JAE.90-1.01HG plans

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Rod sorry if you feel that i was keyboard racing, it was that i needed some clarification. i was in no way trying to minamized the time, efforts and dedication that the JAE team has put into this project it is truley appreciated what you guys have done. the pics on the site where you get the plans showed Mr Hall holding a gas boat and this is where my interest is but the plans are not for a gas boat but for a 90/ 1.01 and i wanted to get the demisions for the gas boat (which you posted in your response here) and to find out if the 90 is scaled up or what numbers are. sorry for any misunderstanding

Leighton,

Your good man....you and I have known each other for a long time.... ;) Not for one second did I think you were "keyboard" racing.That is why I made a special point of saying that nothing was being pointed personally at anyone involved in the thread.....Sorry,I just took this probably poorly chosen time to vent...

More and more kits are being sold every day....more and more videos of the boats running are showing up every day on You Tube.....Every day I receive more and more legitimate interest and questions about the JAE boats......It is obvious somebody out there is very happy with the work we have done and it is definitely helping model boating.....

The Zippkits gas kit will be released as soon as possible....Joe Petro will have to let us all know when that will be.....there will not be any gas boat drawings released until if or when Joe decides to release them.....Joe has participated in the developement of the JAE gas boat and the JAE team is not going to betray that effort by Zippkits to help model boating....Zippkits has stepped up to the plate and has made a tremendous financial commitment to make this kit available to the RC boating community and the JAE team will do all we can to be loyal to that commitment.

Rod Geraghty

Last edited by a moderator:
Rod sorry if you feel that i was keyboard racing, it was that i needed some clarification. i was in no way trying to minamized the time, efforts and dedication that the JAE team has put into this project it is truley appreciated what you guys have done. the pics on the site where you get the plans showed Mr Hall holding a gas boat and this is where my interest is but the plans are not for a gas boat but for a 90/ 1.01 and i wanted to get the demisions for the gas boat (which you posted in your response here) and to find out if the 90 is scaled up or what numbers are. sorry for any misunderstanding
Leighton,

Your good man....you and I have known each other for a long time....
wink.gif
Not for one second did I think you were "keyboard" racing.That is why I made a special point of saying that nothing was being pointed personally at anyone involved in the thread.....Sorry,I just took this probably poorly chosen time to vent...

More and more kits are being sold every day....more and more videos of the boats running are showing up every day on You Tube.....Every day I receive more and more legitimate interest and questions about the JAE boats......It is obvious somebody out there is very happy with the work we have done and it is definitely helping model boating.....

The Zippkits gas kit will be released as soon as possible....Joe Petro will have to let us all know when that will be.....there will not be any gas boat drawings released until if or when Joe decides to release them.....Joe has participated in the developement of the JAE gas boat and the JAE team is not going to betray that effort by Zippkits to help model boating....Zippkits has stepped up to the plate and has made a tremendous financial commitment to make this kit available to the RC boating community and the JAE team will do all we can to be loyal to that commitment.

Rod Geraghty

Rod, I would just like to say a big thanks to you and others who have worked tirelessly on this new design. And then to make the plans available for free goes beyond the call of duty. For myself, I see this design as the next stepping stone to performance and raceability and never have I been more excited about a boat design since when the Eagle SG's came out.

It just puts a little more excitement in an already exciting hobby.

Thanks again!!!!

Im right there with Mike Hughes and Micheal Costanzo...there is nothing more enjoyable to me than taking a pile of wood and creating a working model from it...even some of the sorriest excuses for model raceboats that i built in my time were still such a thrill to run because i actually built em! The only very minor exception i would take is that i have seen a very few go from RTRs to building something of thier own...sadly not enough though.I commend Rod and his associates for what they have accomplished, because it sure looks like its working....People are BUILDING boats again! I only wish we had more people like Rod and more manufacturers like Zippkits to make an even greater varity of wood kits...Scale hydros, tunnels, etc ESPECIALLY at the prices that Zippkits offers for the kits they presently produce...i purchased a Jae 12 kit a while back and actually had someone else build it, as i have 3 other projects on the board....wished id never done that as when i recieved the boat and looked it over, i just couldnt get over how simple the boat would have been to build myself from the kit...the person who built the boat did a FANTASTIC job by the way....I too love some of the things that this plugnplay world has to offer, (thats why i do race an RTR..just simple fun)but there is nothing that gives me more satisfaction than building my own stuff...i only wish more people could experiance it! Many Thanks Rod and crew!

Hi, All-

I guess this is a good time to introduce myself here, I just joined International Waters a couple of weeks ago, had some trouble initially getting on, but that's resolved. Looks like a great forum, and a lot of good info here.

