Futaba Fasst 2.4 Range

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When you say you get interference but not failsafe, how is that?? Failsafe IS the result of interference. What are you observing that makes you believe you are getting interference?
You say the throttle trim does not go down low enough. You need to adjust your linkage if you cannot trim low enough for what you want.

If you push and hold the "SEL" button for 2 seconds it will go backwards through the menus. You will get to the model select screen very fast. Then you will have to step through the model once there.

The third channel is not proportional. It is ON/OFF on the 3PM. I use it mixed with throttle to set a high idle for starting. Works great for that.

I use both receivers and have not noticed a difference between the two. YMMV.
The third channel on the 3PM is factory default to an on/off switch. However, it can be reassigned through simple programming covered in the manual to a trim type switch, DT3 or DT4 for example, and have proportional control. Once you reassign the function then it is set up like the other channels with servo reversing, end point adjustment, etc. This works well for third channel needle control as DT3 or DT4 are located on the handle where your thumb would normally rest and needle adjustments could be made without taking your hands off the throttle or steering control. Just a thought.

The third channel is not proportional. It is ON/OFF on the 3PM. I use it mixed with throttle to set a high idle for starting. Works great for that.
What the last guy said...the third channel IS proportional on the 3PM. You need to take it off the default on/off switch. Why futaba put the radio out with the third channel being defaulted to on/off is beyond me. I am guessing it has something to do with an RC car application.

I moved mine to the first button below the throttle and use it for third channel adjustment (variable, not on/off) on my D-mono.

Sean

Last edited by a moderator:
If the antenna mounting is vertical, the transmitter antenna needs to be vertical, the signal attenuation is 20 db from vertical to horizantal (cross polarization). I have had a few issues with interference with mine, but not enough to make it go into failsafe long enough to kill the engine. This only has happened sporadically.

The 603fs receiver does better than the 603ff, I have used both and I like the 603fs better, I think its just the extra antenna, as I dont always hold the antenna vertical as I should on the transmitter.

The throttle trim needs some attention on the transmitter, ( I run gassers and the trim doesnt go down far enough to get the idle speed low enough), it can be done though with epa settings etc on the low end.

Also having to hit the select button 14 times to get to the model change etc, it is quite a procedure to go thru for that on the 3pm model.

I need to try the third channel as I dont think it has a linear setting, eventually I would like to try a third channel needle on the boat.

All in all I love the system! I havent used it a full season yet, but its a thumbs up so far.........

Some of the systems have heat issues, and binding issues, I havent experienced this on my systems to date.

mike sr
The only real difference we've noticed between the Futaba FF receiver and the FS is the resistance or ability to handle excess heat. This issue was first noticed in R/C cars with the FF receiver experiencing thermal shut down. I've had a couple buds experience the same problem in their scale boats (Mikey for one) had the FF receiver in the radio box next to the pipe under the cowl and the Rx went into thermal. We changed out the FF and installed a FS and to my knowledge had no more issues. Since then Mike has used the FF in other boats where heat is not an issue with no problems.

Just to clarify both FF and FS receivers have two antennas. The second antenna on the FS is inside the case.

Good luck, the FASST system is proving itself to be very solid, I'm going into my third year with it without issue

gh

How long is the antenna wire on the 603ff and 603fs rec?
Brent
7" antenna total length (last 1" is actual antenna), specs as listed by Futaba-

603FF-

Reception Antenna: External

Power Requirement: 6V NiCd battery

Size: 1.5 x 1 x .55" (39 x 26 x 14mm)

Weight .45oz (12.8g)

603FS-

Reception Antenna: Diversity type (internal and external)

Power Requirement: 6V NiCd battery

DSC Function Available

Size: 1.5 x 1 x .55" (39 x 26 x 14mm)

Weight .50oz (14.1g)

PLEASE NOTE the 6 volt power requirement, yes it makes a difference!

Last edited by a moderator:
The entire antenna "wire" is about 7 inches, but the antenna itself is much shorter, it is the exposed looking wire at the end. The rest is just small diameter coaxial cable to allow you to get the antenna up and out.

And as DOn pointed out, the difference between the two receivers is the FF has only the single external antenna and the FS has a second internal antenna.

The third channel on the 3PM is factory default to an on/off switch. However, it can be reassigned through simple programming covered in the manual to a trim type switch, DT3 or DT4 for example, and have proportional control. Once you reassign the function then it is set up like the other channels with servo reversing, end point adjustment, etc. This works well for third channel needle control as DT3 or DT4 are located on the handle where your thumb would normally rest and needle adjustments could be made without taking your hands off the throttle or steering control. Just a thought.
I had not noticed that. Thanks for pointing it out. I use mine with the PMIX to set a throttle up position for starting my gas engines.

I use the DT3 and DT4 for adjusting Dual rate and expo on steering.

The other fun feature is the Condition menu. You can set up a second condition actuated by the switch on the handle below DT3 and DT4. You can change everything except what you set in the System menu. All the throws, endpoints, mixing, etc. can all be set up differently if you feel a need for it. Kind of fun to experiment with 2 set ups that you can switch between while runing.

Latest posts

Back