Lexan Cowlings

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice to see the Nemesis again,

Mike gave me one of the proto's for some extended testing. Great hull took a beating and ran like a scalded dog....

Gene

Sidenote: lexan held up very well,

No probs at all.

Last edited by a moderator:
I found some good video of the boat at the 2007 Internats. (in my Metime collection)..

I also found a bunch of pics..

The Lexan worked great.. very light and tough. The water baced paints dont work very well but the others are fine. (Pactra, Duratrax)

Pic is from 2007..

This boat was the latest version and the one I have now. Pic is 10 years old.. my o my.. where did the time go.

Grim

DSC00042.JPG

This is a px300 i just picked up from here . As a person allergic to rubber i love this no radio box seals . But aside of that i think its a awsome way of doing the steering servo.
Thats an awesome way to do it Michael, but beware. Those servos may say water proof or resistant, but they are not. They leak around the servo spline rubber seal over time. Someone on here posted the result over time. Not of but when it fails. Dissasembly and corrosion x will probably help it last. Just be careful. That boat looks like it is in awesome condition. Great grab.

I found some good video of the boat at the 2007 Internats. (in my Metime collection)..

The Lexan worked great.. very light and tough. The water baced paints dont work very well but the others are fine. (Pactra, Duratrax)

Pic is from 2007..

This boat was the latest version and the one I have now. Pic is 10 years old.. my o my.. where did the time go.

Grim
Drake forgot his boat again -
default_laugh.png

great pic, thanks for sharing Z . You painted that cowl pictured from the inside ??
default_huh.png

Ron is a cool guy.. man I like that cat...

Yes.. the cowl is painted from the inside.. SO MUCH easer then on the outside.. its self masking!

Grim

Pic is from 2007..

Grim
Ive always thought that was one of the coolest looking paint schemes Ive seen, the cowl looks awesome!

Due the lexan items require a different mold than used for fiberglass? Or how does that work?

Thanks Bdawg Atwell..

The plug is made just like a normal fiberglass plug but then.. the mold is made from rubber and not fiberglass.

From this epoxy is poured into the rubber and a tool is made. The epoxy tool goes into a thermal forming machine and the hot lexan is vacuumed over the tool.

Its VERY costly.. the tooling for the Nemesis cowl was approaching 1,000 dollars. The shear amount of material needed to make a mold that large is costly. The rubber came from Wacker, pronounced (Vockker) as well as the epoxy..

One could CNC Ren board OR hard wood to make the tool BUT one would need to be darn good at surfacing in a 3D program to make the part drawing. I can do that work now.. but could not then...

Never the less. it make a neat part!

Grim

Thanks Bdawg Atwell..

The plug is made just like a normal fiberglass plug but then.. the mold is made from rubber and not fiberglass.

From this epoxy is poured into the rubber and a tool is made. The epoxy tool goes into a thermal forming machine and the hot lexan is vacuumed over the tool.

Its VERY costly.. the tooling for the Nemesis cowl was approaching 1,000 dollars. The shear amount of material needed to make a mold that large is costly. The rubber came from Wacker, pronounced (Vockker) as well as the epoxy..

One could CNC Ren board OR hard wood to make the tool BUT one would need to be darn good at surfacing in a 3D program to make the part drawing. I can do that work now.. but could not then...

Never the less. it make a neat part!

Grim
Ahh gotcha, I was wondering how a full tunnel mold would work out. Sounds like monetarily it doesnt make a lot of sense unless you know what youre doing, but compared to fiberglass it might hold up a little better to rubbins racin?

By the way Mike, that old futaba shirt doesnt fit me as good as it used too....
default_smile.png

LOL.. I bet not....hand shakes to the bro and dad for me and a pinch for Tanya!

Grim

Pic is from 2007..

Grim
Great race for sure...I have photos in front of that trailor also haha

Back