IMPBA Historical help needed

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I remember '81 in Indy & '83 in Oxford, MI...
default_smile.png

1977 and 1978 completed .. Thanks again to Jim Recker for the archival work !!

c1.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
You have a lot of years covered. I didn't see 1987 so I will give you my 1987 US-1 F-Mono Huntsville. Twin Craft twin 80 mono. 56 inches long. Everyone was teasing me and calling it a bathtub boat because it was so big. I did break the oval record shortly there after with the bathtub boat. Today 56 inches is not all that big in the gas classes.

John Finch
Thanks John, I will begin to put out the partial lists and hope that we can get them filled in by year, for 1987 at the moment I only have Andy's win in E Hydro and yours in F mono.

Andy we were thinking about the Top Gun at the 1987 Internats. It was not until 1988 that we did the Top Gun at the Internats we called it "Race 88". Back in those days Multi-engine was special event. And it was always run after the Internats was over. It could have been Friday or Saturday for these events or not at all. Depended on the Internats event being finish. I remember in 1984 Bartow Internats that we only got thru the 3rd round. So there were not any special events.

In the 1988 Internats / Race 88 we ran three or four rounds of Multi-engine boats. The top eight boats were place into the final, thus the "Top Gun" event. Each driver got a special hat that was a trophy in itself because there were only eight hats. I have one of the hats myself. Boy I will tell you that 16 or more engines running in the pits at the same time was something. There were some guys running three engines but I don't remember if they made it to the field.

The first Top Gun winner was Doug McNeely. And I think he was running a Mongoose.

We did not get the Multi-engines boats into a class until 2005. I wrote the rules as they are and we follow up and change the engine size the next year. The first US 1 Multi-engine Internats was in Evansville IN. and the winner was Ralph Almirola.

Andy we were thinking about the Top Gun at the 1987 Internats. It was not until 1988 that we did the Top Gun at the Internats we called it "Race 88". Back in those days Multi-engine was special event. And it was always run after the Internats was over. It could have been Friday or Saturday for these events or not at all. Depended on the Internats event being finish. I remember in 1984 Bartow Internats that we only got thru the 3rd round. So there were not any special events.

In the 1988 Internats / Race 88 we ran three or four rounds of Multi-engine boats. The top eight boats were place into the final, thus the "Top Gun" event. Each driver got a special hat that was a trophy in itself because there were only eight hats. I have one of the hats myself. Boy I will tell you that 16 or more engines running in the pits at the same time was something. There were some guys running three engines but I don't remember if they made it to the field.

The first Top Gun winner was Doug McNeely. And I think he was running a Mongoose.

We did not get the Multi-engines boats into a class until 2005. I wrote the rules as they are and we follow up and change the engine size the next year. The first US 1 Multi-engine Internats was in Evansville IN. and the winner was Ralph Almirola.
So if 88 was the year we did the first Twin race, then I think Cliff Rose won US-1 F-Hydro in 1987.

I remember Doug McNeely's Top Gun Win. That was the second Twin Mongoose I built, also Picco 67 powered. Joe Ingrao had the third Twin Mongoose built with OPS 80 power. He placed well in that 1988 Top Gun race.

1979 Completed Dallas TX

Also looking for 2009 @ Seville OH - B Mono, Sport40 and 1/8 Scale winners to finish that one out

c1.JPG

That right Andy. We always had twin races in the special event at the Internats as did most of the other host clubs that put the Internats on. And I am sure your right as of Cliff Rose winning US-1 in F hydro but I sure don't remember him and I was there. I wonder what that is a sign of?

That right Andy. We always had twin races in the special event at the Internats as did most of the other host clubs that put the Internats on. And I am sure your right as of Cliff Rose winning US-1 in F hydro but I sure don't remember him and I was there. I wonder what that is a sign of?
Cliff was a relatively new boater from Miami. He raced just a few years around 1985 -1988. The 87 Huntsville Internats is the only one he ever attended.

We had only one set of props for that boat. They worked perfect in Florida, but where just a bit big for Huntsville. We got a set of props from John Beardsly at the race that worked great. Cliff won the 1/3 mile oval event. The water was very rough. I remember Don Pinckert stating what an amazingly fast time it was.

Yah, I know that "sign" you are speaking of. LOL

Many thanks to Dick Tyndall for complete 1991, 1993, and 1994 results.

Corrected 1994 duplicate !!

c1.JPG

c2.JPG

c1.JPG

Anybody have any info on the 1980 Nats held in ( I think ) Bartow, FL? Run by a club called Florida Associated Speed Team. I had an article, but they posted no results in the mag.

Yep Don Pinkert ran that race and I won 40 Tunnel and took six months to get my patch for that!!! That whole race was a mess but remember it was a nice lake maybe we can get it to play at again??? Near a car dealership so spectators came to check out the noise??

Later!!

Pat

Back