G/F Buy's me new boat for X-Mas!!!!! Help needed

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

idropurbox

Good Morning guy's, my g/f bought me a new boat from a hobby shop for Christmas. It is a Maus Hull with an OPS .45 in it. Who ever built it did a very nice job and aesthetically it is absolutely awesome. I will post some pictures later this week. As I understand it, MAUS Motorsports is no more but the hull is still available through Hyperformance as the SX45 Sport Hydro. I had it out at the lake yesterday and was trying to get a needle on it. I started out leaving everything exactly the way it came out of the hobby shop even though the guy told my g/f that the boat and motor were brand new and had never seen water before, I found this hard to believe and pulled the motor to check for any abnormalities anyways. I am not real familiar with this particular motor and to me with an ABC motor when turning it over by hand with the plug out, should have had a bit tighter squeeze near TDC. With the plug in it seemed to have plenty of compression. I could tell that the motor had some run time, but again had no idea if it had been broken in or not so I dropped it back in the boat and started with the needle exactly where it was when I got the the boat which was 3 1/2 turns out, filled her up with some Power Master 50% and it lit right up albeit with plenty of white smoke! I let it warm up a bit ( about 100 deg F the water temp was about 40 deg F) and had my buddy toss it in. It was a super rich run with lots of burbble and smoke so I brought it in after a couple of laps and closed the needle about and 1/8th and tried again. Again super rich and another 1/8th turn in this continued for about 1 complete turn in and then it started dieing out about 20 -30 foot after launch, but to me it never got up on the pipe or got lean so I'm not sure why it started to stall out. The boat didn't go very fast on any of the runs which was alright because I'm sure that the motor wasn't tuned right yet but I'm wondering if anyone knows these motors well enough to recognize these symptoms and steer me in the right direction. Are these motors competitive? Oh yea one other thing, this boat has a HUGE turn fin and it is mounted perfectly square to the sponson, but I noticed that even though the boat wasn't really going that fast it was really lifting in the corners. I mean this thing looked like a drunk riding a tricyle! Lot's of air under the boat and very, very tippy. What might cause this? Does anyone know if the CMB .45 has the same mounting lug pattern as this motor? Some day I might like to go a little faster!

A number of questionsneed to be answered first.

What size prop are you using?

What is the strut depth?

What pipe are you using.

I run an OPS45 in an AC Boats ProII hull with good results. I am using the OPS 11cc tuned pipe and Prather add on muffler at 10 1/4". I run with either a Prather 235/2 blade or a X450/2 blade with the best results. The strut is set at 7/8" at the transom and 13/16" up front. OPS motors are very finiky on the needle. You can close the needle to where it still sounds rich but dies after launch. I run a couple clicks either side of 2 1/4 turns depending on the weather.

As for the boat lifting, that could be strut depth related. The turn fin size will vary depending on who you talk to. I had a large fin on the hull I bought and just kept cutting it down a little at a time until it ran good and still turned good.

Good luck with your new toy. You'll like it alot once you get it dialed in. If setup right, the OPS can compete with the CMB's and MAC's. It may not win any SAW records, but like has been said many times "You have to finish to win".

A number of questionsneed to be answered first.What size prop are you using?

What is the strut depth?

What pipe are you using.

I run an OPS45 in an AC Boats ProII hull with good results. I am using the OPS 11cc tuned pipe and Prather add on muffler at 10 1/4". I run with either a Prather 235/2 blade or a X450/2 blade with the best results. The strut is set at 7/8" at the transom and 13/16" up front. OPS motors are very finiky on the needle. You can close the needle to where it still sounds rich but dies after launch. I run a couple clicks either side of 2 1/4 turns depending on the weather.

As for the boat lifting, that could be strut depth related. The turn fin size will vary depending on who you talk to. I had a large fin on the hull I bought and just kept cutting it down a little at a time until it ran good and still turned good.

Good luck with your new toy. You'll like it alot once you get it dialed in. If setup right, the OPS can compete with the CMB's and MAC's. It may not win any SAW records, but like has been said many times "You have to finish to win".
Thanks for taking the time to reply. I will get the measurements when I get home. If you wouldn't mind helping me out my I can give you my email addy and phone or I can get yours and we can talk more that way. As for what pipe I'm running I couldn't tell you, but I can take a bunch of pictures and maybe if I post them somebody can help me figure it all out. That's the problem with buying a boat that's already put together, you never know what you have. I also have noticed that there seems to be a couple versions of the OPS .45. My friend has the one with the water cooled exhaust port and the carb that goes strait into the back of the rotor. Mine has no water cooler on the exhaust and my carb goes into the back plate on an angle. Is there a big difference between the two? He can't get his to run at all. No matter where he set's the needle he's never gotten more than a lap and a half out of it. He's been playing around with pipe length as well and I think he's at about 10 1/2" from the center of the plug to the weld. Do you have a lot of work done to your OPS's because of all the literature that I've been able to find (which isn't much at all, I can't even find a manual for one!) it appears that these motors only put out about 2.6 to 2.9 HP whereas the CMB's produce close to 5HP, it would seem that the OPS would have a hard time competing against something like that. I know you have to finish t win, but if you do get you boat to go the distance the extra HP would probably make a huge difference. Thanks again in advance for any and all help you can provide. Tom

I'll try and give you what help I can. My motor is the drum rotor style with the straight carb. It is the newer version. The water colling on the exhaust is an add on part. You can run without it if the motor stays cool enough. I run with it on. As for the HP diffferance, the OPS is a little down on power but with sport hydro's, most will tell you that in race trim they don't run flat out all the time. My boat when trimed right can run as fast as the CMB's and MAC's. In the district I run in, there is another AC hull that is powered by a CMB gold head. In compitition, he has a little more speed on the straight but I catch him in the turns. This is because he has to back off slightly to keep the boat from hopping in the turn while I keep mine at full throttle.

I can give you some help. You should contact Ray Samatez on this site. He runs OPS in most of his boats and helped me when I was looking for a third channel needle for my 45. I'll load some photos onto my album on this site. I do have one of the sport 40 now.

I'll try and give you what help I can. My motor is the drum rotor style with the straight carb. It is the newer version. The water colling on the exhaust is an add on part. You can run without it if the motor stays cool enough. I run with it on. As for the HP diffferance, the OPS is a little down on power but with sport hydro's, most will tell you that in race trim they don't run flat out all the time. My boat when trimed right can run as fast as the CMB's and MAC's. In the district I run in, there is another AC hull that is powered by a CMB gold head. In compitition, he has a little more speed on the straight but I catch him in the turns. This is because he has to back off slightly to keep the boat from hopping in the turn while I keep mine at full throttle.I can give you some help. You should contact Ray Samatez on this site. He runs OPS in most of his boats and helped me when I was looking for a third channel needle for my 45. I'll load some photos onto my album on this site. I do have one of the sport 40 now.
I don't have a sport 40 in the fleet(yet) but try setting the turn fin @ 12-15 degrees, Glenn

Back