JAE 90 couple questions before building

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
After a few years of procrastinating I finally have my Brad built OPS 90 powered JAE almost ready to run. Just waiting on a fuel tank. Should be interesting to say the least.
Do you have space for a 48 ounce tank? Isn't that what it takes for an OPS 90 to make it through a heat?
Sorry Greg should be 1/2 of that. that's the more than I run in my twin lol.
I've been teasing Kevin for years about this boat, it should be a site to see when he opens it up, I've never seen a boat spontaneously combust from excessive speed!

Last edited by a moderator:
I have not finished final adjustments for linkage but that's a cool idea. I have a 28oz tank coming for it which should give me a few screw up laps.

If I can swing it Martin it will be coming to the 2018 World champs. I have only thought about bringing 3.5 and 7.5 hydro. I have enough time to dial it in so you never know.

Bringing back this old thread. I started looking at the plans again and had a few more questions. Is the top and bottom planking 1/16" ply? Do you use 1/4" tri stock to reinforce the bottom planking to the sides, and spruce or bass? 1/8" sq stock for the top sheet to sides? For lengthening the tub 2", just extend the bait box, or the radio box? I have the sides ripped out and have a 12X48 sheet of 1/16" ply so figure that will cover the tub construction and figure I'll just get sponson kit from Zippkits. I'm sure I'll have a few more questions.

1/16 top sheet and 1/8 on the bottom with 1/4 spruce tri stock on the top and bottom sheet. Add the 2" to the bait box as the seal will be easier to install. Also make the ski longer to extend the length from the rear to up under the motor. Zipp does not offer a sponson kit for the 90 but they are easy to make, just glue your cut side plate onto the foam and use a trim bit in a router to trim to size.

Brad

Bringing back this old thread. I started looking at the plans again and had a few more questions. Is the top and bottom planking 1/16" ply? Do you use 1/4" tri stock to reinforce the bottom planking to the sides, and spruce or bass? 1/8" sq stock for the top sheet to sides? For lengthening the tub 2", just extend the bait box, or the radio box? I have the sides ripped out and have a 12X48 sheet of 1/16" ply so figure that will cover the tub construction and figure I'll just get sponson kit from Zippkits. I'm sure I'll have a few more questions.
David Shower's is running a 90 in the 60/80 boat...he made the boom tube holes in the tub bigger for (.618 I think) carbon tubes. That is the way to go. Yes carbon is a big investment,but remember aluminum bends over time. JMO I have his phone # if you would like to ask more about boat build.

p.s. Joe Warren bought both David's 45 and 90 JAE's at the Nitro Nats.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm definately going to go with carbon tubes, for the same reason I use carbon arrows with my bow. Either they are straight, or they are broken. I don't want to have my boa start running erratically because a tube has a slight bend I don't notice and the sponons are out of the wack with the hull.

I'm definately going to go with carbon tubes, for the same reason I use carbon arrows with my bow. Either they are straight, or they are broken. I don't want to have my boa start running erratically because a tube has a slight bend I don't notice and the sponons are out of the wack with the hull.
XXX-actley.

David Shower's is running a 90 in the 60/80 boat...he made the boom tube holes in the tub bigger for (.618 I think) carbon tubes. That is the way to go. Yes carbon is a big investment,but remember aluminum bends over time. JMO I have his phone # if you would like to ask more about boat build.

p.s. Joe Warren bought both David's 45 and 90 JAE's at the Nitro Nats.... i wonder why??
default_rolleyes.gif
default_ph34r.png

p.s. Joe Warren bought both David's 45 and 90 JAE's at the Nitro Nats.... i wonder why??
default_rolleyes.gif
default_ph34r.png
Haa...Im sure they are on the setup table being dissected.

Good question Stan

Problem solved in new sponsons and for the twin

The sponson broke just running in rough water

The wood pieces span the crack/ break.

We now sandwich a piece of 1/8 ply between the dyvinicil top to bottom

So start with SHEETS of ply dyvinicil ply dyvinicil ply and then rot out the shape of the sponson using a template

Back