Help identify this rigger..

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

misshydro

Joe,good friend just gave him this rigger tonight! His friend think it might be a crabshooter? Said you can run .67-.90 in it.Plus told Joe to widen the boom tubes/widen the stance of the sponcons...Does anyone knows what rigger this is?

201104282257511 (Small).JPG

201104282258421 (Small).JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, that is a Crapshooter that I probably built when I owned Precision Boat Mfg company who built the Crapshooter. Late 70's early 80's.

I know someone on this website that will give Top Dollar for that hull - if you ever decide to sell it.

Yes, that is a Crapshooter that I probably built when I owned Precision Boat Mfg company who built the Crapshooter. Late 70's early 80's.
Thanks guys...As from the looks of it,It never seen action..Looks like the motor was bolded up but thats it from the looks of it. old drive line too. looks like it was setup for soild shaft with U joint for adjuable strut setup?

A friend of mine runs an old Crapshooter like that with period correct CMB 80 in it. Very cool.boat.

A friend of mine runs an old Crapshooter like that with period correct CMB 80 in it. Very cool.boat.
Ok I wanted to ask you rigger guys this then...Joe friend did some caluations on this rigger. Said for today standers the sponsons should be moved out inside sponson to inside sponson 21" Joe would like to update it with that and add flex drive to it.. Or should he leaves it alone.. Was also told these rigger the way they are slides to much around the corners.

Wow a blast from the past, that boat sure looks familiar... I thought for a minute I may know it.. but the boom screws are not the same and there is no water exit out the side of the tub.. (or is there?)

We had a 60 boat that was built, painted and never made it to the water and it looked exactly like that. It was on display in the window of a hobby shop in Port Huron Michigan waiting for the water to get soft. and it disappeared one night. LOL.. Quite the journey if it is the same boat. :D

One of the best raceboats available ......at the time. There are a bunch of them out there, but not many on the water anymore. It would make a great piece for a collector.

I am not sure I would spend much time trying to make it modern. I converted one back in the 90s and it was a fun boat, but not very competative against the outriggers of today.

Very cool boat. :)

Wow a blast from the past, that boat sure looks familiar... I thought for a minute I may know it.. but the boom screws are not the same and there is no water exit out the side of the tub.. (or is there?)

We had a 60 boat that was built, painted and never made it to the water and it looked exactly like that. It was on display in the window of a hobby shop in Port Huron Michigan waiting for the water to get soft. and it disappeared one night. LOL.. Quite the journey if it is the same boat. :D

One of the best raceboats available ......at the time. There are a bunch of them out there, but not many on the water anymore. It would make a great piece for a collector.

I am not sure I would spend much time trying to make it modern. I converted one back in the 90s and it was a fun boat, but not very competative against the outriggers of today.

4 water water exits holes out the bottom in the engine compartment.

Ok I wanted to ask you rigger guys this then...Joe friend did some caluations on this rigger. Said for today standers the sponsons should be moved out inside sponson to inside sponson 21" Joe would like to update it with that and add flex drive to it.. Or should he leaves it alone.. Was also told these rigger the way they are slides to much around the corners.
Mount a modern turnfin behind the sponson. Run a cupped 1400 series prop. Drop in a good engine and you'll be surprised at how well that boat will run.

Won't run 17 second ovals, but back in the earily 80's those Crapsooters held the IMPBA E and F oval records in the 22 sec range. With new power and a good turnfin

I can see that boat running 20 sec. pairs.

I had the .40 sized boat with a Picco .65 and the Rearward mounted and hooked turnfin in 1983. It was wicked fast for the day. Quick through the corners. Stayed on the bouys and was stable.

The front sponsons have too much chine on them to run the wider footprint that was suggested. You might pull each sponson out an inch or so, but a 21" spread will be way too much and would cause blow off problems.

The straight shaftlog should end at the transom. Don't change it at all. Run the solid shaft. I used ballbearings. You'll have to check the size of the tube to determine what bearings to use. Some guys ran needles. For needles you'll need a hardened shaft. The prop runs right at the transom. No strut needed.

Maybe you could post a close up pic of the bottom?

It would be a shame to mess with that boat. Put the boat up for sale for some on that wants and old rigger for there collection. Then buy a new boat that will be competitive.

It will be harder as time gose on to find a boat like that.

David

Its a shame to leave it sit too..like a old street rod..do you leave it in the garage or drive it....?just like the old thunderboat..leave it stitting on display or drive it?...how much are these riggers worth?..after inspecting it...never been in water beause it still has tape on the shaft ends..been done long ago because its cracking and some chips ..bet old lacqure is in it..plus why they made it so thick on the tub?..look to be 3/4 sides...1/4 at thansom and tub bottom...isn't that a overkill on the wood thickness?..,andy I would love to have one of your eagles ..that the best looking rigger I like..just can't aford it for wright now...missed out twise getting a used eagle.21..ill post more pics of it tonight..joe unbolt the sponsons and moved it 3 incs out and man it looks great...if we deside to keep it..would restore it and put a awsom paint job on it..might not race it.would run it as a fun run at the pond...what engine size should we get for it?

67 or 80 engine would be best. 1467 prop with some cup. Does that one have the flat bottom ski? or is it round bottom?

Most of us boat builder were laminating ply over balsa on the tub sides in those days. Because we used hard engine mounts we did not want hull flex. That's why the think sides.

Bottom should be 1/16" ply but may have doublers in some areas.

67 or 80 engine would be best. 1467 prop with some cup. Does that one have the flat bottom ski? or is it round bottom?

Most of us boat builder were laminating ply over balsa on the tub sides in those days. Because we used hard engine mounts we did not want hull flex. That's why the think sides.

Bottom should be 1/16" ply but may have doublers in some areas.
Just got home..Took pixs with my cell phone..

201104301346341 (Small).JPG

201104301346401 (Small).JPG

201104301752021 (Small).JPG

201104301752091 (Small).JPG

i had a 21 style of the same boat . was "miss consistant."

i gave it to my ex son in law who gave it to his brother. i am trying to get it back for my grandson. he would have a hoot with it. it had an old k&b front carb , later switched to k&b gold head . ran so smooothe on the water. slid out on the corners.

was black body and orange sponsons and cowl. sponsons had 2 3/8" ride strips on them and hard shaft with ball bearings, delrin solid mount.

4 water water exits holes out the bottom in the engine compartment.
We only put one in the bottom to drain water, then a fitting or brass tube out the side for engine cooling exit.

That does bring back memories. I had one of those with an Ackerman prepared OPS 67 on board with Pearl white paint, with blue and orange stripes. Wish i still owned it!

Back