IMPBA and NAMBA

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KenBeller

I have recently moved from Michigan to NYC region. I was a member of IMPBA in Michigan which was the predominent memebship in the area but in New York NAMBA is much more popular orgainzation that I now have joined. The rules vary between the two organizations and I have not spent the time to compare the pros and cons of each but since I am intersted to attending a lot of east coast races this summer I will be joining both organizations to maximize my racing opportunities. I have been on IW for a few months and have not read a single thing about this major division of the sport.

Since I hope all of us do this as a fun hobby, that creates oppotunities for great competition and is not too expensive would it not make sense to combine NAMBA and IMPBA? If this is too controvershal or perhaps costly, perhaps we could hold a IMPBA/NAMBA Challange where the best of each organization meet to see who wins the super bowl of classes, the super champion. What do you guys think?

I'd love a Mason Dixon Challenge between NAMBA1 and IMPBA12. Both districts are very active but there are allot of differences to be worked out. Most Namba1 races are 1 day events and IMPBA12 runs weekend long events. There are also differences in rules between the gas and FE classes.

I'm planning on attending heading up to NAMBA1 at least once this year to check out the action.

Last edited by a moderator:
I figured that we would have to cooperate on the rules, but less face it. At one of our NAMBA District 1 Races we did not have enough Scale boats to make a class, so I entered a boat in the event that had not yet been started. I did it for obvious reasons and was not able to complete a single lap but the heat was legal. Nitro classes which I run are way down compared to years ago, don't we want more boats, more competition, more opportunity. How does separating the sport into two entities accomplish that?

i'm with mike, a MASON-DIXON CHALLENGE race is needed B) !! since namba d-1 & impba d-12 are side by side, a location convienent to both districts shouldn't be too hard to come up with. mike & i are trying to plan a trip up there this season. ken aren't some of the NY guys around the finger lakes/rochester area impba?

i'm with mike, a MASON-DIXON CHALLENGE race is needed B) !! since namba d-1 & impba d-12 are side by side, a location convienent to both diwstricts shouldn't be too hard to come up with. mike & i are trying to plan a trip up there this season. ken aren't some of the NY guys around the finger lakes/rochester area impba?
Yes, we have IMPBA in Elmira, Rochester, and Buffalo, NY. We also extend up into Ontario Canada.

Ken first let me say welcome to the area, don't know if your upstate or downstate but in NYC we have some very competitive racers and races for the most part are well attended.There are also races in NJ and PA. check it out at www.namba-1.com. having gone down to impba d 12 and raced on a few occasions, the first thing i saw as a difference was the engine classification and the open mill vs full mill(impba due to the clock in the middle of the pond) your timing for each will take some work but it can be done. one big difference a LSG 27 motor is not legal in namba G-1 biggest class down here is the G-1 sport hydro...lots of fast boats mono's and cats (all gas). nitro scale has a sure three(sky-hydro club) every race, sport 40 has dropped a bit but should see some improvement this season. Come race with us although it's one day you will have a Blast, first race of the season is in May 6. all our ponds are on the google places where is my pond site

Leighton, Do you all allow G-2 motors in offshore and if so do you guys follow the offshore appearance rules tightly?

last year we ran CX/G1 mono and rigger which would allow your bigger cc motors and your LSG 27/ & stroked motors. we also ran open cat that would allow those motors too. it's just G1 sport hydro that you cant run right now.....we have to wait and see what changes our winter meeting brings.

i'm with mike, a MASON-DIXON CHALLENGE race is needed B) !! since namba d-1 & impba d-12 are side by side, a location convienent to both diwstricts shouldn't be too hard to come up with. mike & i are trying to plan a trip up there this season. ken aren't some of the NY guys around the finger lakes/rochester area impba?
I'm with you guys on this. I met Doug twaits jr. last season at the Gas Clash with Delmarva club and he seemed very interested in the D. 12 gang coming up there to run and he was also interested in running down here with us at some district races...good stuff I think!

I have alrerady been taking a hard look at Elmira as there are several races up there. mSince I am new to east coast i plan to move around to a lot of different areas and check it all out. You see me with a 17 foot black trailer full of riggers. And you right about the clock vs announed timing, coming from IMPBA I am used to the closk but I find the count down better since you do not have to take your eyes off your boat.

The differences between IMPBA and NAMBA have been discussed for more than 30 years. There are nice people in both organizations. I have many friends in both organizations, so while I live in a NAMBA area, I do try to get to some IMPBA events as well.

It is all about the people, having a good time with your boats, and spending time with friends. There are many good reasons to race in both organizations. You may prefer one organization over the other, but racing is racing.

Al Hobbs

dist 11 is also in your area, first dist race is in ct at mansfield hollow state park near the uconn campus. the gas class is pretty strong and the nitro is usually a-mono and outboard tunnel and we run open class if you have something they dont have enough entrys for. also the nationals are in new hampshire this year and the last one they had(2005) was a good turnout. i have been racing namba since 1999 and overall a good bunch of guys. hope to see you at a some of the events. john virgalla

Back