JAE 21GT Build

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
IMG_0007.PNG

Question for you guys...

Can this last compartment be a wet bay with small drain holes in the back corners? Im trying to avoid having to use a radio box seal at the transom to free up the steering linkage. IMG_0007.PNG

Neutral...

IMG_0007.PNG

And full right rudder. The pushrod just touches the side of the hole. But obviously with the boot seal in there, it binds. Im not a big fan of the music wire pushrod / Z-bend method.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hi Chris

Youre fine, the seal goes on the bulk head with the 3 on it. You can drill a hole in the bottom of the bait box ( the last compartment) for a drain, put on the left/starboard side so it will allow water to drain going around the course. You have the servo/push rod centered at neutral. Normally I have enough left rudder set with the end point adjustment in the radio so I can do an emergency spin to keep from hitting a dead boat. The amount of right travel is usually set to be able to carve a turn on the bouys at speed. Call me if you like. If I didnt give you my number at Flint Im sorry, Ill pm it to you.

Thanks John

IMG_8989.JPG

The geometry of the ZippKits rudder is really throwing me for a loop. The arm is behind the pivot point and when the rudder moves to the right it pulls the pushrod with it. This causes things to go out of alignment by quite a bit. Should I just make a small aluminum tab that the servo connects to that places the pushrod linkage pivot inline with the rudder pivot?IMG_0007.jpg

The second pic is approx the max throw they recommend. And that is a carbon pushrod, and I’m sure as it is it wouldn’t be an issue but the servo starts really buzzing after about 1/2 the rudder throw.

Last edited by a moderator:
Changed mine to speed master for this reason. And you shouldn't need that much input anyway. Only to avoid something.

Changed mine to speed master for this reason. And you shouldn't need that much input anyway. Only to avoid something.
Yeah, my buddy is about to buy a JAE21GT kit, I told him to hold off on the complete ZippKits hardware kit and buy a couple of Speedmaster items like their rudder and pipe mount and a Walt Barney SS tank.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Are any of the mounting holes reusable? Or did you have to plug them and redrill the transom? I know the Speedmaster one is 4 bolts versus only two, of course.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

There is nothing wrong with the zipp hardware, you are making a mountain out of a mole hill with this alignment issue, you will never use that much throw on your steering servo, ever with a jae. You should be running your linkage in the shortest throw hole on your servo and all the way out on the rudder to slow the steering down. If you run the speedmaster mini rudder you may have prop walk issues,I did, it's a thinner blade but did not work for my set up.

I used the jae transom bracket and mounted the speedmaster to it. Works fine for me.

The first thing is to see what hole in the rudder arm lines up with the center of both holes which ever one does use that hole then hook up your push to the rudder and Unhook it from the servo arm and check alignment I think your servo is in the wrong place that is just my thoughts but I could be wrong

There is nothing wrong with the zipp hardware, you are making a mountain out of a mole hill with this alignment issue, you will never use that much throw on your steering servo, ever with a jae. You should be running your linkage in the shortest throw hole on your servo and all the way out on the rudder to slow the steering down. If you run the speedmaster mini rudder you may have prop walk issues,I did, it's a thinner blade but did not work for my set up.
I’ve built over 50 airplanes in my day, this is all new to me. And this is my first boat, so...

That’s exactly how my linkage is setup. Closest hole on the servo, furthest on the arm. In the build manual it mentions 3/8” of rudder throw, so that’s what I was attempting to achieve.

Thx for the advice Mark [emoji1360]

these boats turn very well , it will take minimum steering to run the course, very nice build, I think you will like it when your done, what motor are you going to run?

Back