IMPBA RTR Rules Q

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chriscrash

Supporting Member
If I attend an IMPBA sanctioned/rules observed race and there are 5 Vegas style hulls and I bring a nitro SV27, will it be allowed to run in the RTR class? It appears to fit into the rtr rules as such. I only see a qualification for separation if there are benough SV27 to run in their own class. So essentially RTR is Open RTR right? Or Open RTR with a certain displacement limit? I am having a hard time pushing customers towards a certain hull without knowing what is or isn't allowed. And the SV27 is more appealing to the new boater/ potential racer/ hobbyist

Thanks,

Chris

It all depends on how the club decides to setup the class. Some will say they're offering .18 RTR hydro and others will just leave it open. The rules were defined this way because there are so many choices and it's impossible for a club to predict what might show up. Rather than locking the rules into a specific boat, and dooming them to obsolescence when the manufacturer drops that boat, they are flexible enough to withstand changing products.

Also note that just as the Vegas can run in B hydro and Sport 20, the SV27 can run in B mono.

I think most clubs will do what they can to get you into a class during a race. I have run against an SV27 with my Vegas. I have also run against a small shovel nose .12 hydro in the RTR class.

But as Chuck said, it is up to the club what they will allow. I would love to see enough RTRs come out to have two or three different types of classes for them...

Sean

I agree Sean. I think we should have a .18 rtr run what you brung and a Gasser run what you brung. Anyone know if the SV27 electric is same speed as the nitro version?

Thanks Chris

Chris which race are you talkng about best way to get an easy answer is to call the CD and ask? One item that might make a difference but is still up tot he CD and how they post it on the race flyer is the Hydro Masters race in Indy since the SV27 is a MONO and hot a hydro that could eliminate your hull from competeing. Againcheck with the CD first.

Surprisingly, the SV27 can hold it's own quite well against the likes of a Miss Vegas hydro. In fact, the SV27 might actually have an advantage, but I'm not coordinated enough to run mine side by side to see how they compare. ;)

Having a "little experience" with both the SV 27 Nitro and the Miss Vegas, IMO the MV is a much better racing boat. This is especially true if the water gets rough. The MV will handle rough water conditions much better than the SV 27. But, what does the guy who designed both boats know anyway? ;)

JD

Chris which race are you talkng about best way to get an easy answer is to call the CD and ask? One item that might make a difference but is still up tot he CD and how they post it on the race flyer is the Hydro Masters race in Indy since the SV27 is a MONO and hot a hydro that could eliminate your hull from competeing. Againcheck with the CD first.

Bill your statement is exactly my point. If I as a store owner want to direct customers toward boat racing and directly toward the IMPBA, which hull do I tell them to purchase? The one that is more versatile and can be run aroud the lake in any pattern for fun (SV27) but may or may not be allowed to race, or toward the hull that will definately be allowed to race but may not be as initially appealing to customers.

This is one of the issues that is difficult to deal with. We want more people to come to our pond, and we want them to have the opportunity to race if it appeals to them after "playing" with their boat at our facility. But telling them what boat to bring is difficult. I don't want a customer to buy a boat that they don't enjoy as a hobbyist if they don't decide to race. And I don't want a customer to have a boat that they really can't race if they do decide to race.

These are not hypotheticals they are really happening and I am still struggling to guide our customer base. I know you guys work very hard for typically very little appreciation. And I absolutely appreciate all that you and the IMPBA does for organized racing. I just don't want to miss out on this great opportunity in RTR boat racing potential that has been afforded to us because of guys like Grim and Russ and of course their company Hobbico. It appears there has never been a better opportunity to draw new racers to the pond and I don't want our organization (IMPBA) to miss out on a potential growth explosion.

Thanks for your ear.

Chris

Bill your statement is exactly my point. If I as a store owner want to direct customers toward boat racing and directly toward the IMPBA, which hull do I tell them to purchase? As a store owner always recommend what boat will be the most fun especially for a first time boater.The one that is more versatile and can be run aroud the lake in any pattern for fun (SV27) but may or may not be allowed to race, or toward the hull that will definately be allowed to race but may not be as initially appealing to customers. If enough SV or RTR monos show up at a club race most clubs will offer a class but truthfully alot of the RTR owners still do not take the trouble to join an organization and get invloved with hosting a race much entring a race. A while back Gas boaters were complaining that the nitro guys didn't offer them classes at the races now the gas guys are hosting their own races and doing the work themselves all IMPBA and clubs regestered in IMPBA can do is offer classes it's up to the racers to show up in enough quanities to actually support the specialty classes.

