Harbor Freight Metal Lathe

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have to agree with a few things already said:

1) All Asian made equipment is not the same. As a general rule, the stuff made in Taiwan is better than what's made in China

2) Some Asian stuff requires significant reworking before it's anywhere close to accurate BEFORE being used the first time

3) Tool tapers vary from manufacturer to manufacturer, so if you want to up grade later, be sure the tooling you buy is compatible to both machines. My Sherline mill and lathe use 0 and 1 tapers and is the only one I know of to use a 0 taper. For me to buy another mill or lathe, I would have to look at all new tooling as well

4) You will find that a small mill and/or lathe will be quickly outgrown. My 3X8 Sherline lathe is good for small stuff like head buttons and cutting threads in stub shafts, but for anything bigger, unless I add the available riser blocks and get the 17" bed, forget it

5) The "You get what you pay for" comment is very true. Spend the additional on a Taig or look at the Sherline mini stuff. I would stay away from HF and, to a fair extent, Grizly.

If you're a beginner with the lathe and mill like I am, see if you can find a machinist to help you learn how to do set ups and some of the tricks to running the equipment. Since I only play around with aluminum, I can get away with rough cuts of up to .015" at best. This is due to the speed limitations of my equipment and lack of power. If you're set on a mini lathe and mill, you will want to look at HP ratings. Since I have older Sherlines, I have a max HP rating of 1/10th HP. It will do the job, just don't expect any real record breaking speeds

Last edited by a moderator:
I had one of HFT's lathes back in highschool. It was the mini lathe with the drill press attached to it. It worked great intell the small moter went out. I replaced it and it worked wounderfuly. I used it for metal and wood. Great tool for the price if you plan to only do small hobby parts. My dad used it to make some parts for his custom cars and race car.

Scott beat me to it. that is the one I had.

It is heavy but two people can lift it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Biggest problem with that machine is the project size limits. It will turn a bigger diameter than my Sherline lathe, but is less capable than my Sherline mill, just at considerably more weight. If it works for you, all's good ;)

I have not measured it, but I just read online that the 7x10 is actually 7x8...so the 7x12 is actually 4 inches longer. Live and learn I guess... Truthfully, I was thinking of taking the tail stock off for now. I don't think I will use it for anything but drilling, and it seems to get in the way of turning the wheel that moves the tool post closer to the chuck.

Sean

I have not measured it, but I just read online that the 7x10 is actually 7x8...so the 7x12 is actually 4 inches longer. Live and learn I guess... Truthfully, I was thinking of taking the tail stock off for now. I don't think I will use it for anything but drilling, and it seems to get in the way of turning the wheel that moves the tool post closer to the chuck.

Sean
Sean, I was looking for a lathe and mill recently and did alot of looking,the HF machines are really cheesey , I personally wouldn't get one. I went to a Grizzly store and looked at all the machines and these are the ones I came home with.

http://www.grizzly.com/products/10-x-22-Bench-Top-Metal-Lathe/G0602

http://www.grizzly.com/products/Mill-Drill-Milling-Machine-25/G1005Z

I stayed away from the combination machines because if you have a setup in either(mill or lathe) you don't want to disturb you would have to break it down to use the other feature(mill or lathe).I have found that both these machines are very accurate and the mill is very stout for its size.You will find that a 7x12 gets small real fast. Just my two cents.

Jim

Not too bad, though I hope you picked up a live center for the lathe as well. Have you used them yet, and if so, how accurate are they?

Not too bad, though I hope you picked up a live center for the lathe as well. Have you used them yet, and if so, how accurate are they?
HJ, Yes I have used them and they are very accurate. I have a live center and an Aloris quick change tool post. I have not tried threading with it yet but I can't see why it wouldn't work good as well.I have retrofitted the Mill with a digital linear scale in X and a pair of cheap digital calipers for the Y .I will also put one on the quill so I have all three axis's with digital readouts.Travel indicators work fine on the lathe but I may go digital there as well.These machines are not what I have been used to for the last 25 years but they work just fine for my home shop.

Jim

Back