klass kote question

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have been using it for years. I tried using automotive paint a few times, ended up sanding it off and repainting with Klass Kote. It goes on very easily and covers good. But you will find that the clear will yellow over time if you put on too thick, especially over white. Just follow their instructions and don’t get in a hurry.

DonB

hi, was just looking at there site and woundering which one you guys like better and why. thanks,mike.
I called before I ordered. The salesman, I forget his name at the moment, was really knowledgable about their coatings and was very helpful. He recommended the right products for model powerboats and took care of the order over the phone. Shipped promptly and awesome paint! Highly recommend!

hi, was just looking at there site and woundering which one you guys like better and why. thanks,mike.
have only used their epoxy.easy to use and bullet proof. i use cst's neon powder in their clear,for high visibilty,on sponsons and cowls

Steve......could you please post site info for CST ? Have used the neon powders that Maus used

to handle and was great stuff....needing source if I run out of existing stock.

Thanx,

Ron

Chris and Terry......thanks so much for the info.....I have a few boats to

get done and have been gathering stuff together so everything is here when

I get started.

Mike.....sorry for stealing your thread. Like I said, I have to get going

on getting some paint work done and had the same questions as you were asking.

Have some of the KlassKote epoxy that I bought at the Toledo show and was

wondering if I had the right stuff to get the job done so thanks to your

post, I have the answers that I needed.

Thanx again.

Ron

Chris and Terry......thanks so much for the info.....I have a few boats to

get done and have been gathering stuff together so everything is here when

I get started.

Mike.....sorry for stealing your thread. Like I said, I have to get going

on getting some paint work done and had the same questions as you were asking.

Have some of the KlassKote epoxy that I bought at the Toledo show and was

wondering if I had the right stuff to get the job done so thanks to your

post, I have the answers that I needed.

Thanx again.

Ron
hey ron, no problem. ordered the expoxy clear from klass cote and hopefully in a few weeks i will get to try it out. hear alot of good stuff about it and the guy who helped me out could not have been more helpful.also that to chris and terry for neon info.that's the good thing about high jacking a thread, something else always more than you asked for arrives. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I dont mean to bring this old thread back, but for adding neon pigment to the klass kote clear, do you have to paint it over a white base coat? Or could I spray it directly over top of the raw (sealed) wood and be OK?

for neon you ABSOLUTLY have to have a white base.. it not it will show thru TERRIBLE.. that is why most don't want to. for the base.. don't buy white prime.. shoot gray primer.. then a FLAT WHITE.. dries faster and the gray primer sands better than the white.

chris

So is there any substitue For Klass Kote that comes in a rattle can for those that do not have a spray gun?? Thanks all!

it must be white.i have used their white primer and their flat white.i had trouble with their white primer because i was spraying in the garage in the winter,and had the heater maxed out and it was 90 to 100 degrees in there.it was spraying popcorn.called them up and they said i had it toooooo hot,and the paint was drying at the tip.they told me to switch to their flat white,which i did,and had no more problems.i did use their gray primer under the white.the gray works better when you have the heat cranked up. i brush on their clear to seal the wood for the first couple coats,then gray,then white,then neon pigment in their clear.you must have absolute 100% white coverage,.if there is any spots that are sanded through the white,it shoes up like a sore thumb.i scotch brite the final white so not to sand through it

So is there any substitue For Klass Kote that comes in a rattle can for those that do not have a spray gun?? Thanks all!
sure, if you want the paint to come off from the fuel.even a $20 spray gun is better than nothing. i sprayed with a home made air pig, for several years.had to drive 3 miles to town to fill er up so i could paint,and hope i had enough air to finish the coat

Rodney, flourecent,(neon) colors are semi translucent. Without a white undercoat they will look dull and lifeless. The white undercoat makes them "pop". Doesn't matter what manufacturer the color comes from...rattle can, HOK, ect. They all recommend a white base coat for proper results.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back