How to do these mods to an OPS .67

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jim Walters

I found this post from a couple of years ago.

Raced .67 OPS's for a few years @ 7 years ago. In stock form they are good engines, Not great ~ only good.

Put in an RPM or titan rod and better bearings to start with, A billet front housing is a BIG +.

The Aeromarine drum rotor is GREAT, add an @ .454 to .470 aeromarine or RPM carb and your getting real close to a Great engine.

Set Ex duration at @ 176 to 178, Set Intake on drum to open at @ 32 Degrees ABDC and close at @ 68 to 70 degrees ATDC , leave transfers alone and open up case to allow greater flow up transfer runners and a OPS .67 will haul ass !! Most of the time pipe was kept at @ 11 1/4" plug to weld using a international pipe or Mac marine stingered down a tad.

Fuel No hotter than 35% !!!

Keep head squish at @ .015 to .018 and open up bowl volume a little at a time if it's eating plugs. ~ plugs used ~ Mccoy Mc-9's

This was my set up for many years and set district fast times for 3 years in a row and a National record too.

Yes to keep an OPS together you need some trick parts or as the name implys ~~ OUPS ~ another PISTON & SLEEVE. blink.gif AKA: OPS

Good luck. Scott

The question is

How do you set the intake and exaust numbers like this? Where might I obtain the parts mentioned? Any info would be helpfull.

thanks

Jim

Hey Jim....To change the timing you will need a degree wheel(breaks down the rotation of the crank shaft into 360 degrees) and a dremel tool. You set the crank shaft in the positions mentioned and mark either the sleeve(exhaust) or the intake rotor(intake) accordingly. Then you remove the metal with the dremel tool. Sounds pretty simple but if you are inexperienced with a dremel tool there is a chance that you could ruin your engine. Better left up to the professionals of which there are a bunch on this forum. Good luck and God bless!

:p Hey ... I resemble that post :p

The OPS engines now come with the drum rotor back door. But the aeromarine billet fronts are NLA :angry:

The RPM or Keeley Titan TI rods too.. NLA

Within the realm of racing and after market parts support, OPS engines have been mostly forgotten :(

Still have 3 trick ones and a gaggle of parts, If interested in a package deal ? contact me.

at: [email protected]

Last edited by a moderator:
Back