IMPBA vs NAMBA

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pa_28r_200

I have a question for you guys. I'm a relative newbie & I've found myself getting involved in a new club that has recently formed in the area. I've been involved with many RC aircraft clubs over the years and have been an officer in pretty much all capacities so I know all to well about the politics involved.

Keep in mind that this area that encompasses a pretty large metropolitan cross section, and there are quite a few boaters that currently are inactive due to lack of a facility. The lake we have aquired is very suitable and in an industrial area next to a major highway....noise will not be a factor, and it is centrally located. The property owner is very receptive to developing what sounds like will be a first rate club along with docks a driving stand. I'm very excited about it, personally.

It was voted on, prior to my joining, to be an IMPBA club.

Now, here is the question. As I've gotten around and talked to the LHS', I've found that many potential members have indicated that they do not want to be a part of the club, simply because it is IMPBA sanctioned. I don't get it. Why ?? What difference does it make...insurance is insurance....

In fact, I would go as far as to say that the dislike is as strong what I saw when I was learning to fly heli's years ago from the old school airplane guys.....it makes no sense.....these guys would rather not run boats at all.

Anyway, maybe you guys could shed a little light on it for me....

Here's what happened in IMPBA. The Gas guys from Florida decided that they didn't like the way the rules were, They voted amongst their clubs to quit IMPBA and switch over to NAMBA. After about two years of NAMBA's rules they decided that they might like to come back to IMPBA. What I get from this is that they just didn't want to be told what to do!. Safety is a real problem at gas events. I see many boaters start their boat and throw it in the water with no backer to help them. That is an accident waiting to happen. I don't think there is enough difference between the IMPBA and NAMBA rules to make anyone switch. Maybe you could be the first one to bridge the gap and make your pond IMPBA/NAMBA.

Ahhh...okay, that kind of fits in with some of the replies I recieved. I still don't get why some folks would rather put there boats in the bathtub and make motor noises rather than just be a little flexible and have a great place to run.....

:huh: :huh:

I would say most people switch between organizations because of just plain silliness whether the memeber or the governing body is at fault. You said it yourself,

I know all to well about the politics involved.
Each organization has a set of rules (guidlines) that "we" follow. Then you have those that can't follow but have a following. Again, silliness.

Good luck with the new site! And good luck membership.

"Now, here is the question. As I've gotten around and talked to the LHS', I've found that many potential members have indicated that they do not want to be a part of the club, simply because it is IMPBA sanctioned. I don't get it. Why ?? What difference does it make...insurance is insurance...."

I'd be willing to bet that they don't want to cough up the $50 annual dues, seen this more than once. Don't sweat it, sanction the site IMPBA like you want & if they want to run they join to have insurance, it's just that simple. B)

Good. point Bill. Also Ron can best give you both side of the coin as he raced IMPBA Nats this year. Also Ron Byrd who has been and still is a corner stone of that areas racing and he is also invloved in both organizations.

My two cents wants to know. "how did IMPBA get its self in the boiling pot it is in now." WHAT you ASK? There is NO NOMINEE for the BIG JOB. it is write in. If enough people write in......................DON or PRESTON will be next president. :blink: :blink:

"Then you have those that can't follow but have a following"

Very well put! :p

Prez? Nah, not this time around. I spent alot of years at the helm of the D.C. club & asst. director & now district scale director is about as far as I'll go for now. :)

Since it was previously voted on it sounds like the choice was IMPBA. I still don't see what the big deal is ...........

Best of luck to you & your new site regardless. :D

If enough people write in......................DON or PRESTON will be next president.
You should be shot for planting that idea into the heads of these people. :lol: J/K

Besides, if I were President I am sure the memebrship would drop because I wouldn't put up with most of this useless squabbling I hear.

Just in case it happens.........................ummmm...............I QUIT! :lol:

I'll join NAMBA and move to Florida. :lol:

"Besides, if I were President I am sure the membership would drop because I wouldn't put up with most of this useless squabbling I hear."

DITTO!! :p

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Mr. pa_28r_200,

I am President of the Brandon Model Boaters club here in your area. I'm sure I can speak for all our members when I say we'll welcome new boaters (and a new club), the more the merrier.

We are members of NAMBA District 3, as are most clubs in this state. I'm sure IMPBA is a fine organization, however not being NAMBA will make your participation in race events more costly, ie:insurance crossover fees. I don't think there are many IMPBA events near this area, so any race you attend will probably be NAMBA sanctioned.