This is one of the issues that is difficult to deal with. We want more people to come to our pond, and we want them to have the opportunity to race if it appeals to them after "playing" with their boat at our facility. But telling them what boat to bring is difficult. I don't want a customer to buy a boat that they don't enjoy as a hobbyist if they don't decide to race. And I don't want a customer to have a boat that they really can't race if they do decide to race. Clubs can come up with thier own classes just the best prctice is to publish the specifics on the race flyers so all potenial racers know in advance what rules will be. Dist 4 is who cam up with the sport hydro class and offered it at their races. D5 is who came up with the first Sport 21 Outboard Tunnel Class both of these classes have really evolved over th eyears and are some of the more popular classes now.

These are not hypotheticals they are really happening and I am still struggling to guide our customer base. I know you guys work very hard for typically very little appreciation. And I absolutely appreciate all that you and the IMPBA does for organized racing. I just don't want to miss out on this great opportunity in RTR boat racing potential that has been afforded to us because of guys like Grim and Russ and of course their company Hobbico. It appears there has never been a better opportunity to draw new racers to the pond and I don't want our organization (IMPBA) to miss out on a potential growth explosion.

Thanks Chris I also worked in a LHS for many years just to learn the business and as I stated get the newby into a set up that works well and they can have fun with I prefer monos since most can make lefts and rights while a hydro is normally not conducive to left turns.

Thanks for your ear.

Chris

Bill your statement is exactly my point. If I as a store owner want to direct customers toward boat racing and directly toward the IMPBA, which hull do I tell them to purchase? The one that is more versatile and can be run aroud the lake in any pattern for fun (SV27) but may or may not be allowed to race, or toward the hull that will definately be allowed to race but may not be as initially appealing to customers.

This is one of the issues that is difficult to deal with. We want more people to come to our pond, and we want them to have the opportunity to race if it appeals to them after "playing" with their boat at our facility. But telling them what boat to bring is difficult. I don't want a customer to buy a boat that they don't enjoy as a hobbyist if they don't decide to race. And I don't want a customer to have a boat that they really can't race if they do decide to race.

Thanks for your ear.

Chris
Chris,

You will never make a mistake with either boat. They are great entry level boats for a great price. There is no doubt that they are two differant classes of boats and a new boater would have fun with either boat. A lot of the races have had trouble filling a RTR class and I am sure that either boat would be allowed in the RTR class. As the numbers increase of the two boats where would be no problem to spliting them up. But I want you to understand that both boats can be run in other classes also. They are both legal in the B class engine size. Now yes the motors are on the small size of the B class but can run. Also I am sure without a lot of trouble that they could be fitted with the 21 size motor for not alot of money when the new boater is ready to increase the performance of the boat. The engines classes and other rules can be found in our rule book from the website www.impba.net. Here is our engine class rules from the Techical Standards.

Engine/Motor Definitions and Classifications

1. Displacement

The cubic inch displacement of a power plant shall be the sum total of the

displacement of all cylinders in the power plant. The cubic inch displacement of multicylinder engines, two or more engines driving attached together and two or more engines driving separate propellers will be added together to determine the total displacement and thus the class the power will run in. To determine engine class, read calculated engine displacement to three decimal places, drop all remaining figures.

2. Internal Combustion Engine Classes

Class Cubic Inch Displacement Metric Class

A 0.000 thru 0.129 2.1 CC

B 0.130 thru 0.219 3.5 CC

C 0.220 thru 0.300 4.9 CC

D 0.301 thru 0.458 7.5 CC

E 0.459 thru 0.670 11.0 CC

F 0.671 thru 1.830 30.0 CC

Formulas: CC X .061 = CID, CID divided by .061 = CC

Note: For Large Scale Gasoline engine classes see section “I”, Large Scale Gasoline

Latest posts

Back