Miss Vega .18 Hydro

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MGR

Hello i'm planing in getting a miss vega hydro what add ons are a must or what sshould i change like prop , pipe ect. Thanks

Hello i'm planing in getting a miss vega hydro what add ons are a must or what sshould i change like prop , pipe ect. Thanks
Kind of depends on what you want to do. If you want to race stock RTR, you need to get up with the local club and see what they will allow you to change.

I dont know if you have boats already, but if not you will need some things just to use and maintain the boat.

- Glow plug igniter

- Fuel

- Cable grease

- After run oil

- Batteries for the radio

- Radio receiver balloon

- Cut out the fake air inlets on the cowl to allow air to come in.

- Get some thinned down epoxy, and before you run...pull the engine, fuel tank, and radio box out and brush a light coat in that whole area. It makes for easier clean up and will strengthen it a little. Also, the mounting blocks like to come loose and are raw wood. So coating them helps keep them stuck down and seals the water out (along with the frames on the inside on the right and left of the hull.

- Make sure all the screws are tight...especially around the engine area.

- Replace the flex collet with an octura one. If the boat is a version 2, it will be 5mm threads to 150 cable. If a version 1, it will be 5mm threads to a 130 cable.

As to upgrades to run stock...

- Y535 prop

- Grim turn fin

- Sharpen the leading edge of the turn fin, strut, and rudder

If you are just fooling around, or want to run mod class RTR...

- When the stock engine wears out, get a CVRMX to replace it

- High nitro MACS 3.5 tuned pipe

- Remove your wing

Sean

Last edited by a moderator:
Here's two I think should be added:

1. The Grim Racer 36X55 prop

2. The Grim Racer 15/18 Turn Fin

JD

I COMPLETLY agree with this! Just adding these 2 items onto my Vegas made a HUGE difference in the handling and speed of the boat!! I really havent done much of anything to the boat since.....its money well spent!!

Here's two I think should be added:1. The Grim Racer 36X55 prop

JD
I COMPLETLY agree with this! Just adding these 2 items onto my Vegas made a HUGE difference in the handling and speed of the boat!! I really havent done much of anything to the boat since.....its money well spent!!
I tested the AQ prop against the Y535 on a Miss Vegas with an CVRM motor in it. I made a total of 6 runs during the prop test. I only had one AQ prop though I normally have more than one Y535. Anyhow...here are the numbers I got using a Garmin GPS.

39.3 and 41.1 = First Y535

35.2 and 35.8 = AQ prop

42.6 and 41.1 = Second Y535

So...it was about a 5 MPH difference in speed. Again, so there is no misunderstanding, this was NOT with the stock engine. It was with an OS CVRM engine. I did NOT do this test with the stock engine...though that might be an option at a later date.

I have no doubt that the AQ prop is better than the stock one...

The Grim fin seems to come in at least 2 different thicknesses. I had one that would no longer allow the boat to run straight at WOT and finally gave up on trying to tweak it back into shape (it got bent a couple times durin flips, etc). Anyhow, I got a new one, and when I put it on the boat it looked like it was thicker...so I pulled out my digital caliper and the two fins were different thicknesses. Not sure if this was just a difference in production runs, or if they made the fins thicker to try to keep them from bending as easy.

Sean

Here's two I think should be added:1. The Grim Racer 36X55 prop

JD
I tested the AQ prop against the Y535 on a Miss Vegas with an CVRM motor in it. I made a total of 6 runs during the prop test. I only had one AQ prop though I normally have more than one Y535. Anyhow...here are the numbers I got using a Garmin GPS.

39.3 and 41.1 = First Y535

35.2 and 35.8 = AQ prop

42.6 and 41.1 = Second Y535

So...it was about a 5 MPH difference in speed. Again, so there is no misunderstanding, this was NOT with the stock engine. It was with an OS CVRM engine. I did NOT do this test with the stock engine...though that might be an option at a later date.

I have no doubt that the AQ prop is better than the stock one...

The Grim fin seems to come in at least 2 different thicknesses. I had one that would no longer allow the boat to run straight at WOT and finally gave up on trying to tweak it back into shape (it got bent a couple times durin flips, etc). Anyhow, I got a new one, and when I put it on the boat it looked like it was thicker...so I pulled out my digital caliper and the two fins were different thicknesses. Not sure if this was just a difference in production runs, or if they made the fins thicker to try to keep them from bending as easy.

Sean

It just goes to say that same ol saying that no two boats ever run the same! I DO think ill try a y535 prop on my Vegas..... especially if i stick a CVRM in it..(which i THINK im gonna do!) those are pretty good numbers! Bill

We have hit over 40mph with the 36x55 and also the y535. I've had to retune the boat to get best results even though the props are similar. If anything the octura might have had the advantage just due to having taken off so much material getting it balanced.

I like the octura props but it's either hit or miss with them and the bad casting. Last m435 I got had the hubs centerbore completely off centered and it got thrown into a box as a wasted $15.00.

I still think the 535 is to small of a prop for a .18CVR-M. It's perfect for the AQU .18 though.

well try the grim L38x55 and set the strut to 1/1 inch from the bottom of the haul to the center of the cable you will be amazes what speed you can run but you must step up your cable to 3/16 stub shaft not 1/8 i run a cvr mx mac high nitro pipe mac header 60 percent fuel and run almost 50 mph

well try the grim L38x55 and set the strut to 1/1 inch from the bottom of the haul to the center of the cable you will be amazes what speed you can run but you must step up your cable to 3/16 stub shaft not 1/8 i run a cvr mx mac high nitro pipe mac header 60 percent fuel and run almost 50 mph
Yep i went to Fun RC boats and picked up a 38x55 last weekend and a Hyperformance 150. cable with 3/16 shaft. I hope it runs good. I just want consistent 45mph. Gonna try it with my Go .18 rear exhaust to compare with the cvr-m. Oh and CRT Man can I get some pics of your MV?

yes send me your email and i will be more then happy to send you some pics of her . by chance to run at camatrillo at all if you do you should come out there this saturday and race with are club we have a stock rtr and a mod rtr miss vegas class and you then can see my MV in person let me know thx john

yes send me your email and i will be more then happy to send you some pics of her . by chance to run at camatrillo at all if you do you should come out there this saturday and race with are club we have a stock rtr and a mod rtr miss vegas class and you then can see my MV in person let me know thx john
Sent you a PM. Thanks! Oh and I would like to try to get up there sometime to check out the pond. It's about 180 miles from me though. Once I finish up my boat I will try to make it up there.

well just come up next month bring your tent and camp out for the weekend if you can drive to fun rc boats then you are only 20 minutes from the pond

well just come up next month bring your tent and camp out for the weekend if you can drive to fun rc boats then you are only 20 minutes from the pond
Sounds good. I wish we could camp at our pond, I've thought about it before but we cant park there after 10pm.

Latest posts

Back