IMPBA Historical help needed

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Terry,

Was that the year that they ran heat racing only where you had to qualify to get into the final main to run for US-1? I've been looking for some history on that nats and the format.

If my memory serves me right, the pond in Slidell was to small to do time trials, so they had a heat race nats that consisted of 5 rounds of racing with the top 6 boats being entered in a 3 round shoot out for the US-1. We had the first Northern Nats that year and ran the same format at Thread Lake.
You are correct Mike! 5 qualifiers and 3 finals. That is my favorite race format. The cream really comes to the top and the three final heats are great competition.

That 1989 Internats was my second favorite US-1 win. I won all EIGHT heats. Ultra perfect score! Had a Picco Hydro 90 powered 80 Mongoose that was on it's game! That same boat held the IMPBA SAW record at that time and the APBA two lap oval record.
Thanks Andy. That is what I thought. I was not there, but was pretty sure about the format because I was CD of the race up here and we ran the same format as the nats. I like that format a lot as well along with the old hydro masters format of qualifying to make it into the mains and the A main just being the top 6 or 7.

One of the reasons I have asked about this is that I thought at that time, they wrote into the IMPBA rules as this being an alternate format for running an US-1 internats. There is no record of this and there are not that many of us around that go back that far. I knew there was a US-1 heat racing nats, I just could not remember when. There are some ideas being thrown around now about changing the US-1 format. We'll see how it goes.
Mike, I think you are correct about the 1989 race being an Official US-1 event. I have always remembered that I had won US-1 in F Hydro there, but I put "National Champion" on my list because of the current Internats format is not US-1. I have never saved many trophies or plaques, so I can't find one for that event. I would think Terry Keely has his. Maybe he can set the record straight. Or maybe Stan Simpson. It would be great if they made that an official format for US-1, at the Nitro, gas, and electric Internats. Otherwise it's "just another heat race".

I have one of those autographed programs somewhere here . It was from the Slidell nats, I think 1989 for the 40th anniversary. I know it was signed by all the IMPBA officers and Directors. I need to find it

bob
Hey, I won E Hydro that year.
default_smile.png
Terry, wasn't that the race some yahoo swan across the lake and Terry Moore and others put him in the porta Jon till the police came? I think he was so doped up, they had to turn the Jon on its side. Being 14 at the time.....that was a sight.
Ya, I remember that, that dude was F*$%ed up!

Terry,

Was that the year that they ran heat racing only where you had to qualify to get into the final main to run for US-1? I've been looking for some history on that nats and the format.

If my memory serves me right, the pond in Slidell was to small to do time trials, so they had a heat race nats that consisted of 5 rounds of racing with the top 6 boats being entered in a 3 round shoot out for the US-1. We had the first Northern Nats that year and ran the same format at Thread Lake.
You are correct Mike! 5 qualifiers and 3 finals. That is my favorite race format. The cream really comes to the top and the three final heats are great competition.

That 1989 Internats was my second favorite US-1 win. I won all EIGHT heats. Ultra perfect score! Had a Picco Hydro 90 powered 80 Mongoose that was on it's game! That same boat held the IMPBA SAW record at that time and the APBA two lap oval record.
Thanks Andy. That is what I thought. I was not there, but was pretty sure about the format because I was CD of the race up here and we ran the same format as the nats. I like that format a lot as well along with the old hydro masters format of qualifying to make it into the mains and the A main just being the top 6 or 7.

One of the reasons I have asked about this is that I thought at that time, they wrote into the IMPBA rules as this being an alternate format for running an US-1 internats. There is no record of this and there are not that many of us around that go back that far. I knew there was a US-1 heat racing nats, I just could not remember when. There are some ideas being thrown around now about changing the US-1 format. We'll see how it goes.
Mike, I think you are correct about the 1989 race being an Official US-1 event. I have always remembered that I had won US-1 in F Hydro there, but I put "National Champion" on my list because of the current Internats format is not US-1. I have never saved many trophies or plaques, so I can't find one for that event. I would think Terry Keely has his. Maybe he can set the record straight. Or maybe Stan Simpson. It would be great if they made that an official format for US-1, at the Nitro, gas, and electric Internats. Otherwise it's "just another heat race".