I wish you guys the best of luck with your new club. If you need any kind of help getting set up please let me know. We may be able to help. By the way, Ron Drake is a member of our club, and an excellent source of information. If you need his # give me a shout. Don :D

AMPBA is always an option....

Might cost you a little to get your boats to an AMPBA pond though!!! But on the plus side, think of the Air Miles!!!!!

Then again maybe the Aussies could all join IMPBA and whaddya know... Aussie IMPBA President???? Now who would pay the airfares to attend meetings????

EMS Racing another silly idea

IMPBA Insurance vs NAMBA Insurance

I would like to know what the difference is between IMPBA and NAMBA insurance. For every question I ask regarding the differences I get two or three very conflicting repies. Does anyone out there really know the true answer to this question and if so will you please let us know. Thank you!

I don't know about IMPBA's insurance, however, if you'd like to see NAMBA's insurance package go to namba.com and click on "INSURANCE."

It might be that IMPBA's insurance coverage is presented on their website.

JD

Thanks for the offer of support Don, maybe at some point we can have an "open house" of sorts and you folks can come check out what we're doing...I'm sure there is a conditional statement in the insurance for something like that.

Pretty much it's in agreement in this club that the short term goal is just to have fun & not participate in racing right away. Right now it consists of a few veterans and guys like me who don't have a clue. I have been out of boats and into flying for almost 20 years; back then a bunch of us used to run tunnell hulls over off of Waters and Hanley...just playing around...that is what appealled to me about this new club.

Bruce

Herry and Buzbee: Thanks for your quick response to my question. I am a member of NAMBA and also race at 4 or 5 IMPBA races a year. This coming year I will join both organizations. What I really meant by my question was what are the differences in the insurance of the two organizations from someone who has direct experience with coverage, claims, etc. I have read the two insurance plans as presented on their sites but I am not knowledgable enough with insurance to know the differences. Things like who are the underwriters. How many claims does each have against their policies, how quickly do they pay, how difficult is it to get reimbursement, Is it worth it for a Club to join both organizations as it is for an individual member who races at over 5 races at each per year. etc. etc.

I have heard some real horror stories and would like to know from an experienced NAMBA/IMPBA member what their take is on this very important matter. Thanks, Perry (Perry P. Walter, NAMBA 831)

Bruce: I forgot to mention in my last post that I have been racing R/C boats for about a year and a half now after retiring from over 30 years of owning and driving the big boats. In the big boats you must belong to a local Club to race in APBA. I personally like that idea as it brings everyone together both socially and to ensure enough races. Yes there are butt-heads in those clubs but my personal experience is that you find them everywhere. I am a member of the Space Coast Rudder Busters in Cocoa, FL. We have a great club with a small group of guys who get along well. We have a mix of new racers including me, my son, Joe Rivard and Jeff Prichard. But we also have vets like Jack St Clair, Randy Haygood, Ed Lackey and Ray Kindred.

My first race last year was at Brandon. Since then I attend every race they put on as they show me the best hospitality of any race I have been to. It is too bad you got a bad feeling somehow about them as, in my opinion, they are the greatest. Always well organized, a good race course, great pits, shady trees, what else can I say. Oh yes they also hosted the awards banquet for the 2003 season and did a tremendous job with it including their famous peanut and M & M mix. So good luck with your club Bruce. If we at the Space Coast Rudder Busters can ever be of any help to you and your Club all you have to do is ask. Keep the rooster tail high, Perry (Perry P. Walter, NAMBA 831)

Perry,

Thanks for the reply, in hindsight I went back and edited my original post...I didn't want to come across as putting down Brandon as a club. It was simply just a few giving the whole a bad impression in one particular instance.

What you describe is pretty much what I'm looking for at this point, I don't want to be a world champion, I just want to go spend a couple hours a month playing around with some boats & being social.......

Also...if I did intend on competing...I agree..what's another 50 bucks to join both ?? I spend that at happy hour !!

Anyway, thanks for the offer, I'll pass it on the Prez...as I know he's lurking.... :p

Bruce

Perry,

Thanks for the kind words about our club. You are definitely a class act and an asset to our district. You always seem to be having a great time at the races you attend. Looking forward to your race in November. Are you going to Broward this weeK? See you there if you are! Don

Latest posts

Back