IMPBA Historical help needed

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have one of those autographed programs somewhere here . It was from the Slidell nats, I think 1989 for the 40th anniversary. I know it was signed by all the IMPBA officers and Directors. I need to find it

bob

I have one of those autographed programs somewhere here . It was from the Slidell nats, I think 1989 for the 40th anniversary. I know it was signed by all the IMPBA officers and Directors. I need to find it

bob
Hey, I won E Hydro that year.
default_smile.png

Terry,

Was that the year that they ran heat racing only where you had to qualify to get into the final main to run for US-1? I've been looking for some history on that nats and the format.

If my memory serves me right, the pond in Slidell was to small to do time trials, so they had a heat race nats that consisted of 5 rounds of racing with the top 6 boats being entered in a 3 round shoot out for the US-1. We had the first Northern Nats that year and ran the same format at Thread Lake.

I think you are right about that Mike, That pond is waaay too small to run straightaway

I hope this helps.....Stan Simpson

LA 89' B Hydro Low Profile Coyote,NR engine

Atl 91' D Hydro Francoletti Coyote,Rossi

Atl 91' B Mono Seaducer,NR

St. Louis 93' D Mono NewbyCraft,Rossi

St. Louis 93' Excellence of Performance,D Mono

Bartow 95' D Hydro U/L Road Runner,Rossi

Bartow 95' E Mono Aeromarine,Rossi???

Huntsville 99' D Mono MicroBurst,Picco

Charleston 14' B Mono MicroBurst,NR

Charleston 14' E Mono MicroBurst,CMB

Charleston 14' F mono MicroBurst.SS III 90 engine

***** Excellence of Performance for the second time and the Presidents Cup in the same yr.*****

Just do not remember the yr. maybe Huntsville
I believe Charleston was 2013

Terry,

Was that the year that they ran heat racing only where you had to qualify to get into the final main to run for US-1? I've been looking for some history on that nats and the format.

If my memory serves me right, the pond in Slidell was to small to do time trials, so they had a heat race nats that consisted of 5 rounds of racing with the top 6 boats being entered in a 3 round shoot out for the US-1. We had the first Northern Nats that year and ran the same format at Thread Lake.
Exactly right. They called it US1 and gave out the plaques etc. but there were no time trials. Man that was a long time ago!
default_ohmy.png

That was a good race, Hi Terry

bob
Hey Bob, good so see you on here, maybe catch ya down in HVille one of these years...
default_tongue.png

Mike, I was at the race. Art McMeans pushed a heat race format only because he did not like doing the trophy trials. It really doesn't make much difference on the length of the lake to do trophy trials because it is the same for everyone. The trophy trials rarely result in a record.

It WAS NOT A SHOOT OUT FORMAT. It was 6 or 7 rounds, total points determined the winner.

The first shoot out was done at a Huntsville. It was a twin event called the TOP GUN. Top 5 or 6 boats/ Twins(only class) and winner took all. Some guys have the top gun hats we gave to the qualifiers.

I and others in retrospect wish we had never came up with concept.

It is not pretty to see twins $1-2000+ boats thrash and crash in one race to get a trophy that you can't buy a BIG MAC! It only shows that in the one race a boat or two survived to win that one race.

To me a shoot out does not identify the best boat in a class, just who can survive.

I guess that is why I like and will always prefer the TRADITIONAL INTERNATS FORMAT. STRAIGHT AWAYS, Ovals and then heat racing and the weighted scores determines the best boat and driver per the rule book.

BTW IF ONE CANT DO A WEEK THEN ONE CAN ATTEND THE HEAT RACING , WIN THE NITRO NATIONAL PORTION.

It seems the 3 day races and 4 day(Hobert) results in us using up a at least 5-7 days.

I guess it is obvious I miss the traditional INTERNATS . The last one I had to miss ( Charleston due to a family commitment)

OH WELL ENOUGH "CONFABULATION".

Terry,

You are correct Mike! 5 qualifiers and 3 finals. That is my favorite race format. The cream really comes to the top and the three final heats are great competition.