Don't have the paque anymore but quite sure we were awarded them. Have a clock in my office shaped in the state of LA with "Third Place E hydro", guess that proves it was 5 heats then a 3 heat final.

Last edited by a moderator:
I do remember that. It was my first Internats. And also where I met my X wife. Maybe I should have stayed out of Bartow.

Anyone know where the 1984 Internats was held. I see Mark Bullard was 3rd in D Hydro ???
1984 was Bartow, Fla. Donna and I were there for the heat racing, but not the timed events. It was her first Internats. She ran a K&B 3.5 powered Crapshooter.
Here is a list of all the locations by year:http://nebula.wsimg.com/d4bfe7b98cc7731e98026bbb1bee5ec1?AccessKeyId=ACA7381D2BFC72351748&disposition=0&alloworigin=1
1977 Hammond La. was my first IMPBA Internats.

2001 Sarasota Internats was my last.

I loved the SAW/Oval/Heat race US-1 format. Maybe a 5/3 heat race format for US-1 could be established. I would get excited about that.
default_smile.png

Why is there a desire to change the established Internats format?

Is it because, just a desire to change?

Is it because it is felt that those that came up with the Internats format did not know what they were doing?

Is it just a disdain against past accomplishments and "WE NEED TO DO SOMETHING DIFFERENT ?"

Is it a lack of understanding about the Internats format since most NOT ALL who are wanting to change the Internats have never participate in an Internats event?

If it is changed , the NAME INTERNATS SHOWED NOT BE ATTACHED TO A NEW FORMAT. It would take away from the significance and accomplishment of those that did win a US-1.

Hope to see some good answers and input. Thanks

BTW, I don't think it is a time issue. Seems like we are driving further and spending at least 5-7 days for the major heat racing events.

At least with the Internats we got home on Sunday. Now we are lucky to get home in time for work on Monday

I have one of those autographed programs somewhere here . It was from the Slidell nats, I think 1989 for the 40th anniversary. I know it was signed by all the IMPBA officers and Directors. I need to find it

bob
Hey, I won E Hydro that year.
default_smile.png
Terry, wasn't that the race some yahoo swan across the lake and Terry Moore and others put him in the porta Jon till the police came? I think he was so doped up, they had to turn the Jon on its side. Being 14 at the time.....that was a sight.
Ha, Yes it was! That guy was REALLY messed up.

1995 Bartow Florida complete

c1.JPG

Just to summarize so far we have 185 US-1's accounted for with complete results for the following years

c1.JPG

Terry,

Yes they gave out US-1 Plaques... that was the Simpson's first Nats. The local nut who did not like boats was a nice touch. That was first my time in La. I found out fast that I could not live there. Bars are open 24/7,they give you courtesy cups when you leave,drive thru's,etc. The bars close for one hr so they can mop the floor.

The local people are the best,know how to eat,drink,share the love of boats.

Why is there a desire to change the established Internats format?

Is it because, just a desire to change?

Is it because it is felt that those that came up with the Internats format did not know what they were doing?

Is it just a disdain against past accomplishments and "WE NEED TO DO SOMETHING DIFFERENT ?"

Is it a lack of understanding about the Internats format since most NOT ALL who are wanting to change the Internats have never participate in an Internats event?

If it is changed , the NAME INTERNATS SHOWED NOT BE ATTACHED TO A NEW FORMAT. It would take away from the significance and accomplishment of those that did win a US-1.

Hope to see some good answers and input. Thanks

BTW, I don't think it is a time issue. Seems like we are driving further and spending at least 5-7 days for the major heat racing events.

