?Flow Meters?

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

K F Wheeler

Supporting Member
OK, looking into flow meters, duh... We've got some people making some welcome flow meters...
The question is, What is the better meter per cost, features/usefulness, reasons why, personal experience, and, anything else that may be of interest???? Why this one may be a better idea and why??
Lets try and make this the REAL topic to read and possibly only full discussion to answer any and ALL questions on Flow Meters!!!
I know without a question, these people making items like these are very much appreciated!!

Ken

The only one presently available on an ongoing basis is the KD unit made by Kevin Roach. He's a highly qualified technician in the medical device industry. The KD has nice features and augments well with a weather station app from Play Store or a Kestrel hand held weather station.

The 2nd design Boris Mazor unit, with double pumps and large meter is a good unit. Boris passed away, his son Igor took it up from there for a bit, quit, but I saw the other day where Buckshot, think it was, posted an ad whereas Igor's back building them.

There is no 'best'...lol!...it's all subjective, but I'm sure someone will chime in and go on a rant.

Anyway, don't know how pressed you are for one, but I can bring mine down to the club's final seasonal event and picnic for you to study.

Personally, I like the big analog gauge on the Boris/Igor, but like the features and consistency on the KD.
By no means is the KD readout inferior to the big analog gauge, it's digital, but can strain the eyes in direct sunlight, so best used in shade or under canopy.

Either way, both devices are a long way from the old propane, regulator, magnehelic units, IMO.

I've found Kevin and Dave Roach quite enjoyable to deal with, both very knowledgeable, and quick to deliver and support their product.

Thanks-

tim

full

full

https://www.intlwaters.com/threads/convert-your-propane-flow-meter-to-air.76683/

Terry when you flow the converted pump where do you set the mag gauge when flowing do you use 40 or a different number

personally, I would go which ever is the cheaper of the 2 units.

In the end, all you are getting is a reference number to aim for when setting up a needle on a new build, or using it to check for blockages in the needle and such.

Some will agree, some will not...but once my boats are built and running I only use the meter (I have a Boris Gen1) to make sure it all flows OK around that reference number...it is especially useful for checking water line flow rates when restricting also :)

Terry when you flow the converted pump where do you set the mag gauge when flowing do you use 40 or a different number

Yup, 40 same as always.

Something I've noticed since I switched over is that since you can leave it running for a minute or two the flow will actually go up a bit as the fuel (oil) in the lines gets cleaned out. If things are right it should return exactly to where it was set.

If it's close and you want to verify before tearing chit apart you can squirt some alcohol through the lines to clean them out.

personally, I would go which ever is the cheaper of the 2 units.

In the end, all you are getting is a reference number to aim for when setting up a needle on a new build, or using it to check for blockages in the needle and such.

Some will agree, some will not...but once my boats are built and running I only use the meter (I have a Boris Gen1) to make sure it all flows OK around that reference number...it is especially useful for checking water line flow rates when restricting also :)
Yep, you still have to establish an initial 'good needle'....taking good weather notes along with initial flow reading is also essential.

Some VERY GOOD info I've not seen anywhere else! Unless one were to use their meter in dusty conditions, air intake quality into the meter shouldn't be a worry, should it? Years ago when mine was propane, along with my notes, I could go to a new site and set my needle very close to what I needed before the first run.

Ken

Last edited:
Some VERY GOOD info I've not seen anywhere else! Unless one were to use their meter in dusty conditions, air intake quality into the meter shouldn't be a worry, should it? Years ago when mine was propane, along with my notes, I could go to a new site and set my needle very close to what I needed before the first run.

Ken
Yep, accurate weather data notes are key.

Back