MONOS ARE DEAD

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am the mono technical director for IMPBA and I have both good and bad news.

The good news is that steps are legal in the offshore class. Bad news is steps are not legal in the mono class. The 15 degree thing is for strakes that don't run perfectly parallel to the Keel as they aproach the bow. 15 degree strakes at the center and rear of the boat will only screw up your ride. I tried to pass the steps over a decade ago and was shot down. Might be a good time to try again. To make a point I raced a mono with one step in it at the indy unlimited many years ago and got 7th place out of 125 boats against all hydros. My point was.....do you really want a stepped mono running with you hydro guys. Why don't you legalise steps on a mono so I can race it in the mono class. It never sunk in. IMPBA is slow to catch up to the rest of the world. Have your district director put it into a motion for the next board meeting. A lot of new faces on the board are now open to new ideas.

Last edited by a moderator:
I know that you are the mono director, but the rule 1-a. as written states "A hull that has no discontinuities between or steps in the wetted surface running at more than a 15-degree angle to the keel, in plane view (bottom view)". This wording clearly allow steps that are 15 degrees or less to the keel. The strakes fairing into the bow (like the SD3) are covered under rule 1.c.2 where it states that the the strakes must be parallel to the keel from the mid point of the hull length back.

Now, I don't know if a 15* step will work, but I'll give it a shot just to see.

If no steps of any type are allowed, the wording of the current rule does not reflect that; therefore the steps must be allowed. I agree that now may be the time to try to get steps legal, but until the rule is changed to clearly allow steps, it is my contention that a 15* or less step fits in a loophole in the rules. If I decide to do this, and it works, we'll have to see how a protest comes out.

John, I would enjoy discussing this with you privately.

Bring on the steped mono's

i would imagine a Steped seaducer or insane would be agian the front runners..LOL's

its the next "step" thats for sure .....groan

LMAO

Jason

Last edited by a moderator:
am putting a CMB 90 into an Insane mono for open mono competition for next season. it is out being painted right now and will have a few pics of it when i get it back and everything bolted back on.

carl

am putting a CMB 90 into an Insane mono for open mono competition for next season. it is out being painted right now and will have a few pics of it when i get it back and everything bolted back on.
carl

cool would definetely like to see that... some video too!

I've got a newbie, $75.00 to anyone who wants a .21 hull. It had a Novarossi in it. Unfortunately, I went to the darkside. I got a Seaducer. Finch fixed the boat. It's for sale, it's got marks, it's got damage, it still runs.

I've got a newbie, $75.00 to anyone who wants a .21 hull. It had a Novarossi in it. Unfortunately, I went to the darkside. I got a Seaducer. Finch fixed the boat. It's for sale, it's got marks, it's got damage, it still runs.
Sorry, hit send too soon. The newbie needs hardware. Selling just the hull. So, anyone interested in just a newbie hull. If you want a good boat, it's been drilled plugged and tapped. It's not wet, it's just been rode hard. Will send pic's.

I know that you are the mono director, but the rule 1-a. as written states "A hull that has no discontinuities between or steps in the wetted surface running at more than a 15-degree angle to the keel, in plane view (bottom view)". This wording clearly allow steps that are 15 degrees or less to the keel. The strakes fairing into the bow (like the SD3) are covered under rule 1.c.2 where it states that the the strakes must be parallel to the keel from the mid point of the hull length back.
Now, I don't know if a 15* step will work, but I'll give it a shot just to see.

If no steps of any type are allowed, the wording of the current rule does not reflect that; therefore the steps must be allowed. I agree that now may be the time to try to get steps legal, but until the rule is changed to clearly allow steps, it is my contention that a 15* or less step fits in a loophole in the rules. If I decide to do this, and it works, we'll have to see how a protest comes out.

John, I would enjoy discussing this with you privately.
A 15 degree step to the keel would be nothing more than a crooked strake. It would be 15 degrees from being parallel to the keel. Be carefull not to make it a multiple wetted surface boat as stated in the rule book under D.......Cathedral type hulls and OTHER MULTIPLE WETTED surface hulls are not legal in the mono class. You will find that strakes cause chine walk at high speeds and no strakes at all are best for a fast hull. I can see where steps would help when going around the corners to break the water loose from the hull, but I have tried it with no noticeable difference.

I went from a newbie to a seaducer what a big difference i wont change back i love my seaducer. Robert

Bring on the steped mono's
i would imagine a Steped seaducer or insane would be agian the front runners..LOL's

its the next "step" thats for sure .....groan

LMAO

Jason
I added steps to my 60 seaducer last racing season. It did not make any difference. The boat went thru the compactor at the dump after I did all the mods if that tells you anything.

Back