I was in model boating in the mid-'70's, myself and another guy got R/C boat racing started in Bermuda- I hear they're still racing there today... I hope so! I had an Octura .40 Wing Ding, a .60 Crapshooter and later on, back in the states, a Dumas .21 outboard tunnel hull. I've always loved the riggers, and when I came across the JAE concept, kind of got hooked back in. The fact I'm planning on retiring up to Upstate NY or Northwestern PA next year- around Sayre/Elmira could have had something to do with it, since I see there's active racing up there!

Anyway, after reading this thread, I felt compelled to make a few comments based on much experience I've gained in several different hobbies- and 44 years in and around the Navy... 1) Obviously, those of you who have developed this whole JAE concept through much work and dedication- backed with years of experience in the hobby are due the respect your hard work has earned for you. 2) No matter what, there are always going to be a small percentage of people who can't follow guidance or instructions, and have to go their own direction because "they're smarter" than everyone else. You can't tell them anything, you just have to let them stumble and fall on their own sword. 3) There's always going to be a large percentage who just remain silent in the background, and enjoy what you have worked hard to achieve.

Is there a point to all this? Not really... for you probably already know this. It's just that when someone- who has paid their dues- and has contributed greatly to this wonderful hobby- is up all night, drinking coffee and ranting, they deserve to be acknowledged- and thanks given for the dedication and hard work.

It's been years since I was in boating- but I'm just starting on a .21 kit, waiting on a mild 5 port motor from N/R... most of the rest of the parts on order. I'm not out to build a worldbeater- I'm out to build a good-running stable boat and have fun getting back into the hobby. Advice from you experts is greatly appreciated- and will be listened to! Some people DO listen. I love building- always have, always will. (I'm ashamed to admit it, but my .60 Crapshooter- I plagerized... I built mine by copying my friend's boat he bought as a kit! Built it exactly the same way, but from scratch.) I grew up on ten cent Comet model airplane kits that didn't go together worth a **** and Scientific model airplanes with solid balsa wings and carved fuselages and Cox .049's or O.K. Cub's on the nose of 'em. You can have your fiberglass ready to run's with rounded edges... we all know knife edges cut the water better!!

In today's world of computers and video games and cellphones and iPhones, making something with your hands is becoming less and less common... instant gratification... hopefully, this never dies out- and we simply evolve to a species with a USB port in the side of our heads. There's a Steam Festival up in Pennsylvania every year that a good friend sent me pictures of- hobby machinists who build everything from steam engines to gatling guns from scratch on their old mills and lathes... and every one of them are up there in years - way up there... and it saddens me to see this- where are the young people- who will carry these skills on to the next generation- and the next??? I don't see them. So anything that people such as you who created this whole JAE rigger concept- my hat's off to you- don't get discouraged- just know that not everyone will appreciate all the work you put into it... but you'll get through to others, and hopefully they'll continue the work you guys start- and make you feel like there is some small reward in what you've done.

BTW, I'd like to add- in closing- that I'm stunned at the reasonable price I paid for my .21 kit.. what a bargain! I'd really like my next one to be a gas boat... so I hope this project comes to fruition soon!

Kindest Regards to all,

Wes

Atlantic Beach, FL

After reading the early posts I decided to go back to the drawings and compare to the as built prototypes. Yes you are correct on paper there is not a lot of difference between the two boats but after assembling the parts you will find that there is a significant difference in the boats (see below). The 90 boat started out as a 67 boat, one reason for the small difference between the two. After testing with the 67 (which by the way launched a bag V967 with no problems) we stepped up to a worn out Rossi 90 that we did most of our testing with. It pulls a pitched up 1667 and we were seeing 85mph on the straights with the radar gun. The corners are looking pretty good but I think our turn fin needs some attention. We now have an older 1inch CMB in the boat. You will notice a darker piece of wood on the bottom of the boat, we had to add that so we could machine the floor out to get enough clearance between the flywheel and the bottom of the tub. The 1667 is not loading the engine so Mark Sholund (Thanks for all the help with props) sent us some more props to try this weekend.

In the pictures below I hope you will forgive the condition of the boats, they are truly prototypes and the 90 has even been beached a couple times. If you look closely you can see 3 mods to the bottom of the 90 boat and sponsons and 2 mods to the 45 boat. The blind nuts on the bottom of the 45 boat was an emergency fix at the lake. The brass inserts pulled out of the wooden blocks of the motor mounts.

If you are looking for a 67 boat I would recommend you build the 45 and add 1” to the length of the boat and a couple inches between the sponsons. Make the tub 4” wide on the outside. I would also make the pads on the front sponsons full width. The prototype 45 boat weighs almost 5lbs ready to run and accelerates really well. A 67 should easily come in at 5.5 to 6 lbs. My first E hydro in 1983 (coyote) came in at a blistering 11lbs, the paint still has not cracked.

