Hull Drain Hole Location for HTB290

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It replaces that part that captures the top of the hinge pin? It would do the job alright, I had been thinking aboutthat same area, much like "tiller arm" that fastens to the pin just below that part your talking about.

With the Octura mount like I use you would have room for a double arm tiller, just have to secure it well.

The market is,, well the TT market, not all that big but it's a great idea.
Hi Jerry,

I've also been thinking along the same lines regarding the TT steering arms. I felt they are too thin and bend too easily. Also the line between the two mounting points for the cable ball-links, should run directly over the top of the pivot pin.

Anyway, here's a few photos of my first attempt at a bracket that eliminates the standard arms and also results in no adjustment to the cable length being necessary when adjusting the height or angle of the engine.

I also attach a simple drawing I made of a one-piece replacement for the top ‘bracket’ that fits over the top of the pivot pin, and to which a flat aluminum plate of personal choice could be attached. I’m going to ask a friend who runs a small precision engineering shop, to make me a few.

Seems that Tim ‘s mind and mine have been thinking of the same idea.

By the way, I’m waiting for a break in the weather to go and run the TT in. It hasn’t been started yet!

Cheers,

Wennie.
Sorry , I forgot the drawing. Here it is.

It replaces that part that captures the top of the hinge pin? It would do the job alright, I had been thinking aboutthat same area, much like "tiller arm" that fastens to the pin just below that part your talking about.
That is correct. Unlike a tiller arm though, this will not be reliant on a screw or a keyed surface to lock onto the pin.

The design would essentially do the same as what Wennie has posted.

Now if only someone could come up with a way to put thicker flex cables into them!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a machinist friend that could certainly build the prototype, he use to work for a company that made parts

for satallites and other precision equipment. Bob is a unique man, he would probably make that part in one day,

call you back over there (45mi) the next,, and just hand it to ya with a smile on his face and say, "what, is that

all?"

Also, I was going to have KingHeadz turn out some buttons a while back but I didn't generate enough volume

of parts by just doing a few TT buttons. He wanted the actual part to do his work,, Man, I sure got a button for

him this time for the TT. Jim works with RC car and buggy racing champions and makes airheads and aftermarket

hop-up parts for various makes & models.

Jim at KingHeadz is going to want to make more units of the steering part than what I can fund. The TT market

being "what it is" doesn't give one much confidence to push the button on a project like this. I'm not sure how hard

Jim would look at this,, but ya don't know unless you ask :)

dub

That is correct. Unlike a tiller arm though, this will not be reliant on a screw or a keyed surface to lock onto the pin.

The design would essentially do the same as what Wennie has posted, but would be a 1 piece billet item for strength.

Now if only someone could come up with a way to put thicker flex cables into them!!!!

i understand tim,, although me and jerry would have to drill a hole in the top hinge pin cup to key the pin to the assembly.. the octura mounts j-dubs makes has to turn the pin in the teflon liner so the aluminum parts dont get all wholered out...

awsome idea's here,, but like jerry said,, the tt really isnt sought after,,specialy after the whole lack of parts thing...

i sure would be interested in a steering upgrade.. never really chased it down,,to busy tryin to find that sweet set up.. ;)

htb+tt = awsome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

i understand tim,, although me and jerry would have to drill a hole in the top hinge pin cup to key the pin to the assembly.. the octura mounts j-dubs makes has to turn the pin in the teflon liner so the aluminum parts dont get all wholered out...
I was running the same mount as you also, so I know what you are talking about. I don't think it would need to be pinned. If the aluminium part is anodised it would be fine against the steel pivot pin.

I thought about the part today and I not to sure my machinist friend (Bob) would want to machine"in"the arms too.

He would likely want to make the boss that captures the hinge pin, much like the stock part and make it a little

more robust so screws could hold down a seperate cross arm,, much like the XM steering arm.

It can be done the way your wanting, you could machine it like extruded aluminum looks (kind of a "T" shape)

so theres several layers of parts in one block. The block could be bored for all the holes while the part(s) are still

in the block and then slit saw the parts off.

Gee, I see Wennie already has it cypherd out,, Way To Go Wennie! Now Thats Robust,,, they ain't got that kinda power Wennie :lol:

It seems to me that it would take greater servo power to turn the thing at the hinge pin than farther back

wouldn't it?

It seems to me that it would take greater servo power to turn the thing at the hinge pin than farther backwouldn't it?
I think it would require more effort pushing the original TT ones. Less linear in the pull - pull arangement.

For reference's sake - the OS steering arm and the Lawless Bushwacker arms are in line with the pin, and work fine.

Back to my original drawing - I didn't take ease of manufacture into account, and after looking at Wennies drawing I think he has a better approach in that regard. What I would do however, would be to shift the "wing parts" for want of a better description so that is could use a bolt on steering arm that had the mounts all in line with the pivot pin. I hope that makes sense. If not I did a drawing.

'Tim_Duggan'

For reference's sake - the OS steering arm and the Lawless Bushwacker arms are in line with the pin, and work fine.

ah hell thats right,, thought I had sumthin' there,, :blink: thought I had ya by ur snardlies :eek:

'Tim_Duggan' For reference's sake - the OS steering arm and the Lawless Bushwacker arms are in line with the pin, and work fine.
ah hell thats right,, thought I had sumthin' there,, :blink:

Well in that case id take two.. Let us know when you decide to turn that drawing into aluminum..

Jerry you seen cormier? I asked him about some parts but he never got back to me.. Guess im gonna have to light a fire under his you know what.

And heres the arm sitting on top of the part in the earlier drawing.

And heres the arm sitting on top of the part in the earlier drawing.

Its a beautiful thing. Wouldnt mind seein a piece of billet sittin on the old tt. Nice big arm too, nough there to mount a throttle cable!

Saaweet!!

Tell cormier he needs a bunch to stock..more incentive to put it into production.lol.

It seems to me that it would take greater servo power to turn the thing at the hinge pin than farther backwouldn't it?
I think it would require more effort pushing the original TT ones. Less linear in the pull - pull arangement.

Back to my original drawing - I didn't take ease of manufacture into account, and after looking at Wennies drawing I think he has a better approach in that regard. What I would do however, would be to shift the "wing parts" for want of a better description so that is could use a bolt on steering arm that had the mounts all in line with the pivot pin. I hope that makes sense. If not I did a drawing.
just missing the section that extends back for the tilt adjustment bolt,, I made some TT parts out of acetal once, no

steering deal though. I went over the top of hinge pin with the thru adjustment bolt on this one.

OK - here it is. If anyone want's to get them made - go for it. I'm not using the TT's at the moment so don't have a need

It's gunna wipe the smile right off Bob's face when he see's all those metric dimensions :lol:

Thanks for the effort Tim!

For Alden and whoever else, built a TT O/B thats a little more condusive to 30% nitro. Everything went so well that I'meven stunned :eek: . Got some detailed info from TimD on the boat/motor set-up an balance that was right on. Engine has

some serious force on 30%, that was a pleasant surprise. I'd drive this boat any day over the lynx I have, It's very good.

Here ya go Alden
Looks sharp rigged out.

Rusty

Latest posts

Back