That 1989 Internats was my second favorite US-1 win. I won all EIGHT heats. Ultra perfect score! Had a Picco Hydro 90 powered 80 Mongoose that was on it's game! That same boat held the IMPBA SAW record at that time and the APBA two lap oval record.

Terry,

You are correct Mike! 5 qualifiers and 3 finals. That is my favorite race format. The cream really comes to the top and the three final heats are great competition.

That 1989 Internats was my second favorite US-1 win. I won all EIGHT heats. Ultra perfect score! Had a Picco Hydro 90 powered 80 Mongoose that was on it's game! That same boat held the IMPBA SAW record at that time and the APBA two lap oval record.

Mike, I was at the race. Art McMeans pushed a heat race format only because he did not like doing the trophy trials. It really doesn't make much difference on the length of the lake to do trophy trials because it is the same for everyone. The trophy trials rarely result in a record.

It WAS NOT A SHOOT OUT FORMAT. It was 6 or 7 rounds, total points determined the winner.

The first shoot out was done at a Huntsville. It was a twin event called the TOP GUN. Top 5 or 6 boats/ Twins(only class) and winner took all. Some guys have the top gun hats we gave to the qualifiers.

I and others in retrospect wish we had never came up with concept.

It is not pretty to see twins $1-2000+ boats thrash and crash in one race to get a trophy that you can't buy a BIG MAC! It only shows that in the one race a boat or two survived to win that one race.

To me a shoot out does not identify the best boat in a class, just who can survive.

I guess that is why I like and will always prefer the TRADITIONAL INTERNATS FORMAT. STRAIGHT AWAYS, Ovals and then heat racing and the weighted scores determines the best boat and driver per the rule book.

BTW IF ONE CANT DO A WEEK THEN ONE CAN ATTEND THE HEAT RACING , WIN THE NITRO NATIONAL PORTION.

It seems the 3 day races and 4 day(Hobert) results in us using up a at least 5-7 days.

I guess it is obvious I miss the traditional INTERNATS . The last one I had to miss ( Charleston due to a family commitment)

OH WELL ENOUGH "CONFABULATION".
Doc, I don't know if Art had anything to do with the Heat race only format, which was in fact 5 qualifiers and 3 finals with the top six boats. I remember very well, because the format did not work out so well for Art in E hydro because he WON the 5 qualifiers, but did not do well in the finals. He was upset about that and was actually complaining about the format at that point.

For me, I love that format. I won F Hydro with a perfect score in the 5 qualifiers and a perfect score in the 3 final rounds running against the top six dogs.

I won two NAVIGA World championships with the same format. A great way to race boats!

Guys any idea on the location of the 1998 Internats. I have the winners but dont know where it was ?

c1.JPG

Terry,

Thanks Andy. That is what I thought. I was not there, but was pretty sure about the format because I was CD of the race up here and we ran the same format as the nats. I like that format a lot as well along with the old hydro masters format of qualifying to make it into the mains and the A main just being the top 6 or 7.

One of the reasons I have asked about this is that I thought at that time, they wrote into the IMPBA rules as this being an alternate format for running an US-1 internats. There is no record of this and there are not that many of us around that go back that far. I knew there was a US-1 heat racing nats, I just could not remember when. There are some ideas being thrown around now about changing the US-1 format. We'll see how it goes.

Anyone know where the 1984 Internats was held. I see Mark Bullard was 3rd in D Hydro ???

c1.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

bob
Hey, I won E Hydro that year.
default_smile.png
Terry, wasn't that the race some yahoo swan across the lake and Terry Moore and others put him in the porta Jon till the police came? I think he was so doped up, they had to turn the Jon on its side. Being 14 at the time.....that was a sight.

Last edited by a moderator:
Anyone know where the 1984 Internats was held. I see Mark Bullard was 3rd in D Hydro ???
1984 was Bartow, Fla. Donna and I were there for the heat racing, but not the timed events. It was her first Internats. She ran a K&B 3.5 powered Crapshooter.

Back