As Rod stated above, build the boats by the plans and if you are not happy then make it better and tell us how you did it. After all Its all about the sport. :) This is my first attempt at attachments, hope it works out.

David

CIMG3218.JPG

CIMG3216.JPG

CIMG3220.JPG

On the 91-101 Plans--where do you set the engine location at? Do you have a measurement location for the 91 & 101?

Thanks,

Joel

On the 91-101 Plans--where do you set the engine location at? Do you have a measurement location for the 91 & 101?

Thanks,

Joel

Good question........

Place the end of the flexhex about 1-1/2" away from the front of the front radiobox bulkhead.....

That dimension will not be very critical.....just leave yourself enough room to remove and change the belt.......

You want the weight of that motor moved back as far as to can comfortably get it....

I will try to get David to take a photo tonight of the boat with the cowl off so you can see the motor set back....

Thanks,

Joel

Good question........

Place the end of the flexhex about 1-1/2" away from the front of the front radiobox bulkhead.....

That dimension will not be very critical.....just leave yourself enough room to remove and change the belt.......

You want the weight of that motor moved back as far as to can comfortably get it....

I will try to get David to take a photo tonight of the boat with the cowl off so you can see the motor set back....
Thank You for helping....& the picture would be great! I have another question....What size sponson booms would I use.... & rod or tube carbon fiber? Thanks for all you do to make this hobby fun.

Joel

Thanks,

Joel

Good question........

Thank You for helping....& the picture would be great! I have another question....What size sponson booms would I use.... & rod or tube carbon fiber? Thanks for all you do to make this hobby fun.

Joel
Joel the center line of the motor is 17.5" from the transom for the 90. If you plan on using a 101 add the extra inch (per the drawing) and set the center line of the engine at 18" from the transom. The boom tubes are 3/8" solid carbon fiber rod. You can try thick wall tubing but you may want to step up to 1/2" od. When you start your build please take pictures and keep us posted on your progress.

David

CIMG3223.JPG

Thanks,

Joel

Good question........

Joel
Joel the center line of the motor is 17.5" from the transom for the 90. If you plan on using a 101 add the extra inch (per the drawing) and set the center line of the engine at 18" from the transom. The boom tubes are 3/8" solid carbon fiber rod. You can try thick wall tubing but you may want to step up to 1/2" od. When you start your build please take pictures and keep us posted on your progress.

David

View attachment 18399
Thanks David for this information...& yes I will take pictures of my progress.

Joel

Templates made for hull and sponsons for 101. Parts cut out for three boats and 6 sponsons. Two hulls out of the jig. Hopefully, will be testing in a couple of months. Dr.T

One JAE 101 is built and will be ready to run by next weekend....will have pics of it when it is complete...a fun & fast rigger to build :)

Here are a few pics of the 90-101 JAE Rigger....Ray Bowden is a proud owner of the 90-101 JAE Rigger...testing has been good with turn fin & prop testing. So far the Virgina craftsman turn fin has been working great & a Andy Brown prop....the rigger was built for a CMB 101....but Ray dropped in a Shelf Queen CMB 90 EVO Purple Head & was doing 84MPH on the straight a way & coming out of the corners doing 70 + with incredible turning power. The rigger weight came out at 9-1/4 pounds-(no fuel)....I think you could run a CMB .67 in it & would be fine without a problem in the 101 rigger.....Ray did tell me that the CMB 101 did have a lot of torque. I will be building more JAE 101s to try out a CMB .67 & more 90s to come. I would like to thank the JAE TEAM for a Great Design. I will try to get some close-up shots next time I see ray at the pond.

Joel

Joel, Ray, The boat looks good. Any setup issues or did it run first time out. You will be able to pull a lot of pitch with that setup.

Joel, Ray, The boat looks good. Any setup issues or did it run first time out. You will be able to pull a lot of pitch with that setup.
David the JAE 90-101 had no problem getting up on the water....the only issues where finding the right turn fin & prop + working with the strut a little to give it some attack angle....but after some setup work the JAE rigger is driving very nice on the water with no pulling & drives straight at high speed.....and the turning speed is great. Ray has only tested two props on this rigger & the second one he is using is making it go 85 MPH without that much testing + this rigger shows no sign of hop in the turns. Ray is running a old CMB 90 purple head in the rigger now & Ray thinks with a CMB 101 or the new CMB 91 VAC Engine it should go 100MPH with the right prop. Ray feels that 85 MPH is more then enough speed for course racing. This rigger is not built with lite plywood....it is built with the heavy duty aircraft plywood to keep it from flexing + it makes for a strong race boat in course racing.

PS--If anybody is interested in the 90-101 rigger I will be building them up, you can PM me if you are interested.

Joel

Latest posts

Back