Hydrometer

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eric Gadoury

I was wondering if there is anybody using a hydrometer to check the nitro when you buy it?

If so what brand of hydrometer are you using and where did you buy it?

I'm looking for one that can measure 0 to 100% nitromethane.

If someone has a good used one they want to get rid of, please let me know.

Thanks for the help!!!

Eric

I was wondering if there is anybody using a hydrometer to check the nitro when you buy it?
If so what brand of hydrometer are you using and where did you buy it?

I'm looking for one that can measure 0 to 100% nitromethane.

If someone has a good used one they want to get rid of, please let me know.

Thanks for the help!!!

Eric
Kinsler Fuel Injection has the nitro hydrometers.

Since they are measuring specific gravity I don't think they have a hydrometer that will measure 0-100% with any type of satisfactory resolution.

It will probably take [2] hydrometers to do it........probably 0-50% & 50-100%.

Remember,the caveat you have to throw in here is we also have oil in our fuel and that is going to make the hydrometer lie on nitro percentage.

Eric;

Are you testing your nitro percentage during the mixing process? OR are you trying to measure already mixed fuel? Like Rod says, the oil will throw you an inaccurate reading, (higher than what it really is). If you have oil in it.

Norm Doerr

I want to check my nitro before mixing.

Here in Canada we cannot buy pure nitro legally anymore thanks to the terrorist ass.....les that blow up stuff with it. :angry: :angry: :angry:

I have to buy a 50% mix that is half nitro and half methanol.

That's what I want to check because I just got a bad drum of mix.

Thanks again !!!!

Eric

McMaster Carr sells hydrometers. Get yourself a chart listing specific gravity of nitro and a hydrometer that fits the proper range and you should be good. OR go to an online race shop and get one made just for measuring nitro. You will need a cylender to put the sample in.

Norm Doerr

I always check mine when I buy nitro, go to a lab supply and get one that measures in the 1.13 range for 100%, I'm sure you can find out on line what 50-50 should be.

How ya gonna make fuel with that though? :(

Back