Motor Paint???

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kcvnd

So I have some motors cases that I want to make black. I have looked around and was thinking about using Duracoat rifle paint. It is supposed to be highly resistant to solvents. Anyone with experience with this paint or experience with making the cases black?

Thanks

Kevin

I use Rust-Oleum high heat BBQ grill paint on my tuned pipes.

May work on engine cases.

Tom

Harley Davidson makes a nice semi gloss "krinkle" paint that gets baked on at low temps and works pretty well.

It looks like the old Chrysler valve covers used to look when finished.

For a glossy finish I has seen guys send their cases out for powder coating. But I've also seen that chip off.

I have used flat black paint on my pipes for years. Just the cheap spray can stuff works great. It doesn't have to be Rust-Oleum high heat BBQ grill paint. I've tried both. Just spray it on the bare aluminum. After it is dry, bake it in the oven @ 400 degrees for an hour. That will make it fuel proff and it won't scratch off. I can't remember, but I think it works with the gloss paint too.

Best use a toaster oven in the garage...not your wife's kitchen oven. :eek: :D

Thanks Andy! I will try baking it. This reminds me of when my dad tried to bake paint on one of his RC car bodies. It was one of the old abs types. Anyway he was baking the paint on and decided to have a few cookies while he waited. Well he lost track of time and his body came out a yellow blob. My mom was not happy!

Never thought of the brake caliper paint. Must be solvent resistant I would assume.

Latest posts

Back