At least with the Internats we got home on Sunday. Now we are lucky to get home in time for work on Monday
Doc,

I was looking for some history on this from people because when I asked about this a few months ago, I was told by the board that there never was a heat racing only US-1 nats. I knew there was but did not have any data to support. No fault of the current board, because past records were never kept accurately and none of the people on the board were around at that time. I am pretty sure that the alternate format was wrote into the by-laws, but if it was there is no record of it.

I am not promoting any type of format for the internats. If anybody wants to put on the full US-1 style nats for 2017, please send me an e-mail and we can get the ball rolling for this event.

As far as why make any changes, the answer for me is to increase participation. It is very obvious to me, based on the participation over the last 10 years of the nitro nats that some changes or alternate options need to be made available for US-1. The number 1 goal for me is to increase participation and make the nationals the premier event it used to be, regardless of format. I think providing different options for the US-1 will do this. Any of these options will need to be unique, like the format in 1989, in order to qualify for US-1 or it will be just another heat race. Based on location and the group putting the race on will probably determine the type of nationals that they would like to put on.

Of course, any changes to the US-1 format will have to be written up in a proposal, submitted the IMPBA board for approval and voted on by the membership. The boating community will determine what they would like to do. Keep promoting what you would like and see if you can find a group to do it. That is really the first thing that has to happen. You can have as many formats as you want, but if you do not have a group to put it on, you get nothing.

This topic really needs to be it's own thread. Sorry to disrupt this one Tony.

You have a lot of years covered. I didn't see 1987 so I will give you my 1987 US-1 F-Mono Huntsville. Twin Craft twin 80 mono. 56 inches long. Everyone was teasing me and calling it a bathtub boat because it was so big. I did break the oval record shortly there after with the bathtub boat. Today 56 inches is not all that big in the gas classes.

John Finch

You have a lot of years covered. I didn't see 1987 so I will give you my 1987 US-1 F-Mono Huntsville. Twin Craft twin 80 mono. 56 inches long. Everyone was teasing me and calling it a bathtub boat because it was so big. I did break the oval record shortly there after with the bathtub boat. Today 56 inches is not all that big in the gas classes.

John Finch
I remember that boat John! Great running boat! I remember you winning a lot of races with that boat. Guys should build more twin monos!
default_smile.png

I think Cliff Rose won US-1 in F Hydro at the 1987 Huntsville Internats. The boat was the first Twin 67 Mongoose that I had built. Twin Picco 67 for power.

Or maybe it was the Twin Event that Cliff won. It was known as the Top Gun race at that time.

Trying hard to remember, think I inhaled some saw dust that went straight to my brain, first US-1 I remember was years ago in Michigan, Bob shanoue and I were racing the last heat in 40 mono for US-1, he spun the shaft and died and I took Us-1, running a ward craft, fun boat to drive, top was blue and white bottom, running a Super Tiger X -40, 8 1/2 inch pipe and X-450 3 blade, boat was always fast and fun to drive, won the 40 straight away time trials @ 67 MPH at the 2000 Milan Illinois Internats, great fun, 2 men from the area drove tractors every day with flat beds, carried all the boats and who ever wanted to ride from the camping/tent areas, had hot meals every day, middle afternoon they served every one what we called soda pop with ice cream floating in the glass, had rootbeer, strawberry, orange, cream soda, we also had social hour one evening, where 3 racing contestants came up on stage and performed my famous opera on the rocks, they did so well that they were asked to repeat there performance with the music turned up to "double speed", what a laugh!!!!!!!

We finished the evening with Simone says, where this well know pilot/boater, was going to win the game no mater what, he decided to go into slow motion, what a sad face when I set him down, I doubt if he remembers it, i think maybe the Pas brothers might remember some other US-1 I have won.

The year where they held the Internats, with out ovals and straightaways, the first time was because the club did not want to hold a 9 day event, and there wasn't any other club that voluntered.

JM2CW

Moby

Back