchen table...she's very understanding, :) . Heinz does make a great 3rd hand hehe. Might be a good paint scheme, as long as the boat isn't as slow as the ketchup.

So I didn't get any pictures of how I had the cockpit stringers clamped. But here they are in place.

134_3444.JPG

Here's a picture of what I've got done so far. I had just gotten done sealing the interior of the hull.

134_3443.JPG

A few issues so far. First as most can probably relate, how to get 25 hours out of a day?? There was a lot of trimming needed once the sides were in place. I actually had one side on, and had to trim a bit from the very front tip of it to get the second side on. You can see how one side kind of overlaps the other in this picture. I figure it may make the joint stronger this way.

134_3471.JPG

compare.JPG

There was a fair bit of trimming needed with the top and bottom of the sides. Some spots fit perfectly, other spots I had to sand 1/4". The lack of instructions made for some hard thinking, and picturing the finished product.

Next thing to do is putting cross pieces? on top of the frames to form a curved deck, and trim the cockpit stringers down to meet the curve. Here's a picture of the plans I'm looking at, looks like the cockpit stringers curve down to meet the deck? If posting these pics of the plans is copyright infringement I'll take them down.

134_3473.JPG

134_3474.JPG

detail.JPG

134_3476.JPG

134_3477.JPG

Well that's it for now, I'll be doing the trimming of the cockpit stringers hopefully this weekend.

B) Mike, looks like Your getting there! I'm in the prosses of building an SK,sure is alot of trimming & fitting of the front keel & sheers to the formers! So the sheeting will fit properly,when I get that far!! Have fun,Later!! :rolleyes:

Thanks Terry.

Lar'Dog, yeah a few times I've re-read and re-read the instructions again, second guessed myself, then scratched my head at how much trimming was needed. But it's coming along fine. I'd have quicker updates, but April 15th ( first day of fishing ) is coming quick and I tie my own flies so that's been taking a lot of my time lately.

So how's your SK doing? Do you have any pics of it? If so post em up, I'd like to see it.

I get the feeling V hulls are slower on the water? Better for beginner builders? Is there a racing bracket for Vs? Just wondering why riggers and hydros...etc seem to be so much more popular? I'm hoping to build a hydro soon, and I'm getting plans from the CA coast guard of a couple of their icebreakers I want to build scales of. So I do have a few projects in the works.

You may want to try the pull starter but if your .12 starts like mine forget it. these boats arent bolted together like car chassis and made of metal. I thought I was going to rip my rigger in half a couple of times when it hydrolocked from too much fuel. If you dont want to do the belt and starter routine look at one of the new shaft drive starters- bolts on where your pull starter would go. Still more money but will save your arm atleast till you get it broke in.

Mark

:p Mike, I forgot to mention: Your plans are 100% better than the SK plans!! I will try and get a few pictures up later this week. B)

Back