scratch building a JAE .21

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jason lowe

I am currently building a JAE.21 off of plans from Zippkits.com and have a few questions.

1) How wide/thick are the front sponsons?

2) When finishing with paint do you use finishing resin then primer, paint, and clear coat? or is there a better sequence?

3) On the radio box lid, is there anyway to water-proof so I can avoid using tape? I was thinking of using some type of Plexiglas and a weather strip, idk........ideas?

4) Do I mount the engine so the boat has a 50/50 center of gravity?

5) How about the rear sponsons, not on the plans but would like some blueprints.

The information that all of you guys is awesome! I'm a newb at this and I sure am glad I picked RC Boating as my hobby!

One last thing, I live in north Phoenix, AZ and would like to join a club so I can meet up with people in the hobby and find a local pond. If you are one of these people or know of someone

e-mail me at [email protected] THANK YOU :) -Jason

Last edited by a moderator:
I know this isnt exactly what you want to hear, but the $79 for the kit will be the best 79 bucks you ever spent....All your q's will be answered perfectly especially for a newbie. Download the instructions if your going to scratch build and follow exactly and you will be on the money. Whats wrong with tape? Super light and simple. Mount the engine where it shows in the plans.

Jr.

Jason

Two answers to questions 1: 1" thick if doing a hollw core design; if you are using a foam core design get 1" thick foam and laminate w/ 1/16" ply - then you'll end up with sponsons 1-1/8" wide (I have made a couple using 1/32 ply sides but have yet to set how they handle an impact).

#2 Spot on.

#3 Don't know, I use tape.

#4 Rod's told me many times the boat just isnt that sensitive to CG - use the side view from the plans and mount the engine per plans.

#5 Rear Sponsons - Arent any. FOLLOW THE PLANS! :)

To question #5- the center box- running down the C/L of the tub acts as a sponson... you'll notice that the tail end of it looks just like- and will function like- a sponson, in that the back end of the boat will drop down and run on that, as opposed to dropping down on the entire tub bottom. So don't think of adding rear sponson's!

BTW, JR is right.. .the kits a bargain- all pieces laser cut, the foam sponson cores cut, tubes for the included carbon fiber sponson supports, you can't go wrong. A true bargain.

Last edited by a moderator:
Finishing and fuel proofing the hull. You'll get many ways to Finnish & paint. I like Glasskote clear myself. Color pigment is heavy. The more coats, the more weight. Joe talks about finishing on page 33-34. Keep your hull light as possible. A light hull is a fast hull. Make sure to use a few bright lights to help you see the coat being absorbed into the wood. You'll know when all wood pours are gone.If you get stumped you got a lot of help here. Good luck

Back