Harbor Freight Metal Lathe

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sean Bowf

I know Harbor Freight tools are hit and miss...mainly miss. But I know some guys swear by some of their tools (HVLP spray guns, nail guns, etc). Does anyone have any experience with their mini metal lathe?? I found an opportunity to pick one up a little bit on the cheap, and was wondering if it is worth it or not. This is the one I am looking at. From what I gather, I will be able to pick it up for about $335.

TIA for your input,

Sean

Last edited by a moderator:
I know Harbor Freight tools are hit and miss...mainly miss. But I know some guys swear by some of their tools (HVLP spray guns, nail guns, etc). Does anyone have any experience with their mini metal lathe?? I found an opportunity to pick one up a little bit on the cheap, and was wondering if it is worth it or not. This is the one I am looking at. From what I gather, I will be able to pick it up for about $335.

TIA for your input,

Sean
89 Lbs.-I think I have more steel than that in my lungs
laugh.gif

Glenn

TIA for your input,

Sean
laugh.gif

Glenn
Heck , I have an Enco 9 " lathe that is crude compared to some of the stuff I have had the pleasure to use , but it will do most everything I need . I would take the chance on it for sure .

TIA for your input,

Sean
laugh.gif

Glenn
Heck , I have an Enco 9 " lathe that is crude compared to some of the stuff I have had the pleasure to use , but it will do most everything I need . I would take the chance on it for sure .
Sean, Enco is another source you should check. Most of it is O.K. Another option is check auctions- may find something larger at a reasonable price.Glenn

I gotta say that if its the same mini lathe that i looked at in the HFT here in fla, it is the SORRIEST excuse for a lathe ive ever seen...im just being honest...you would be far better off looking at even Enco stuff than that garbage....we have an Enco Lathe where i work and though it is crude compared to the Jet lathe we have, it does turn true...you just have to adjust your numbers to the amount of slop thats in it even brand new, but it will do most simple operations satisfactorily. It really pays to look around for older American made stuff..im talkin 50s And 60s stuff. You can usually find a good deal and its WAY better made than the Chinese garbage thats out there today....

I gotta say that if its the same mini lathe that i looked at in the HFT here in fla, it is the SORRIEST excuse for a lathe ive ever seen...im just being honest...you would be far better off looking at even Enco stuff than that garbage....we have an Enco Lathe where i work and though it is crude compared to the Jet lathe we have, it does turn true...you just have to adjust your numbers to the amount of slop thats in it even brand new, but it will do most simple operations satisfactorily. It really pays to look around for older American made stuff..im talkin 50s And 60s stuff. You can usually find a good deal and its WAY better made than the Chinese garbage thats out there today....

If you can find a 1960's South Bend 10K or what some refer to as the Heavy 10 it would do all your hobby chores and then some. Only takes up about 4 ft. of floor space.

Glenn

I spent a couple days looking through Craigslist for a lathe...I live in podunk, so I was looking mainly in the OK City area (2 hours away) with no luck. The only guy I know of that picked up a lathe used, bought one from someone he knew (trying to say I don't know of anyone that has ever found a used metal lathe). In short, I guess I am tired of looking for used, and afraid I might be getting someone elses headache.

Thanks for the heads up David (Dwilfong). They do look like the same machines...that said, with all the folks recommending Enco as a place to look, sounds like the HF lathe is going to wind up in my house...

Sean

TIA for your input,

Sean
Sean, Go for the HFT lathe you will not be out much. I have thought about getting one to put in my basement shop at home. would recommend the 7X12 though.

Sean, Go for the HFT lathe you will not be out much. I have thought about getting one to put in my basement shop at home. would recommend the 7X12 though.
Why 7 x 12?? Right now, I just see myself making some head buttons. Not sure what else it is used for in this hobby... One of the reasons I am migrating toward teh 7 x 10 is because they have it in my local store...and I don't know why I would need the extra 2 inches in length.

Looks like Grizzly is selling at least one of this line of lathes too. They have a 7 x 12 that looks like the HF/Enco lathe.

Sean

although most of the chinese tool look alike they aren't.many of them use metric lead screws with english dials, which doesn't work out very well. i have a grizzley, and it is much higher quality than jet and most of the rest.

although most of the chinese tool look alike they aren't.many of them use metric lead screws with english dials, which doesn't work out very well. i have a grizzley, and it is much higher quality than jet and most of the rest.
Yep! Sean, you may also want to find out what accessories are available that will fit the machine....collets, tool posts, etc. some of the cheaper machines use non standard sizes of tooling and components and it can be difficult to get "things" for your lathe that are easily available for other lathes..and believe me, once you start playing with it, you will want to make more than just head buttons! ;) Just do a little research before you decide... :) Steve, we had an old Jet at work, 1960s era, than bought a new one...what a shame! The old Jet lathe was 10 times better than our new one..smoother, more accurate...dont know what were doin anymore....this country made alot of good stuff back in the day.....when it was made HERE! :(

If you need tooling go here thy have every thing you will ever need for any machine.

http://www1.mscdirect.com/cgi/nnsrhm

The dials realy don't mater. I never made a move with a dial on the machine. Always used a dial indicator to make a move.

Learned on a Lodge & Shipley cir 1912 belt drive. had a 3speed car trans hooked to a elec motor running the belt. You want to talk about head bearing slop and worn out ways.

Had to braze old insert to tool steel to make my own tooling. cheap a@@ owner or as we use to say he was very Dutch.

David

Why 7 x 12?? Right now, I just see myself making some head buttons. Not sure what else it is used for in this hobby... One of the reasons I am migrating toward teh 7 x 10 is because they have it in my local store...and I don't know why I would need the extra 2 inches in length.

Looks like Grizzly is selling at least one of this line of lathes too. They have a 7 x 12 that looks like the HF/Enco lathe.

Sean
Sean, the 10" will get real short once you put a drill chuck in the tailstock and a drill bit in the drill chuck. thats all.

Keep a eye on ebay seen some killer deals there.Seen some older Craftsman,south bends and Clausing go for that kind of money.

You might consider the HF multi purpose machine, There around 500 last time I checked so its just a bit more to have a small mill/ drill /lathe. I got one and I use it to make all my hardware, from tiny fast electric to large gas boat stuff and I like it. You get what you pay for at HF but this has not been a bad machine at all, I have made lots and lots of parts since I got it in 1999, The only things I have done are a switch repair and I had to relube everything with a quality grease, and I replaced the mill belt after two years. Not bad for how many hours I have on the machine.I find I use the mill as much or more than the lathe. It has no power feed but I found that ok. I also wish the drill would go a bit slower for drilling but I have a seperate drill press so thats ok.

I saw that unit. It was $599 for the regular price. I thought about it for awhile, but I have a pretty bad back...and the website says that unit weighs close to 500 pounds. I would never be able to move it...so was thinking of getting a separate mill later.

Sean

Latest posts

Back